Does ice cube no longer prevent heat death?

I'm in my 1st summer since "Where there's a Wilson..." came out. While wearing an ice cube and being wet, my temperature went up through 65 deg and over 70 (I have the HUD mod). It went up to 74 or so, then I hid in the shade and it still stayed above 70. Even in dusk with an ice cube on, it stayed over 70. Is this how it's supposed to work now?

Ice does cool the player if eaten. And it's not instant. Temperature effects are easier to see with the HUD. I'm going to start using the improved one that includes air temperature.

Something big was changed regarding surviving heat, and it wasn't mentioned in the update notes. That's a bad mark for Klei, I'm afraid. 

To deal with the new circumstances as a player: to actually venture out from base and get something done in the summer now requires the frest, and, I think, big consumption of ice and/or nitre for endothermic fires. Nitre is finite and supply is short, especially if you want to make gunpowder. How much renewable ice can you reliably mine in a winter? 200-some? If you reach 70 deg, you can easily eat 40 in a day to stay alive. 

I guess I'll have to try the frest in the new (unannounced) conditions. But maybe they should have origninal ROG summer (with ice cube water makes you insane) as the default and "Heat Wave" as a world-gen option that gives you current summer.

I've been using a combination of thermal stone and summer frest which seems to work fairly well. The ice cube does work for me though. It holds my heat at around 67 degrees (high enough for overheating graphic, but no health loss) and also cools me to there when overheating past 70. I use it as an emergency cool down when the stone gets too hot. I think they changed it as it was the only active cooling item and was very OP before. I never used anything else through summer, whereas now I barely use the ice cube, so I think it is in a good place.

Ice still does cool you down as does cold foods, but the effect is much slower than what it was before (instant).

@madsci64 - Which character were you playing as? Did you have any other insulating items on, as I've found this has a more noticeable effect now.

Ice does cool the player if eaten. And it's not instant. Temperature effects are easier to see with the HUD. I'm going to start using the improved one that includes air temperature.

Something big was changed regarding surviving heat, and it wasn't mentioned in the update notes. That's a bad mark for Klei, I'm afraid. 

To deal with the new circumstances as a player: to actually venture out from base and get something done in the summer now requires the frest, and, I think, big consumption of ice and/or nitre for endothermic fires. Nitre is finite and supply is short, especially if you want to make gunpowder. How much renewable ice can you reliably mine in a winter? 200-some? If you reach 70 deg, you can easily eat 40 in a day to stay alive. 

I guess I'll have to try the frest in the new (unannounced) conditions. But maybe they should have origninal ROG summer (with ice cube water makes you insane) as the default and "Heat Wave" as a world-gen option that gives you current summer.

They don't tell us everything they do in updates. Otherwise it would be no fun. Personally, after this last update, summer has been a lot easier for me

I've been using a combination of thermal stone and summer frest which seems to work fairly well. The ice cube does work for me though. It holds my heat at around 67 degrees (high enough for overheating graphic, but no health loss) and also cools me to there when overheating past 70. I use it as an emergency cool down when the stone gets too hot. I think they changed it as it was the only active cooling item and was very OP before. I never used anything else through summer, whereas now I barely use the ice cube, so I think it is in a good place.

Ice still does cool you down as does cold foods, but the effect is much slower than what it was before (instant).

@madsci64 - Which character were you playing as? Did you have any other insulating items on, as I've found this has a more noticeable effect now.

This was as Wendy. I was wearing just the ice cube and a backpack. I haven't made a frest for her yet.

Yeah, the thermal stone works some. The overheating happened after sleeping away from camp, so it was "room temperature". 

Nerfing he ice cube a little was good; it was all you needed for summer.

Nerfing he ice cube a little was good; it was all you needed for summer.

I feel like they nerfed it more than they should though.  The thermal stone is definitely the much better strategy now that it doesn't freeze you during summer. 

But the ice cube nerf seems way too severe based on the little time I've tried to use it since the update.  4 rope, 2 doodabs, 10 ice, and it makes you wet and slows you down.  And for what?  It barely keeps you from taking heat damage.   The only scenario I see is if you needed to do a long trip and had no icebox around to cool your thermal stone.   Ice boxes are cheap enough I'd rather build them all over the map. Maybe you get caught in a dragonfly battle without time to manage thermal stones?   Those are about the only scenarios I can see.  It needs to have the same cooling power it did before in order to make it worthwhile again.  Or at least enough to keep that heat aura from appearing. 

It just feels like a totally worthless item now.  The thermal stone is way too easy to make compared to the cube, I just don't see why anyone would choose the cube.

I feel like they nerfed it more than they should though.  The thermal stone is definitely the much better strategy now that it doesn't freeze you during summer. 

But the ice cube nerf seems way too severe based on the little time I've tried to use it since the update.  4 rope, 2 doodabs, 10 ice, and it makes you wet.  And for what?  It barely keeps you from taking heat damage.   The only scenario I see is if you needed to do a long trip and had no icebox around to cool your thermal stone.   Ice boxes are cheap enough I'd rather build them all over the map. Maybe you get caught in a dragonfly battle without time to manage thermal stones?   Those are about the only scenarios I can see.  It needs to have the same cooling power it did before in order to make it worthwhile again.  Or at least enough to keep that heat aura from appearing. 

It just feels like a totally worthless item now.  The thermal stone is way too easy to make compared to the cube, I just don't see why anyone would choose the cube.

I approve,forme I use the ice cube,I will try your idea,thanks again

Archived