Sleeping In Multiplayer

So I've been thinking... How will the sleep system work on multiplayer? Let's suppose you pick Wickerbottom and your friend Woodie, what will happen if he build a Tent and try to sleep on it?

Maybe it will work like Minecraft: All players must be sleeping for the time pass. So this mean that if someone choose Wickerbottom, no one will be able to sleep.

What do you guys have in mind?

I want the option to sleep individually!

I want someone to be lookout so nothing comes and kills me in the night. XDD

Also the idea of someone "keeping watch" feels more like survival and cooler to me, it's just aesthetically pleasing honestly. XDD

EDIT: Apparently Seth covered the sleeping mechanic a little more specifically already in the Fireside Chat topic for July 22nd and it's gonna work pretty similarly to this. Super happy to know I wasn't far off! :grin:

It'd be cool to have sleep work independently for each character and happen in real time, it would automatically make you immune to harsh seasonal effects like freezing or overheating, and slowly regenerate your sanity and health, but obviously your hunger would continue to tick down, and maybe your visibility would be very limited (maybe just in a small circle around your character).

You could wake up at any time, since having to patiently watch your character sleep for a full night or day, probably around 4-6 minutes in real time depending on the season and when you go to sleep could be a little too immersion-breaking.

Also curious about Woodie since his Werebeaver form skips to the next day. Maybe they'll make him konk out for a short period of time, similarly in real time, maybe making enemies ignore him as though he were detected as dead to them, then have him change back to his human form, halfway insane and starving as per usual post-Werebeaver symptoms. :razz:

Lastly, what about Mandrakes? One of their main features is that if you cook them and/or eat them cooked, they scream so loud it knocks you out until the next day. Could this be a worldwide occurrence that skips the day for everyone? Would it only affect those within a screen's length away? Or would the mechanic be scrapped altogether? Lots of interesting questions regarding dealing with time skips in Don't Starve Together. I wonder if any of the changes made to accommodate multiplayer might be added as optional single player features as well? It could potentially streamline the gameplay more and I wouldn't mind at least having them available as options.

EDIT: Apparently Seth covered the sleeping mechanic a little more specifically already in the Fireside Chat topic for July 22nd and it's gonna work pretty similarly to this. Super happy to know I wasn't far off! :grin:

It'd be cool to have sleep work independently for each character and happen in real time, it would automatically make you immune to harsh seasonal effects like freezing or overheating, and slowly regenerate your sanity and health, but obviously your hunger would continue to tick down, and maybe your visibility would be very limited (maybe just in a small circle around your character).

You could wake up at any time, since having to patiently watch your character sleep for a full night or day, probably around 4-6 minutes in real time depending on the season and when you go to sleep could be a little too immersion-breaking.

Also curious about Woodie since his Werebeaver form skips to the next day. Maybe they'll make him konk out for a short period of time, similarly in real time, maybe making enemies ignore him as though he were detected as dead to them, then have him change back to his human form, halfway insane and starving as per usual post-Werebeaver symptoms. :razz:

Lastly, what about Mandrakes? One of their main features is that if you cook them and/or eat them cooked, they scream so loud it knocks you out until the next day. Could this be a worldwide occurrence that skips the day for everyone? Would it only affect those within a screen's length away? Or would the mechanic be scrapped altogether? Lots of interesting questions regarding dealing with time skips in Don't Starve Together. I wonder if any of the changes made to accommodate multiplayer might be added as optional single player features as well? It could potentially streamline the gameplay more and I wouldn't mind at least having them available as options.

If you are sleeping, I think you should just have to sleep the night, unless somebody attacks you or something, causing you to wake.

Maybe when you cook/eat a Mandrake you will faint and won't be able to wake up. Maybe they can do a system that doesn't allow the players to attack fainted players. Or maybe they will be able to. It's a sacrifice, and if you're playing coop it's safe.

Archived