Endothermic Fires (not the Fire Pits)

I think it would be great if you could make those fires from Grass and Ice instead of Nitre, maby you need to craft Ice Cubes into Ice Blocks (consumes 4 ice cubes to make 1 Ice Block). It would be great (imo) because I use and make gunpowder alot and I don't really like to waste so much Nitre every summer.

But hey, it's just an idea :)

I think it's good because to most people nitre had been garbage before. And to people who consider nitre valuable... there's plenty of other ways to cool down! Putting on the Ice Cube hat will cool you down, as will eating ice, and between those you should have time to get back to your base and Endo-Pit. If there's somewhere far from your base you're going to visit a  lot during summer you can just build a second pit.

I've only ever used an not-pit endothermic fire once or twice, TBH.

It can be useful to carry some nitre in the summer to plop down a quick endo fire, but an ice cube tends to be a much simpler solution to exploration in the heat. 

Personally I tend to horde mine for 2 reasons: I get enough rocks and flint mining for stone so I don't like doing too much extra mining so that leads me to only having the prerequisite 15 nitre at any given time to produce a giant-killing pile of gunpowder.

So I'll just wear the ice cube and not force myself to mine for a partially limited resource more than I absolutely have to. Plus since there's no summertime equivalent of a MacTusk there's less reason to actually go on long voyages in the summer.

What I'd like to see is only 1 type of rock that had a chance to drop any of the mining results so I don't intentionally 'spot mine'.

Nitre is very easy to get. Also you're overlooking the fact you can make fire pits. Instead of wasting your nitre on the normal fires just build one pit and camp by it during Summer if you really need to. There are other ways to get cool, just wear a shady hat and stand under a tree for a little while and you'll be fine. The only use for nitre is gunpowder, and to people who don't make gunpowder that makes it totally useless. Having it make endothermic fires is a great addition since it gives nitre something else to use it on.

You also have to factor in how the ingredients work together. When you craft a campfire, you're using easily flammable grass and applying its flame to logs. When you craft an endothermic fire, you're doing the same with nitre instead of logs. So applying easily flammable grass to ice will get you.. a clump of wet, black grass.

Archived