Wait, how is Webber going to fare here?

Just occurred to me that the game from the monster perspective isn't exactly coherent to the normal experience.

Will his befriended spiders attack allies?

Will their befriended pigs and rabbits attack Webber?

Maybe what should happen is several more 'monster characters' should be introduced that play from that POV that can't be grouped with the 'light side' characters that interact normally.

You could even have maps with opposing factions set up as PvP. Who knows?

You could even have maps with opposing factions set up as PvP. Who knows?

Your idea was almost sounding nice until that last line. I'm more than confident than PvP doesn't fall into what Klei wants out of multiplayer. Also, merely retooling Webber's spider allies powers would suffice. Perhaps follower spiders don't attack players, period.

I honestly have no idea what their grand design is, but I can surely see there being day 1 complaints about people's pets not 'behaving' in a coop manner. 

Also, a topic I'm sure has been brought up numerous times at this point so I do apologize there...

I mean, isn't the tragic point of Webber's character that he wants to make friends and play, but everyone is terrified of him? It fits with his character to be tough in Multiplayer... he wants to help, but he's a freaky-spider-zombie-mutant-thing.

Some characters just aren't going to be multiplayer friendly, and I think that should be okay. Players who cling to WX's OP stats will become a problem, for instance, because they'll cause fights over how to allocate precious gears.

I think it would make sense if spiders that are friendly to webber won't attack your friends. But I think pigmen (ect) should always attack Webber, as thats pretty much what makes Webber unique.

Why does this make sense? They're spiders. They've always been attacking pretty much everything except for Webber. I'm sure the reason it "makes sense" is because you want it to be this way.

And that's where I find myself with this struggle, unfortunately. No matter how much sense it makes, people are going to be clamoring for Webber's spiders not to attack people en masse just because he's a popular character and they want him to be easy.

He's a little boy who just wants to play and make friends, but can't because everything is afraid of him. This means that he's going to run into problems when interacting with others. I'm not saying other characters should want to attack him, I'm just saying that if he wants spider friends, he's gonna have to build them up in a secluded corner of the world away from the group's main base.

You say it yourself in your signature: "So many people are having TERRIBLE ideas about adding things to Don't Starve Together. Please don't change the base game Klei! Just add multiplayer support!" Don't change the concepts behind Webber and how he operates just because it would make things easier for you.

This concept stands for everyone else thinking about replying; if your response is "While I see what you're saying, I disagree because that would suck and I want Webber to be easy :(" then don't bother responding.

I actually quite like the idea that he has to be a bit of an outcast. You can share a base but Webber can only go in when everyone else is out, stuff like that. Could be interesting.

I'm sure the reason it "makes sense" is because you want it to be this way.

Pretty much. But then again your argument actually made me change my mind. Spiders should definitely attack another player no matter what. Thats what spiders do. And pigs should always attack Webber. Because thats what makes Webber who he is. And I definitely don't want Webber to be easier. Hes easy enough as is.

Just occurred to me that the game from the monster perspective isn't exactly coherent to the normal experience.

Will his befriended spiders attack allies?-No.

Will their befriended pigs and rabbits attack Webber?-No, it'd probably follow the "Chester pet v. Spider" guideline where befriended spiders don't attack Chester.

Maybe what should happen is several more 'monster characters' should be introduced that play from that POV that can't be grouped with the 'light side' characters that interact normally.-No, Klei even still hasn't confirmed this.

You could even have maps with opposing factions set up as PvP. Who knows?\

have maps with opposing factions set up as PvP.

set up as PvP.

Ok, Klei I know Klei said that the current version of Don't Starve Together has PvP. But can people stop bringing up PvP in general, please?

giphy.gif

Edit: Also, Don't Starve Together is Co-Op and as I like Webber being an outcast I find it dumb to bring this up since people would know it's a kid trapped in a spider (because there's no such thing as a bipedal spider and no such thing as a spider with the form of a humanoid body.

Ok, Klei I know Klei said that the current version of Don't Starve Together has PvP. But can people stop bringing up PvP in general, please?

giphy.gif

Edit: Also, Don't Starve Together is Co-Op and as I like Webber being an outcast I find it dumb to bring this up since people would know it's a kid trapped in a spider (because there's no such thing as a bipedal spider and no such thing as a spider with the form of a humanoid body.

There will clearly be both. So we should clearly be discussing both. If you don't want to talk about PvP, don't. Your passive-aggressive GIF isn't stopping me from doing it.

We have discussed this topic in the balance thread. Have a read of some of what has been said but it is very long.

The other problem with Webber and his spiders is that the spider followers can attack player made walls. Is this a bug or intentional? Someone raised this in the Steam forum. If it is intentional surely in Don't Starve Together this must be changed as it would be very difficult to play co-op with Webber.

We have already raised the issue of follower spiders attacking other players (non Webber characters) and follower pigs attacking Webber and his spiders, if you wish to discuss and share your opinion on either topic please do so here if you want.

Wait, I'm confused. As the devs put it, our current purpose in regard to Don't Starve Together is to discuss/suggest/debate how things should be adjusted for multiplayer, right? And that's what we're doing here.

What you want us to do is post about this in a (your) thread dedicated to discussing how to rebalance the game within a subforum dedicated to discussing how to rebalance the game? Why should we do that? It looks like a cluster of people discussing many different topics within that thread; wouldn't it be better to have each issue have a separate thread? I think that's a bit of a bizarre and counterproductive thing to be policing.

We have discussed this topic in the balance thread. Have a read of some of what has been said but it is very long.

The other problem with Webber and his spiders is that the spider followers can attack player made walls. Is this a bug or intentional? Someone raised this in the Steam forum. If it is intentional surely in Don't Starve Together this must be changed as it would be very difficult to play co-op with Webber.

We have already raised the issue of follower spiders attacking other players (non Webber characters) and follower pigs attacking Webber and his spiders, if you wish to discuss and share your opinion on either topic please do so here if you want.

This entire sub forum is dedicated to rebalance and suggestions and we should cram it all into your thread?

This entire sub forum is dedicated to rebalance and suggestions and we should cram it all into your thread?

And @ConeyKrab No that's not what I meant, we have discussed quite a bit of the things already discussed, it would be awesome if someone new could add to what has already been said. Maybe they find something wrong and quote it, if you don't want to then no problem. I'm only saying there are things that we have discussed that aren't exactly perfect so if anyone wants to add to that please do.

Apologies if I came across as forcing or discrediting this thread. Not my intention at all.

Edit: my intent was actually to help out. Surely if someone knew what has been asked already they won't need to ask it again. Rather they could help improve on what was said. That way we are better positioned to help Klei.

Edit: surely if I was being unfair I would be evil and lock every thread laughing manically. But come now I'm a J20 drinking Hawkz I'm always cheerful and kind :)

I also asked the question about Webber's spiders attacking player made walls. What do you think of that? You can't have spiders near base then? Is this true? Haven't tested it myself but the question has been asked on the steam forum if this is intentional or a bug. Personally I doubt it's a bug, but wouldn't it be a pain if someone was Webber and they had spider followers, come to base and have those spider followers automatically start attacking your walls?

I only really brought it up to prod Klei into letting us know better what their plans are (along with not-so-subtle prodding towards new content alongside new game modes). Apologies for not having used the search function to find related threads.

Archived