Hey hey hey guys. I'm having a super difficult time in Reign of giants.

Before the dlc, my longest run was about 174 days-ish. Now I can barely break day 15.

I have been starting in spring every play-through because it sounded easier than winter, summer, fall, etc. So I need some tips. What season is the easiest to begin on? What should my first scientific priorities be? Where should I set up my camp? 

Thanks a million!

-Kevin.

Start in Autumn/fall. It's the easiest.

Try to set up your camp near beefalo if possible and (hopefully) rabbit holes and maybe some trees. If playing as Webber, spider dens work too since you can eat monster meat without problems.

I like to make a shovel early in to dig up resources and place them near base. (If you want to dig up grass or berry bushes, be sure there are beefalo nearby like maybe a fair walk distance or you might as well leave the grass where it is.) I can't tell you much else because its been quite a while since i've last played. (Other games, real life, stuff.) This also means my way may be flawed.

Well I think many of us would say Autumn. As for me I play what i get.  I don't really have priorites in autumn I do what i want mostly it's like weekends when i was still in school.

Now on the other hand if you start on spring, than what i always do is after i set up my base,

1)i go out and find some gears to make an ice box so i can store my  ice cube there(and/or thermal stone).

2)And that's the next priority for me making an Ice Cube.
3)After that endothermic fire pit. 
4)Lastly on the first day of summer, I go out to the desert harvest some cacti and make a floral shirt with the flowers than I'm good to go.
Than at the end it's never the weather that gets me I always die from my own dumbness like startin a fight when i shouln't have or putting out my own campfire with an ice fling-o-matic than die before i can relight it and so own

Set up in autumn. It gives you just enough time to prepare for winter, and PLENTY OF TIME FOR SUMMER. Summer is the biggest concern you should have. If possible, try to put your base between beefalos, rabbits, pigs and other resources you need. If not possible, try and find a swamp to live near, as the tentacles will frequently kill the mermen, so you get free fish and frogs legs.

Get the science machine up asap, craft a thermal stone and beefalo hat, and you should be good for the winter. Have some log armour and a spear, too. I tend not to use the backpack, just so I can have some protection for my character. Having fires scattered about is top priority too, just in case you need to run away. Beefalo are not only important for food and warmth, but they can easily take care of the hounds as well. Before winter, try and set up several farms as well and let the food grow to their max. the food takes forever to wilt away, so think of it as an emergency food source in winter if you are desperate.

Basically everyone said most important things already, but...

Best starting season is Autumn as others said. You know how to fight freezing, so Winter shouldn't be a problem. And in Winter you can get ice to fight the Heat (Ice Cube, Ice Flingomatics). When you start in Spring - you barely have any Ice left already. In winter search the Marshes for Merms fighting Tentacles and collect some Tentacle Spots for a rain coat. That should nullify Wetness problem for all Springs. Be sure to mine boulders for Nitre - it is main ingredient for Endothermic Fires that cool you down. Ideally you need to have Endothermic Firepit before Summer to save on Nitre.

Things vital for surviving Summer, as others mentioned:

- Nitre

- Endothermic Firepit

- Thermal Stone x2 (one in the Ice Box, frozen one in the inventory, change when current one heats up)

- Ice Box (Can freeze Thermal Stone)

- Ice Cube (Straw Hat offers some protection too, but does not cool you down) - Eyebrella is good too if you can get your hands on it.

- Summer Frest\Floral Shirt (slows down overheating medium\good respectively)

- Umbrella\Pretty Parasol (Slows overheating slightly)

Be sure to watch out for smoldering objects if you don't have Ice Flingomatics. Thats all... Probably.

Think of Autumn as the vanilla Summer. Gear up towards winter as you would in vanilla, then start getting ready for Spring (rain gear). If you like bee boxes, put them away from your base, bees turn angry in Spring. Once you have rain gear, start thinking of Summer and collect ice, gears and nitre. Base layout is VERY important unless you decide on a Summer base. Ice Flinger will put out your fires so keep that in mind when you design and start dropping structures.

Spring.Maybe autumn is diffcult but you can survive ner an endothermic fire,not the small one,Its like the fire pit but with blue flames.You should build your camp near buffaloes or in the forest or where you can find flowers/berry bush etc. So here a tip to stayalive : capture butteflies with a bugnet,don't eat them.Plant them and you will have a beautiful butterflies farm. so you have a lot of buterfly wings to survive . farm enough wood. Try to make those items : Straw Hat,Summer frest and umbrella.So youwill have a niceprotection for a short time to go farm what you need then come back into your camp.Try to build a tent too and here you go.

Basically everyone said most important things already, but...

Best starting season is Autumn as others said. You know how to fight freezing, so Winter shouldn't be a problem. And in Winter you can get ice to fight the Heat (Ice Cube, Ice Flingomatics). When you start in Spring - you barely have any Ice left already. In winter search the Marshes for Merms fighting Tentacles and collect some Tentacle Spots for a rain coat. That should nullify Wetness problem for all Springs. Be sure to mine boulders for Nitre - it is main ingredient for Endothermic Fires that cool you down. Ideally you need to have Endothermic Firepit before Summer to save on Nitre.

Things vital for surviving Summer, as others mentioned:
- Nitre
- Endothermic Firepit
- Thermal Stone x2 (one in the Ice Box, frozen one in the inventory, change when current one heats up)
- Ice Box (Can freeze Thermal Stone)
- Ice Cube (Straw Hat offers some protection too, but does not cool you down) - Eyebrella is good too if you can get your hands on it.
- Summer Frest\Floral Shirt (slows down overheating medium\good respectively)
- Umbrella\Pretty Parasol (Slows overheating slightly)

Be sure to watch out for smoldering objects if you don't have Ice Flingomatics. Thats all... Probably.

Starting in Spring is bad. Summer will destroy you. What everyone else before me has said, basically.

Set up in autumn. It gives you just enough time to prepare for winter, and PLENTY OF TIME FOR SUMMER. Summer is the biggest concern you should have. If possible, try to put your base between beefalos, rabbits, pigs and other resources you need. If not possible, try and find a swamp to live near, as the tentacles will frequently kill the mermen, so you get free fish and frogs legs.

Get the science machine up asap, craft a thermal stone and beefalo hat, and you should be good for the winter. Have some log armour and a spear, too. I tend not to use the backpack, just so I can have some protection for my character. Having fires scattered about is top priority too, just in case you need to run away. Beefalo are not only important for food and warmth, but they can easily take care of the hounds as well. Before winter, try and set up several farms as well and let the food grow to their max. the food takes forever to wilt away, so think of it as an emergency food source in winter if you are desperate.

Well I think many of us would say Autumn. As for me I play what i get.  I don't really have priorites in autumn I do what i want mostly it's like weekends when i was still in school.

Now on the other hand if you start on spring, than what i always do is after i set up my base,

1)i go out and find some gears to make an ice box so i can store my  ice cube there(and/or thermal stone).

2)And that's the next priority for me making an Ice Cube.

3)After that endothermic fire pit. 

4)Lastly on the first day of summer, I go out to the desert harvest some cacti and make a floral shirt with the flowers than I'm good to go.

Than at the end it's never the weather that gets me I always die from my own dumbness like startin a fight when i shouln't have or putting out my own campfire with an ice fling-o-matic than die before i can relight it and so own

Try to set up your camp near beefalo if possible and (hopefully) rabbit holes and maybe some trees. If playing as Webber, spider dens work too since you can eat monster meat without problems.

I like to make a shovel early in to dig up resources and place them near base. (If you want to dig up grass or berry bushes, be sure there are beefalo nearby like maybe a fair walk distance or you might as well leave the grass where it is.) I can't tell you much else because its been quite a while since i've last played. (Other games, real life, stuff.) This also means my way may be flawed.

Think of Autumn as the vanilla Summer. Gear up towards winter as you would in vanilla, then start getting ready for Spring (rain gear). If you like bee boxes, put them away from your base, bees turn angry in Spring. Once you have rain gear, start thinking of Summer and collect ice, gears and nitre. Base layout is VERY important unless you decide on a Summer base. Ice Flinger will put out your fires so keep that in mind when you design and start dropping structures.

Spring.Maybe autumn is diffcult but you can survive ner an endothermic fire,not the small one,Its like the fire pit but with blue flames.You should build your camp near buffaloes or in the forest or where you can find flowers/berry bush etc. So here a tip to stayalive : capture butteflies with a bugnet,don't eat them.Plant them and you will have a beautiful butterflies farm. so you have a lot of buterfly wings to survive . farm enough wood. Try to make those items : Straw Hat,Summer frest and umbrella.So youwill have a niceprotection for a short time to go farm what you need then come back into your camp.Try to build a tent too and here you go.

Wow it seems like the general agreement is to begin in Fall and work from there =)

Thanks a bunch everyone, I'll definitely put this advice to use! 

Wow it seems like the general agreement is to begin in Fall and work from there =)

Thanks a bunch everyone, I'll definitely put this advice to use! 

Good luck, mate. First spring starts was damn harsh in RoG, but you'll get the hang of it, I am sure.

Liar. You got bored, didn't you?

Take this person's advice. Pretty sure they're the local DS pro.

Also: start in Summer. I swearz it's ezpz if u hz hats. Collect hats -> ??? -> Unlock Charlie.

Liar. You got bored, didn't you?

Take this person's advice. Pretty sure they're the local DS pro.

Also: start in Summer. I swearz it's ezpz if u hz hats. Collect hats -> ??? -> Unlock Charlie.

Okay, you caught me. About 20% of the reason was i got bored. Not from reaching a really high day like day 100 or something, just randomly felt like it was getting slightly boring.

I plan to start playing it again later today though.

Archived