Will you be able to play across platforms?

I know that the goal is to get multiplayer on Steam first and foremost. I have the Steam copy, and my girlfriend is thinking about getting Don't Starve, but she would prefer to get the Good Old Games version of the game. Will we still be able to play with each other?

Will computer users be able to play with PS4 users?

I have never played or heard of a game which allowed you to play with someone, together on a different console even though it's the same game.

If that were the case games like call of duty would have ultimate PC vs PS3 vs Xbox 360 wars. The world would be over.

I have never played or heard of a game which allowed you to play with someone, together on a different console even though it's the same game.

If that were the case games like call of duty would have ultimate PC vs PS3 vs Xbox 360 wars. The world would be over.

• Shadowrun
  • Universe at War: Earth Assasult
  • Lost Planet: Colonies Edition
  • BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
  • Game Room

All of these games tried multi-platform multiplayer. And it sure is possible to play it on PS4 and on PC on one server. However, these games failed horribly.

The reason they failed was the keyboard/mouse advantage for PC players.

HOWEVER, I can't clearly see the big keyboard/mouse advantage in this game, especially if someone chooses to play co-op. So I think that this could be done if the Devs wanted it done.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that all these games were on xbox, not on playstation. I'd edit my post, but have no idea how to.

Once you have a few more posts, you'll be rewarded with that edit ability. This is done to combat spamming. 

Oh, and if co-op, I see no reason multi-platform couldn't work. See other posts why the computer people may have advantages in PvP

Portal 2 actually did. PS3 and PC users could play together, though Xbox 360 users were left alone. 

I'm glad to have found this posting. I've been wondering about this for a while.

I own Don't Starve on PS4, Vita, and from GOG. I'd buy again in a heartbeat if it showed up on Android too, Don't Starve on my Shield... A Tale of Survival is the closest I've found and that just doesn't cut it by comparison.

As one of those people who thinks Steam is the devil and slowly eroding all that made PC gaming superior to consoles I haven't been willing to buy Don't Starve from Steam, no matter how much I like it or the depth of the sale, and it's good to hear that there's at least the intent to bring multiplayer to us GOG shoppers.

I definitely want to play with friends, but I don't want to support the Evil Empire of the Dread Lord Gaben to do it.

@Xeraith, consoles are slower than most PC's so having cross platform play on a game would be difficult to implement and even then on most games PC users would have an advantage due to playing on a stronger machine. It would just end in a lot of console players complaining and it would be quite messy to get it to work in the first place.

Archived