Don't starve Thirst system.

Don't starve Thirst system.

Right now there isn't much to do with the ocean from the environment. (http://dont-starve-g....com/wiki/Ocean).

I was thinking that this thirst system should act similar to real life and somewhat mimic the Hunger System. It would drop faster than Hunger, but would also fill up faster, in term requiring a bit more attention but not hindering the game's progression or changing it to "Don't Dehydrate." To prevent yourself from succumbing to death from thirst, you'd need to drink water from a water source. When the thirst meter reached 0, you slowly lose life (pretty much like hunger).

And here comes the neat thing.

You can also preserve water in various objects like glasses, bottles, flasks, vials and kegs.

These items are craftable and can store different amounts of water collected from the oceans, ponds and other water sources..

It should also be an item that can help you collect water from the rain itself.

You should also be able mix water with various items from alchemy to create juices and potions.

For example juices, besides restoring thirst meter, it also fills sanity (for a low amount), and potions it also fills health (again, for a low amount)

This would be a great feature in Don't Starve as it would change how the players act and where they set camp.

Hunger drains slowly and regenerates slowly and Thirst drains fast and regenerates fast. Having both, will make you act accordingly in order to survive.

It would be a great idea to also have a filter that can be built to filter ocean water. Drinking salt water would drain your sanity. Some wells would also be great, allowing you to find a certain sweet-spot where you can grab some water. I can already see this being an enjoyable part of the game, great idea. Maybe even a way to collect rain, who knows/

As Crazed stated, building a filter to transform sea water into normal water is a great idea. I was thinking about the "bigfoot" from the Old Bell. As stated in trivia "If one listens splash sound is audible at the beginning and end of each attack, indicating Bigfoot might live in the sea." So if you leech too much water, bigfoot will be disturbed and may come to harm you, similar to the Treeguard when chopping down too many trees.

This is just another suggestion, awesome idea with the thirst meter ,would love to see this in game.

Thing is due to the nature of ds's world generation oceans are easily accessible everywhere, it would just end up being a matter of annoying unneeded micro management.

Speaking of, I'm really fed up with seeing oceans three steps from wherever you are. ds could use a little generation update or few more options for thicker, more accurately looping islands .-.

I honestly hate this idea.

Could you explain yourself? Why do you have this?

Thing is due to the nature of ds's world generation oceans are easily accessible everywhere, it would just end up being a matter of annoying unneeded micro management.

Speaking of, I'm really fed up with seeing oceans three steps from wherever you are. ds could use a little generation update or few more options for thicker, more accurately looping islands .-.

It would not be an annoying and unneeded micro management because you can store water with you in glasses, bottles, kegs etc. (and they should stack of course). And in the end you'll only have one slot occupied (just like other important items (shovel, picking axe etc)). So a stack of a few kegs won't make you go back and forth for the water.

It would not be an annoying and unneeded micro management because you can store water with you in glasses, bottles, kegs etc. (and they should stack of course). And in the end you'll only have one slot occupied (just like other important items (shovel, picking axe etc)). So a stack of a few kegs won't make you go back and forth for the water.

But then you have to waste materials, carry around a bottle (which wastes inventory space), which you have to fill up every time you go out.

If I go to the caves, im coming back with a lot of stuff, and coming back alive is hard enough as it is, your should be low on health, hunger and sanity in most cases.

I don't want one or two of those spaces occupied by a need to fill a second hunger bar.

Basicaly what Ogrecakes said, thats far too much micro-managment, this same idea has been brought before many, MANY times, and thats the main reason. Also what a heck does this has to do with DST?

But then you have to waste materials, carry around a bottle (which wastes inventory space), which you have to fill up every time you go out.

If I go to the caves, im coming back with a lot of stuff, and coming back alive is hard enough as it is, your should be low on health, hunger and sanity in most cases.

I don't want one or two of those spaces occupied by a need to fill a second hunger bar.

So you basically do not want the game to be harder. The game already is too easy sincerely. And I am sure Klei won't make this an annoying feature, this is not something that can be added through a mod.

So you basically do not want the game to be harder. The game already is too easy sincerely. And I am sure Klei won't make this an annoying feature, this is not something that can be added through a mod.

I want it to be harder. I don't want it to be much more tedious with little payoff for making it harder.

edit: but yea, mods, that's fine

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=266906110&searchtext=thirst

It is generally agreed upon that it is an irritating feature.

And sorry mister 100 hours Don't Starve master, but do you want the games difficulty to be judged by redundant, boring tasks? I don't.

Maybe as a thing during the RoG summer only, just to give Summer a bit more of a unique thing. Maybe.

I don't really know how to implement it without it being completely annoying.

In conjunction with overheating? As in drinking stored water would aid in cooldown, similar to eating ice? The thirst meter would only appear in summer and maybe keeping it topped off would slow health decay from heat. 

Just a couple thoughts. 

The devs have already commented on this idea, I think; and like mostly everyone here, they think it would be far too micromanegy and wouldn't add much to the actual game.  Instead of letting the player explore and

So you basically do not want the game to be harder.

There is a difference between a challenging mechanic and a tedious mechanic.  A challenging mechanic adds to difficulty, while adding an obstacle that the character enjoys overcoming.  A tedious mechanic adds difficulty, but adds an irritating obstacle that the player doesn't really want to do.  Which one do you think this idea is?

And sorry mister 100 hours Don't Starve master

Now you are just being rude for no reason, this was a suggestion that I would like to see implemented.

What does a debate on a suggestion has to do with 100 hours Don't Starve master?Do you mean 140 hours aren't enough to know the game?

You stated that this is an irritating feature and will occupy an inventory you an inventory slot.

In Reign of Giants, a wetness meter is implemented, and in the seasons it rains a lot you need to carry an umbrella, raincoat or something else.If we take it like you said,any meter instead of health is annoying.

And who said you need to carry it all the time?If you return to your base in less than a day you can leave it in a fridge or chest.It will only be carried before making a base,when you do not have a lot of things to carry anyway, and in caves or exploration trips, which isn't that annoying.

Wetness can be easily counteracted while staying as something you have to monitor closely, and it rarely kills you; like hunger, it's more of a barrier that you have to overcome rather than a flat-out wall.  Another thing is that no matter where you are, you can always create ways to fight hunger, like farms and jerky racks and berry bushes.  With water, you'd always have to build your base near an ocean or a pond just to keep a supply of water going.

And with that said, how are you supposed to spend your first couple of days?  You either get the luck of spawning near a pond or the materials to build a water purifier.  In most cases, you'd never make it past the 2-day mark just because you couldn't find a pond.

What does a debate on a suggestion has to do with 100 hours Don't Starve master?Do you mean 140 hours aren't enough to know the game?

Newer players would have a hard time balancing sanity, hunger, and thirst, and wetness if they start in spring

In Reign of Giants, a wetness meter is implemented, and in the seasons it rains a lot you need to carry an umbrella, raincoat or something else.If we take it like you said,any meter instead of health is annoying.

This is a problem really only relevant to spring.

And what are you trying to say with that point? Yeah, umbrellas/rain gear take up space, but they aren't required all the time, and they can be equipped over other equipment spots.

Thats like saying "Why have armor" or "why have a weapon"

Now you are just being rude for no reason.

If we take it like you said,any meter instead of health is annoying.

If you can't take some criticism with a little salt, then don't post it.

And if your defending statements are going to be sarcastic and rude, then I won't be so eager to show you any respect.

And who said you need to carry it all the time?If you return to your base in less than a day you can leave it in a fridge or chest.It will only be carried before making a base,when you do not have a lot of things to carry anyway, and in caves or exploration trips, which isn't that annoying.

Some trips can take days, and will take even longer if you have to keep stopping to go find some more water.

And if you go to the ruins, your going to want to take as much stuff as you can, and leave. I don't want one or two slots taken up by a boring, tedious, but necessary mechanic.

Archived