Gravedigger Items and No Pig King

So I have some grave digger items but the pig king didn't spawn in the deciduous forest village or in the connecting village (idk if that has anything to do with playing as Webber or not). So are there any other uses to the items besides trading for gold?

Yeah, the land generation sometimes does not spit out a pig king, tall bird nests, or a walrus camp. Though I have yet to see that happen with the latter 2 since the last update, but they seem to spawn less frequently then they did in vanilla don't starve. The pig king does still vanish  from map gen sometimes; even when having a huge map option on.

Well, you do can spawn one with the console (it is a bug after all) -- DebugSpawn("pigking") --

I always do that when world gen refuses to give me a pig king , foolish world gen, not funny, just make sure to do so in a pig village, otherwise it is cheating.

How can there be no Pig King on a map? That is ridiculous, especially playing as Wigfrid, since her unique items require a regular supply of Gold to forge, more than any other player.

That was my downfall last game. Playing as wig and ran completely out of gold. Come summer and I don't have anything to make an epidermic fire pit or anything. Just the de-OPed ice cube with really sucks BTW.

Well, you do can spawn one with the console (it is a bug after all) -- DebugSpawn("pigking") --

I always do that when world gen refuses to give me a pig king , foolish world gen, not funny, just make sure to do so in a pig village, otherwise it is cheating.

I remember some dev saying it's intended, not a bug. It's probably another incentive to use the teleportato when players run out of gold.

I remember some dev saying it's intended, not a bug. It's probably another incentive to use the teleportato when players run out of gold.

Actually he said that the *intent* is for one to *always* spawn.  But due to the way the world gen works, sometimes it decides there 'isn't room' for him in the places it wants to put him.  So debugspawning him in an existing pig village could be interpreted as 'legal' certainly.  Though I'd probably just use it as an opportunity to pack up a bunch of berry bushes and whatever, and head to another world and have a leg up!

It's not so much a bug as an unintended consequence of the coding (Seth's comment to a similar topic of mine: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/32517-guaranteed-pig-king-spawn/?p=456328)

No pig king? In the village dig up 4 grass turfs, place them with boards, spawn two small obelisks and 2 big obelisks that change when your sanity is really low on the sides of the boarded square (not in the corners and Idk really at what amount of sanity the obelisks have to change) and spawn in the middle the pig kings; set piece finished!

Actually he said that the *intent* is for one to *always* spawn.  But due to the way the world gen works, sometimes it decides there 'isn't room' for him in the places it wants to put him.  So debugspawning him in an existing pig village could be interpreted as 'legal' certainly.  Though I'd probably just use it as an opportunity to pack up a bunch of berry bushes and whatever, and head to another world and have a leg up!

If they wanted to one pig king always spawn they would add him to required prefab list like teleportato items, and they didn't do that.

If they wanted to one pig king always spawn they would add him to required prefab list like teleportato items, and they didn't do that.

Did you read the link WillPwn posted above?  SethR directly states right in there that the pig king is INTENDED to ALWAYS spawn.  I don't know why the teleportato always does but not he pig king.   I'd assume it's placed before any other entities, while the pig king probably is placed after grass and houses and stuff, so sometimes the game can't find room for him.   Take it up with Seth if you don't believe.

Out of all 300 hours of playing this game, every single world I've had since the Pig King was introduced, he was in my world somewhere. I've never been without a Pig King. Are you sure you've explored everywhere? Pictures of map please :D

Did you read the link WillPwn posted above?  SethR directly states right in there that the pig king is INTENDED to ALWAYS spawn.  I don't know why the teleportato always does but not he pig king.   I'd assume it's placed before any other entities, while the pig king probably is placed after grass and houses and stuff, so sometimes the game can't find room for him.   Take it up with Seth if you don't believe.

I made worldgen mod: Islands, I looked at the worlden text in log file, and worldgen didn't bother to search new place for pig king if placing him failed, after I added Pig king to the list of requried prefabs worldgen started caring about place for him.

So at the moment you can have map without pig king and its intended, worlden code just proves that.

Out of all 300 hours of playing this game, every single world I've had since the Pig King was introduced, he was in my world somewhere. I've never been without a Pig King. Are you sure you've explored everywhere? Pictures of map please :grin:

How many worlds have you done?  I did a series of 16 worlds awhile back, with the map revealer mod on, and he failed to spawn in 3 or 4 of them iirc.  It does happen.  Or at least it did back around mid-April.

Obviously our intent is for the Pig King to appear in all worlds, but we can't actually guarantee that it happens. Think of it as a nice bit of variation in your worlds that will make change up your tactics :-)

I made worldgen mod: Islands, I looked at the worlden text in log file, and worldgen didn't bother to search new place for pig king if placing him failed, after I added Pig king to the list of requried prefabs worldgen started caring about place for him.   So at the moment you can have map without pig king and its intended, worlden code just proves that.

Seems pretty clear to me what the *intent* is.  If they overlooked something in worldgen, that's another matter.

Seems pretty clear to me what the *intent* is.  If they overlooked something in worldgen, that's another matter.

This is quite old issue, they didn't bother with fixing that cause its quite rare, or they just want it to happen. 

Have this:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/17291-gameplay-no-pig-king-spawned/?hl=%2Bpig+%2Bking

Look at the date of bug report.

Fix for is writing: "pigking" no the list of requred prefabs in level file, not much work if you ask me, and there was many updates from the date of the bug report.

why summon him? if you're going to use the console you might as well c_give("goldnugget",x)

Are you seryous? Like... really?

(I will not stay a big f*ck your playthrough with my arms crossed, and you are still paying for the gold, as long as you "summon him" in a pig village I see no problem, doing so anywhere else, like conveniently close to your base, IS cheating.)

(I will not stay a big f*ck your playthrough with my arms crossed, and you are still paying for the gold, as long as you "summon him" in a pig village I see no problem, doing so anywhere else, like conveniently close to your base, IS cheating.)

Like it would matter in a single player game anyway.

Like... really dude, seriously. Scout's honor. Excuse me if i don't think actually WALKING to another place for like 2 minutes straight and imagining he was there all along actually makes a difference. If he has x graveyard items he can just c_give("goldnugget",x) because it's not like he can use them for anything else anyway and seeing how he has a problem with this in the first place it means he doesn't "do" teleportato. The only way it would make a difference if he forgets he got the gold for them. He can just leave them on the ground somewhere. Either way is "cheating" since the "official" pov as it stands now is that it mixes things up. So you're not playing as intended anyway. Like, seriously, that's my opinion.

Archived