Should I use a Meat Effigy?

I've never used a meat effigy, partly because I've never been without a touchstone, but mainly because I don't like the idea of having reduced health and having to go insane to farm beard hair unless I only play as Wilson.

Sometimes I've been down to around 6-10 health and survived, so with a meat effigy I would have died, but then I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry?

If you use/don't use meat effigies please tell me about your experiences to help me decide whether to start using them and how to use them wisely.  I like this world and don't want to lose it.

Also what's your method of getting beard hair (assuming you don't play as Wilson)?

Thank you!

If you're playing as Wilson, make one after your first winter or during if you can keep warm without your beard. The only characters I wouldn't suggest it for is Maxwell or a non upgraded WX since their health is so low already.

I am playing as fully upgraded WX, but I still have one in my base and one in my inventory (just in case). My method of getting beard is: get down, find ruins, go to ruins, find a place where monkeys live, wait for nightmare circle to reach its peak, kill monkeys, get the beard, done.  

Thanks for the replies.

I know about methods for reducing sanity, just wondered what methods people actually use and how well they work.

@JustA4ever

Sounds likely that I'd need that meat effigy before I got the beard hair in that case - I don't have much luck in the caves, never came out alive yet.   Hoping to change that with this play through, as I need to go and get more nitrite and gold, so I'll take it more slowly this time.

Having 2 meat effigies reduces your health by 60 then?  I'd be worried about being more likely to die because of the lower health, but that works out ok for you?

Having 2 meat effigies reduces your health by 60 then?  I'd be worried about being more likely to die because of the lower health, but that works out ok for you?

it works pretty well, since only one effigy is placed: other one that is in my inventory is only crafted and ready to place and since it's not placed it doesn't decrease my health :)

I usually hammer down the bunny houses on caves and build them near my tooth traps.When i need beard hair, i just put the nightmare amulet and lure them to the toothtraps. Works perfectly.

But on my most recent world, as maxwell, it's impossible to survive with meat effigy. It's much more fun though, you have to watch every single step you make.

And so, I managed to go insane enough to collect 4 beard hairs from beardlings, but I got so distracted doing it that I was totally unprepared when Bearger came, and he wrecked my base, plus while he was doing that and I was standing at the side going 'Noooooo!', the hound wave came, they attacked him and set everything on fire.  I managed to get him to go to my beefalo herd, while I went back and sifted through the wreckage.

And the beard hair was in a chest and got burned so I didn't even end up with it. :confusion:  I don't think I'm meant to have a meat effigy.

And then, while I was sifting the wreckage it turned to Winter because I lost track of time again. 

So I think I'm going to take my best stuff and move onto a new world, this one doesn't like me.

From the few times I played a non-Wilson character, I remember doing it like this: set up a bunch of rabbit traps, wait until they're full, and then drive myself insane.  Any caught rabbits, in traps and in storage, will convert to beardlings once you pass the sanity threshold.  This makes it easier to process a bunch quickly.  Once you've gone through them, use something to restore your sanity (like cooked green mushrooms).  Be careful, though, as I think beardlings still count as innocent creatures and killing too many can summon Krampus.

The beardlings count for one point towards naughtiness.

The way I've always done it is to capture a bunch of rabbits, eat some green mushrooms to go insane, slaughter beardlings, then eat the green shrooms to restore sanity quickly. Once it's above 100 I put on my Tam O'Shanter.

It's a little harder in RoG because of the rabbits starving waiting to be killed, but if you pick a bunch of flowers beforehand, you can feed them until you're ready to begin the farming.

I like having a meat effigy but won't use one until I have one resurrection stone left and only if it's far away from my base. The loss of health isn't a big deal as long as your somewhat careful to begin with and keep an eye on your health during fights. I have a habit of farming spiders with no armor until it's almost too late. So the effigy comes in handy at times.

As for caves.... I like to explore a little at a time. Nothing wrong with coming up for air before you absolutely need to. But, once you're down there, sometimes it's easy to think, "just a little more" than you run right into a HUGE spider field with 10 nests and get all excited cause they're fighting tentacles so I'll just wait here and clear up the loot when it's done. <<<<RUN>>>>  Nothing good will come of this! The loot will be there when you come back down!!!

True story!!

I don't use any form of revives, I consider them a game mechanic used to prevent bad players from qq'ing before they can experience more of the game. It's up to you though, however, if you don't mind using an effigy, go right ahead. It'll save your life more times than it'll end it.

From the few times I played a non-Wilson character, I remember doing it like this: set up a bunch of rabbit traps, wait until they're full, and then drive myself insane.  Any caught rabbits, in traps and in storage, will convert to beardlings once you pass the sanity threshold.  This makes it easier to process a bunch quickly.  Once you've gone through them, use something to restore your sanity (like cooked green mushrooms).  Be careful, though, as I think beardlings still count as innocent creatures and killing too many can summon Krampus.

That's a good idea - I went insane and then caught rabbits which took way longer, and my game lags when I'm insane, which makes it all much harder to play.

The beardlings count for one point towards naughtiness.

The way I've always done it is to capture a bunch of rabbits, eat some green mushrooms to go insane, slaughter beardlings, then eat the green shrooms to restore sanity quickly. Once it's above 100 I put on my Tam O'Shanter.

It's a little harder in RoG because of the rabbits starving waiting to be killed, but if you pick a bunch of flowers beforehand, you can feed them until you're ready to begin the farming.

I like having a meat effigy but won't use one until I have one resurrection stone left and only if it's far away from my base. The loss of health isn't a big deal as long as your somewhat careful to begin with and keep an eye on your health during fights. I have a habit of farming spiders with no armor until it's almost too late. So the effigy comes in handy at times.

As for caves.... I like to explore a little at a time. Nothing wrong with coming up for air before you absolutely need to. But, once you're down there, sometimes it's easy to think, "just a little more" than you run right into a HUGE spider field with 10 nests and get all excited cause they're fighting tentacles so I'll just wait here and clear up the loot when it's done. <<<<RUN>>>>  Nothing good will come of this! The loot will be there when you come back down!!!

True story!!

I didn't know you could feed them flowers - good tip, thanks.  I managed my first cave trip without dying, as I always do exactly what you described and only just learned my lesson.  Having no touchstone left is a good incentive to be careful too.

I don't use any form of revives, I consider them a game mechanic used to prevent bad players from qq'ing before they can experience more of the game. It's up to you though, however, if you don't mind using an effigy, go right ahead. It'll save your life more times than it'll end it.

Do you not even activate touchstones?  And how many days have you survived this way?  That'd be an interesting challenge.

That's a good idea - I went insane and then caught rabbits which took way longer, and my game lags when I'm insane, which makes it all much harder to play.

I didn't know you could feed them flowers - good tip, thanks.  I managed my first cave trip without dying, as I always do exactly what you described and only just learned my lesson.  Having no touchstone left is a good incentive to be careful too.

Do you not even activate touchstones?  And how many days have you survived this way?  That'd be an interesting challenge.

Nope, I don't. I streamed 1,000 days in Reign of Giants with Wes, no deaths, no sleeping, no mods, no cheats, you name it.

twitch.tv/flare2v

Nope. I streamed 1,000 days in Reign of Giants with Wes, no deaths, sleeping, mods, cheats, you name it.

twitch.tv/flare2v

I haven't unlocked Wes yet - when I completed Adventure mode it was in the 2nd save slot so I didn't find him (I heard since that you have to use 1st save slot), and I haven't got too far with Adventure since RoG, as I'm finding survival more interesting than before.

I shall make that a challenge after I manage my 1000 day game WITH use of touchstones and maybe meat effigies.  Although you saying you don't use them has made me think maybe I'll keep trying, and just be a lot more careful not to waste touchstones by doing stupid things.

I haven't unlocked Wes yet - when I completed Adventure mode it was in the 2nd save slot so I didn't find him (I heard since that you have to use 1st save slot), and I haven't got too far with Adventure since RoG, as I'm finding survival more interesting than before.

I shall make that a challenge after I manage my 1000 day game WITH use of touchstones and maybe meat effigies.  Although you saying you don't use them has made me think maybe I'll keep trying, and just be a lot more careful not to waste my existing touchstones by doing stupid things.

Everything in the first paragraph is speculation by people who can't into the game.

Everything in the second paragraph, sounds fantastic to me!

I wish you luck, however, instead of trying the same thing over again, give Light's Out a go. It's a fantasticly difficult experience that I wish more people gave a chance, kind of buggy in Reign of Giants though.

Everything in the first paragraph is speculation by people who can't into the game.

Everything in the second paragraph, sounds fantastic to me!

I wish you luck, however, instead of trying the same thing over again, give Light's Out a go. It's a fantasticly difficult experience that I wish more people gave a chance, kind of buggy in Reign of Giants though.

Must be some reason why Wes isn't always there to be found though, I can't see the point of it being random.

Thanks for the luck. ^^

Must be some reason why Wes isn't always there to be found though, I can't see the point of it being random.

Thanks for the luck. ^^

You will find Wes in the third chapter of adventure mode if it isn't "Two Worlds". Now go get 'em!

I ALWAYS build a meat effigy.

The truth is that I die a lot, especially in Ruins.

The minor loss of health doesn't bother me that much.

With a huge amount of effort, concentration and preparation, I could probably survive without one. But I'm not that hardcore, I want to relax when playing single-player games.

I have NEVER built one...

And what's the longest you've survived, without mods and on default?  (Just so I have an idea).  And is that a deliberate decision to not use them, or you just didn't get round to it or didn't need to?

I ALWAYS build a meat effigy.

The truth is that I die a lot, especially in Ruins.

The minor loss of health doesn't bother me that much.

With a huge amount of effort, concentration and preparation, I could probably survive without one. But I'm not that hardcore, I want to relax when playing single-player games.

I haven't .....quite....made it to the ruins yet.  I die before I get there. :(

Archived