Shadowfall - The Blade of Souls

Battal

The corrupted shade reaches White's pile of logs, having followed the scent of her despair.  It surveys the campsite with cold, pale eyes; then, seeing no sign of its quarry, lets out a painfully loud wail, one that sounds not unlike the dying scream of an animal.  It begins to search for any sign of its prey.

Too scared, confused, and in pain to ask questions, White runs behind them toward the camp, putting the picture back in her locket as she goes.

By the time she reached the camp the pain in her head stopped and the whispering was incomprehensible again. She quickly rumeged around in a chest and found a spear, then she crafted some flimsy armor out of grass she gathered.

'It's not much, but it will have to do.'

As she started to run back, her heard a wail and quickened her pace, hoping those to people weren't hurt.

Edited by MenaAthena

Joseph had not heard the sound of tree chopping as he was caught up in his thoughts, but a sharp wail jolted him back to the present. His eyes darted to where he heard the source, and began stealthily floating towards it, Pops's blade held tightly in his hand.

Will and Violet stand back to back, waiting for the Forgotten to lunge at them. But it wasn't.

"Something's wrong. I don't think it's that close. And if it's far away, and we already hear the whispers..."

"This one is very powerful. We have to be careful, or we could very well die here."

As abruptly as it stops, White's headache suddenly begins again, more painful than ever.  Looking across to the forest's edge, she sees a pair of pale blue eyes staring back at her.  They burn with malice, and, strangely enough, a bit of sadness.

The eyes stare out at her for a few seconds; and then the demon steps out into the open, revealing itself.

The Forgotten's face is completely smooth and featureless, save for two eyesockets.  Its torso is skeletal, and seems to be held together by nothing; the bones just float in the shape of a ribcage and spine.  It has no arms, but two appendages that resemble ones rise out from its shoulderblades.  They end in large, curved spikes.  It has no legs; instead, it seems to simply levitate.  The shade's entire body is a charred black, like it had just spent a couple weeks in an incinerator.

It continues to stare at White, making no hostile action save for the pounding in her head.

Randy felt really bad because of coldness. He take some twigs and made a campfire.

- What the hell I did? I don't even know where am I. Maybe I should stay here for a while.

He felt hungry. He though where there can be any. Maybe some vegetables? Man in armor saw a carrot.

- Here we go!

When he though that he want to have it in his own hands right now, it flied out from the ground and just fell on his hand.

- What... to the... Seventh... Hell's...!?

Randy connected facts and did something else. He though about nearby tall grass. It cracked on the ground and levitated into air.

- Humph... What if... rope?

Grass parts connected to not so well done rope.

- Oh... so I need some practic at it.

White falls backward in surprise, but quickly gets up.

'What the heck is that thing?!'

She just stares at it.

​'It doesn't seen to be attacking me, unless it's causing my headache. Maybe it can be reasoned with.'

She tries not to sound completely terrified. It doesn't work.

"H-hello?"

<I know you.>  Says a voice in White's head.  The voice muffles the whispers, but they still carry on in the background.  The voice itself is not raspy or hissing like a generic evil villain's; albeit, it is smooth and quiet, like that of a reclusive person.  And somehow, that makes it all the more terrifying.

The Forgotten itself continues to stare, having not made any movements yet.

<I know you, White.>  The voice says.  <I read your mind like an open book.  Such a dull, dull story it tells.  Of course, except for the more recent chapters.>

The Forgotten continues to watch.

Joseph finally came to the scene, floating behind White. Another survivor... He hoped he wouldn't disturb her too much with his appearance, because he would need her to focus on the Forgotten... either that or run from it. "Sorry to interrupt this this conversation, miss, but perhaps talking to that isn't the greatest of ideas."

White was startled greatly by the new voice behind her. She quickly turned around and fell back in surprise, again. Looking at him with blankly with her mouth open, she just sat there on her rear, speechless. 

'I've completely lost it, haven't I?'

Violet and Will looked around for the Forgotten, when they turned to find White, the Forgotten, and Joseph standing within yards of each other.

"Is that... Joseph!?"

"Holy ****, and it's the Forgotten."

Will and Violet run toward the cluster of beings.

"Well, Joseph, it's been awhile. Glad to see you ditched those legs I worked so hard on. Wanna go back to old times and slaughter some shades?"

Violet tries to say something, but no words come out of her mouth at seeing Pops's sword. Memories come back of her temporary father figure.

"No, you haven't lost anything." He nodded at White, then faces Will and Violet. A mix of curiosity and an odd bit of happiness flashed in his eyes, but they vanished quickly. "Yes, sorry for that. They grew a bit bothersome. Perhaps I didn't oil them frequently enough." He glared at the shade. "But let's not bore this one with our talking."

The Forgotten remains silent for a few seconds; then it screeches a battle cry.  The wail is one of despair, and bloodlust, the force and loudness of it enough to momentarily deafen the group.  However, it still does not move from its position.

The shade vanishes seconds before Pops can reach it, reappearing behind Joseph.  With a flick of its wrist, his arms and legs are bound in shadowy coils.  His concentration breaks and he falls to the ground.