The Pros and Cons.

Without giving anything away...

Cons:  It's much harder.

Pros:  It revitalises the game, poses new and interesting challenges, and is much harder.

It's awesome! You'll love it. Stop wasting time and get it already!

See,that's what I said.I don't know very much about the content,and this really does not help.Sorry.I mean,content,like an example of an item or an ability of one of the new characters.

I'm sure you've been to the Wiki and read all about it. OK. Here you go... new items, new threats, new mechanics, new craftables, 2 new seasons, new Giants, new creatures AND 2 new characters. Hunting Koalephants isn't a guarantee anymore.

If I say anything other than what I did, I think it would be a spoiler and I will not do that. Go to Youtube and check out some videos if you feel like you absolutely must.

BUT, if you like vanilla Don't Starve, you'll love RoG for sure. What's it cost? $5... So if you equate a dollar per hour of enjoyment. In two hours you'll feel like you stole RoG from the developers.

I'm sure you've been to the Wiki and read all about it. OK. Here you go... new items, new threats, new mechanics, new craftables, 2 new seasons, new Giants, new creatures AND 2 new characters. Hunting Koalephants isn't a guarantee anymore.

If I say anything other than what I did, I think it would be a spoiler and I will not do that. Go to Youtube and check out some videos if you feel like you absolutely must.

BUT, if you like vanilla Don't Starve, you'll love RoG for sure. What's it cost? $5... So if you equate a dollar per hour of enjoyment. In two hours you'll feel like you stole RoG from the developers.

Well,I sure don't wanna be a thief!Have they added some new magic items?Just reply yes/no

Hey,I haven't got RoG yet,but I am really planning to,tough I don't have solid knowledge *badum-tssss* about the exact new content added.Can anyone help me by listing some pros and cons that occoured to you about the expansion?

If you're going from Vanilla Don't Starve to Reign of Giants. Rabbits spoil now. You cant stuff 90 rabbits inside chests and then eat them all through winter. That's what made me the most sad about Reign of Giants. No infinite rabbit chests like in Vanilla Don't Starve. Life is cruel.  :wilson_ill: 

Though if you seriously want to get into Reign of Giants. Know a couple of things, there are many new items some of which are very important to your survival. I think the ones that aren't obvious are related to the new rain mechanics:

When it rains, everything now gets WET. What this means is that you slowly get wet. (A meter shows up indicating your level of soakedness) Your items do too, and anything you pick up will be wet as well (Adding to your water meter) Once the meter fills up more than half way or even a little below that you suffer SANITY LOSS. If you're not careful, this can quickly cause your character to go Fifth Street from BONKERS in no time! To protect yourself you need new items!

Such as the Pretty Parasol, it protects you from the rain that is now prevalent in the world and requires Flowers, Twigs and Grass to create. It also gives you a small sanity regen aura - and decays quickly even when not in your hands. (Saves you form the rain early, but it's much better to have an Umbrella later) If you combine the Pretty Parasol with the Grass Hat and then stand under a tree - you will become Dry over time. DONT FORGET THIS TRICK!

Bosses now have a random chance to spawn every season or so. Not just the Deerclops!

Rabbit holes now seal up after it rains!

Wigfrid, who is my favorite character and the last you will unlock in RoG is awesome!

• Has a flat 25% boost to damage and takes 25% less damage from all sources!
  • Kill Monsters, get health and sanity back once they're dead!
  • This lets you kill spiders, eat their meat, and get your health/sanity back by killing more!
  • Has the highest base damage resistance and damage at the start of the game with her Battle Helm and Battle Spear. When both are equipped you have 80% Damage Resistance + 25% Damage resistance and do 52.5 Damage! MAMAMIA!
  • Craft above average weapons and armor using less resources! (Spear costs Twigs, Rope and Flint, Battle Spear costs Flint, Gold and Twigs and does more damage) Don't forget you can always get more gold from the Pig King!
  • Only eats meat! But what's wrong with that? You can kill stuff super easy! With the Crock-Pot her downside pretty much turns into an Upside!

THIS DOESNT EVEN BEGIN TO TALK ABOUT WEBBER!

• He's a bit tricky to unlock, Find Webbers Skull by killing spiders then bury it in a dug up grave. (Spiders will spawn!)
  • Webber counts as a Monster! Pigs WILL attack him!
  • BECAUSE HE COUNTS AS A MONSTER, SPIDERS WONT!
  • Can eat Monster Meat with No penalties!
  • Can feed Spiders to get a posse of about 6 spider friends that will fight for you in no time!
  • Starts with Spider Eggs! Plant your own spider den where-ever you want! (I place mine near other spider dens)
  • Grows a sweet silky beard you can shave to make clothes out of!
  • Has the best voice in the game aside from Wigfrid!

​Have fun playing RoG! Yes there are new magical items! Alot of them!

If you're going from Vanilla Don't Starve to Reign of Giants. Rabbits spoil now. You cant stuff 90 rabbits inside chests and then eat them all through winter. That's what made me the most sad about Reign of Giants. No infinite rabbit chests like in Vanilla Don't Starve. Life is cruel.  :wilson_ill: 

Though if you seriously want to get into Reign of Giants. Know a couple of things, there are many new items some of which are very important to your survival. I think the ones that aren't obvious are related to the new rain mechanics:

When it rains, everything now gets WET. What this means is that you slowly get wet. (A meter shows up indicating your level of soakedness) Your items do too, and anything you pick up will be wet as well (Adding to your water meter) Once the meter fills up more than half way or even a little below that you suffer SANITY LOSS. If you're not careful, this can quickly cause your character to go Fifth Street from BONKERS in no time! To protect yourself you need new items!

Such as the Pretty Parasol, it protects you from the rain that is now prevalent in the world and requires Flowers, Twigs and Grass to create. It also gives you a small sanity regen aura - and decays quickly even when not in your hands. (Saves you form the rain early, but it's much better to have an Umbrella later) If you combine the Pretty Parasol with the Grass Hat and then stand under a tree - you will become Dry over time. DONT FORGET THIS TRICK!

Bosses now have a random chance to spawn every season or so. Not just the Deerclops!

Rabbit holes now seal up after it rains!

Wigfrid, who is my favorite character and the last you will unlock in RoG is awesome!

• Has a flat 25% boost to damage and takes 25% less damage from all sources!
  • Kill Monsters, get health and sanity back once they're dead!
  • This lets you kill spiders, eat their meat, and get your health/sanity back by killing more!
  • Has the highest base damage resistance and damage at the start of the game with her Battle Helm and Battle Spear. When both are equipped you have 80% Damage Resistance + 25% Damage resistance and do 52.5 Damage! MAMAMIA!
  • Craft above average weapons and armor using less resources! (Spear costs Twigs, Rope and Flint, Battle Spear costs Flint, Gold and Twigs and does more damage) Don't forget you can always get more gold from the Pig King!
  • Only eats meat! But what's wrong with that? You can kill stuff super easy! With the Crock-Pot her downside pretty much turns into an Upside!

THIS DOESNT EVEN BEGIN TO TALK ABOUT WEBBER!

• He's a bit tricky to unlock, Find Webbers Skull by killing spiders then bury it in a dug up grave. (Spiders will spawn!)
  • Webber counts as a Monster! Pigs WILL attack him!
  • BECAUSE HE COUNTS AS A MONSTER, SPIDERS WONT!
  • Can eat Monster Meat with No penalties!
  • Can feed Spiders to get a posse of about 6 spider friends that will fight for you in no time!
  • Starts with Spider Eggs! Plant your own spider den where-ever you want! (I place mine near other spider dens)
  • Grows a sweet silky beard you can shave to make clothes out of!
  • Has the best voice in the game aside from Wigfrid!

​Have fun playing RoG! Yes there are new magical items! Alot of them!

Holy ice cream.That is amazing!Also the Webber character.I always wanted to control that little f-ers and send them to die for me.Thanks for opening my eyes!

Oh and you also get HEAT in Summer like you get COLD in Winter. I won't list specifics but many items address this.

The add-on also is toggable for new games so you can choose to play with it or not. I don't remember if old games before the add-on can activate this by going to a new world or not. 

If you really want detailed spoilers, you can go here

I'd buy the add-on. It's a game's worth of new content (and almost an entirely new game) for just $5 that you can turn on and off each game!

Without giving anything away...

Cons:  It's much harder.

Pros:  It revitalises the game, poses new and interesting challenges, and is much harder.

How is being harder a con, really? If you don't like the difficulty you can always tone it down in the world options, but being harder by nature isn't something you can do so easily like that. I think Reign of Giants is a direct upgrade to Don't Starve, the only reason it was added as standard content is because of how wildly different it is (the community would complain about difficulty increases/too many changes), and because Klei does need a little cash on the side (which they deserve).

How is being harder a con, really? If you don't like the difficulty you can always tone it down in the world options, but being harder by nature isn't something you can do so easily like that. I think Reign of Giants is a direct upgrade to Don't Starve, the only reason it was added as standard content is because of how wildly different it is (the community would complain about difficulty increases/too many changes), and because Klei does need a little cash on the side (which they deserve).

Yeah, it was kind of a joke - I put that under both pros and cons, and that was the only thing I ever see anyone complaining about after getting RoG - 'It's impossible, I keep dying, etc...'.  So for some people that's a con.  But as you can see from my pros I don't really think it's a con myself. ^^

I agree with W.

Vanilla Don't Starve is okay, but it feels lacking once you've played RoG.

There's a lot more things that go on in the game with the expansion, and my favorite of the additions RoG gives is the new full moon.

Instead of being dark you can see at night, and mushtrees sprout.

You can get Glommer during that time.

and the whole island is tinted blue by the moonlight; it's very beautiful. :y

Yeah, it was kind of a joke - I put that under both pros and cons, and that was the only thing I ever see anyone complaining about after getting RoG - 'It's impossible, I keep dying, etc...'.  So for some people that's a con.  But as you can see from my pros I don't really think it's a con myself. ^^

For sure man!

Archived