I'm thinking of playing Don't Starve

Hi everyone,

For the past few months I've been seeing quite a bit of Don't Starve and have been thinking about trying the game. Is the game really tough to get into? I'm quite a casual gamer and like my games to be relaxed and enjoyable.

I've been reading the Wiki and noticed the game offers a crafting system. That sounds like good fun. Does it play a big part in the game?

Thanks

the crafting is a huge part of the game, you can not hope to survive for long if you dont setup the verious things you need to build better/stronger items, not only in terms of the combat but also in the production of food

And for the odd 20euro or so, its money well invested, you are more then likely to sink a good 50-100 hours into it over the time you play

Thanks for the swift reply! Yeah, I really enjoy gathering and crafting in games and it was that which made me look at this game.

Also, I've updated my avatar on here using Gravatar, but it hasn't update. Does it take a while to update/show?

It is a honestly fun game. If you have seen people play it things can pop up out of know where and scare the heck out of you. But otherwise the feel of living in the wild alone is really nice.

The game does look fun and one that doesn't cost the earth to purchase.

To anyone thinking of buyimg Don't Starve I'd for sure would say: Buy it.

So here you are: Buy it.

It's a cool wilderness, survival game, and the mechanics of the game is fantastic, and the art is aswell. It's especially fun in the beginning, trying to master the world you're putted into. Maybe not check everything on the wiki, because I'd say it's more fun to explore the game by yourself. So, with no regrets, buy it. Because it's aweomse. And, it never gets old. If you buy it and like it, maybe consider buying the DLC, cause that's awesome too! :D

Yeah, I really enjoy gathering and crafting in games and it was that which made me look at this game.

As a casual gamer who enjoys the same things, I can say I've had a lot of fun with Don't Starve.  Much of the gameplay is focused on discovery, exploration, and crafting.  There is definitely a survival element, as you need to prepare for things like winter and enemy attacks, as well as just keeping your character alive day to day.  But the world generation offers a lot of customization.  If you find the default settings a bit too hectic, you can always tweak it to better fit your play style.  (Or you can go crazy in the other direction and make it insanely hard, or make a mish-mash of the amounts for something unpredictable or a specific challenge :grin:  )

I do suggest trying the default settings for at least the first few playthroughs, as there is something of a learning curve at the beginning.  Also, try to accept from the start that your character is going to die.  A lot.  And often in embarrassing, petty, or strange ways.  Half the fun, for me, was stumbling into all the ways your character can die :highly_amused:

When I first played, I didn't expect to last more then one day!

my goal the first time around was to survive the night!

Took me half a day to figure out i neede flint to do anything at all ...

Thanks all!

Today I took the plundge and purchased the game + dlc. My first character lived for 8 days. Seems a really enjoyable game. I loved running around chopping all those trees down!

Eight days... with RoG?  You gooood :grin:

I think I lasted two or three days my first go around.  Don't remember now what killed me.  Probably something inane like getting stung to death!

I hope you have many, many fun hours playing!

All I did was make a campfire before nightfall and not explore too much and play it safe. Before I knew it, I'd reached eight days before being attacked by a monster!

Play it safe? Psht. Does that involve not poking everything with a stick to see what happens? ;)

Also, not that it matters now that you bought it, but the price will go up after the summer because of Multiplayer, so get it beforehand.

"Multiplayer" wait what? I thought the developers said strictly no multiplayer....?

Thanks all!

Today I took the plundge and purchased the game + dlc. My first character lived for 8 days. Seems a really enjoyable game. I loved running around chopping all those trees down!

an excellent decision, i dont think you'll regret it.

Archived