Shadowfall - The Blade of Souls

Battal

Violet almost slaps Joseph, but barely stays her hand.

"I'm so f*****g sorry I'm worried about the immediate threat! What you said is obviously important, but how are we supposed to fight it when we're starving and freezing to death!? Last time, we had Will's supplies, but not this time! We don't have survival handed to us on a silver platter!"

Joseph whirled back around to face Violet. "We've been here for a year after Shadowfall, don't you remember? Or wait, you weren't. Because you just left. Well, surprise, it's not that hard. All you have to to is zap a bunny, then you're fine." His hand tensed around Pops.

Violet and Joseph didn't notice while they were fighting that White was sitting on the ground slowly rocking back and forth, mumbling to herself.

"Home... family... lost... cold... loud... pain... burning..."

She whispered those words in the exact same order over and over again.

Violet's eyes widen with rage.

"Is that what you think!? We just left!? We were KIDNAPPED! We were accused of a crime we didn't commit! We were almost murdered, but we were saved! And you wanna know by what!? The slaughtering of hundreds of innocent people! We escaped in the chaos! Will wasn't this bad before that! If you still think we just left, we just wanted to go, then F**K YOU! You don't even deserve that sword! You'll f**king be HALF the man he was!"

At this point, Violet is in tears, but her hair has completely risen and her fists are clenched.

"WHY DIDN'T YOU DIE INSTEAD OF HIM!?"

"Don't you bring my father into this." Joseph's voice seethed with a cold anger. "But staying here, alone, abandoned, I thought the same thing." He floated away from Violet, shaking his head. "Don't act like you know my father more than I do. No one will ever be half the man he is. Nothing will ever come close." He turned away, considering floating off into the forest, away from the mess he stumbled into.

(The drama is okay when it's over something interesting, not Joseph's jerkiness or something. This kind of group-being-torn-apart-from-the-inside thing, though, I actually like, and it makes sense. Considering what they're gone through, and the circumstances under which they parted.)

White went quiet, stopped rocking, and looked up. The blank look on her face was quickly overtaken by fear.

A rabbit hopped along at a steady pace. It's fur had turned white to blend in with sparking snow. Lifting its ears, the rabbit looked around with innocent brown eyes, it's nose twitched slightly. On the top of the rabbits head were two horns, that instead of being threatening only added to the adorablness of the creature. With one more hop, the cute, innocent creature leaned down and prepared to take a bite of a carrot that had likely fallen out of White's pocket. White's expression changed again, this time from fear to rage.

Without a sound White grabbed a nearby stick with her uninjured arm and plunged it into the unsuspecting rabbit. The squeal it made only seemed to make her more enraged. She plunged the stick again and again into her helpless victim long after the squeals had stopped until all that was left was an unrecognizable mass of blood and flesh. The bloodied stick fell into the red snow as White's expression became blank once more. She placed her blood splattered face back on her knees and resumed her mumbling and gentle rocking.

(And that, my friends, is how an insane person reacts to seeing a beardling for the first time.)

(I was waiting for something from Will, but I guess I'll post.

By the way, Mena, remember to remind me not to roleplay as a beardling with White around.)

Joseph glanced at White, and shook his head. "I'll help you with these two." His voice was much quieter now, deprived of most emotion besides exhaustion and defeat. "but then I won't burden you with my presence any longer."

(dead silence)

(Oh well, good a time as any for a good ol' villain introduction!)

Links of chain mail clinked against eachother as the armored warrior stepped into the cavern.  The only light in the chamber was the dim flickering of his armor, which created a tiny island of dark red light amidst the gloom.  A hot wind gusted through the room, causing the flames to waver.

"Lucem."  The man said, and the cave suddenly filled with light as a glowing ball of orange light, like a tiny sun, appeared near the middle of the ceiling.  The glow illuminated the entire cavern with its light, and the temperature raised noticeably.  The chamber was entirely sandstone; if one were to look closely, they would notice faint carvings cut into every inch of the rock.  At the far end of the cavern, a formation like a frozen waterfall stretched from ceiling to floor.  It was made out of a pristine white stone that glittered like a constellation from the warrior's light.  In front of this crystal, there stood a pedestal.

(New character:

The Pedestal of Darkness [Antagonist]

The most evil piece of furniture around.)

The armored man steps up to the pedestal, whispering "Quaerere" while holding his hand over it.  After a few moments, he pulled back his hand, confident that no traps were present, and placed his gauntlet on the surface of the podium.  It never reached the stone; instead, it stopped about four inches away from it, halted by some kind of force.  It was like he was trying to press the opposite ends of two magnets together.  After the man was sure he could not push past it, he gave up, stepping backwards to ponder a solution to the problem.

A couple minutes passed; then 15; then 30.  And still the man came no closer to getting rid of the wall that blocked his way.  He had just settled back to thinking after another failed attempt when he heard a clatter behind him.  That of a stone kicked by a careless step.

His sword was out of its sheath in a millesecond, faster than even the most trained soldier could manage.  In another uncountably small span of time, it was pointed directly at the intruder.  The weapon was about three feet long, colored a dark, crystalline red, and it seemed to flicker from one shade to the other in the light.  Both of the edges were fiery orange, as though they had been pulled from the forge mere seconds ago.  The end of the blade was curved slightly, so it looked almost like some kind of gigantic machete.  The hilt was made of a midnight black material, and the handle was dark wood wrapped in grey leather.