Best weapon?

I seem to kill everything a lot easier when using hambats but it doesn't last long as uses a lot of meat in the long run. Is there anything else I can use from day one thats better than a spear or is getting a hambat then killing tentacles for a tentacle spike my best option?

Well ham bat was the best way to go before RoG.  With the nerf and them decaying now i would saying grabbing a couple of spikes from merms killing tentacles is the way to go.  I usually like to explore only a little at a time so the meat/fish/frog legs that drops doesn't spoil when you leave and come back days later.  You can also use snow chester to slow the delay while you are not using it, but im too lazy for too much micro managing.

Put spiders in swamps and then come back and harvest the drops. I never fight tentacle spikes directly.

Often, spider nests will already be in a swap - so be sure to not take it all the way down.  

The ham bat is still probably the best general weapon to use. It decays about 3ish damage per day, so at the end of the 3rd day it's about as good as a tentacle spike anyway and it's not until the ham bat's bitter end where it's roughly the damage of a spear.

Don't like how much your ham bat has decayed? Just make a fresher bat. Think of it sort of instead of having 10 days of unlimited uses before having to craft a new one, it's now around 5 give or take considering how much damage you can tolerate not having.

Really, for me anyway, the appeal to the ham bat was that it was a weapon that didn't break on you in the middle of a fight. The high damage it has it just a bonus. I'm kind of glad it got a bit of a nerf because I never seemed to get around to making dark swords anymore. Now I at least have some semblance more of an incentive to carry one around when I think a giant is about to come or something.

You can find loads of tentacle spikes by just wandering around any Marsh, especially the ones in the Caves where you have an eternal Tentacle-vs-Spider war.

My new favorite weapon though is Wigfrid's Battle spear, due to the great durability, decent damage and low materials cost.

Hambat is still good, and still pretty cheap to make. Just feed 4 monster meats to a Pig and kite the Werepig.

resource wise? id say the spear, it enhances damage. not as much as the tentacle spike or even the dark sword, but at the low cost of sticks, 1 flint and a rope who could complain? shure all you gotta do to get a tenta spike is kill one or two tentacles, but on the surface they are limited (or is that changed via updates?) and cave tentacles are even worse! you lose sanity trying to find them and i cant be buggered to do that. dark sword requires you to get the shadow manipulator, and nightmare fuel, which means you have to lower your sanity to get beardlings to KILL, which adds to naughtyness and you have like a 1-3 chance on even getting nightmare fuel, plus it drains your sanity when in use GREATLY. dont even get me started on the ham shank

spear? no sanity drain, about 100 hits till it breaks, more damage than the axe, and cheap as dirt. so what if you have to make a few more hits to take down someone? if you know the arts of kiting, this weapon should be your best friends in any situation

Feel free to hate, but I actually like the thuelecite club.  If you know where and how to use it, you can really kick ass.

Not at all, the club is awesome. I'd probably craft them more often if I didn't feel so guilty about using a non-renewable resource for each one.

Ham Bat

The only thing you need to have in order to get this weapon is four monster meat, hungry pig and a stick.

If you play DS like me, id think the meat would have more use, healing/feeding the player than it would to get the meat itself via killing the monsters/pigs to get em. not to mention the ham bat spoils even when not in use (or did they change that?)

The best weapon in the game is the local wildlife. Pigmen killing spiders, MacTusk killing Beefalo (or vice versa if there's too many) if you can position the Beefalo between the walrus and you whilst keeping outside of aggro range. Those are just two examples of using the local wildlife to kill the local wildlife!

Archived