*Heavy breathing*

I was forced to resort to killing the deerclops with a football helmet, log suit, and a spear after forgetting that the old bell is pretty much useless since it just wakes up the giants after you put them to sleep and always misses for me even if I lure them to where the giant foot will stomp.

I basically just hit him once or twice and dodged his ice attacks, though I was unaware there was a guide telling me to do just that for the deerclops. I killed him but I was left with 0 sanity and had to deal with two terrorbeaks afterward. What made it worse is that it happened at night right after I was attacked by hounds, it wasn't fun but I survived.

the old bell is pretty much useless since it just wakes up the giants after you put them to sleep

it was about time to nerf that ridiculous thing. now it pwns noob bases more than giants. hehehehehe.

no

Why not? I think that works.

Seriously, almost all of the forum articles seem to be requests like: "nerf this, nerf that, so that beginners and players who do not want to fight much will have a horrible time playing DS". I just wonder when will somebody suggest that the world generation options allow you to create a very easy world, so they should be removed from the game.

Why not? I think that works.

Seriously, almost all of the forum articles seem to be requests like: "nerf this, nerf that, so that beginners and players who do not want to fight much will have a horrible time playing DS". I just wonder when will somebody suggest that the world generation options allow you to create a very easy world, so they should be removed from the game.

First of all, find me that somebody who said, literally, "so that beginners and players who do not want to fight much will have a horrible time playing DS".

Second, do you actually think people really care about the experience beginners have? I couldn't care less if they find the game hard or easy.

Third, from a dev perspective our opinion is what matters. If WE wouldn't scream nerf nerf all day, down the line, when THEY get better at the game, they'll say, oh, the game is broken, this and that is OP, but they won't have who to tell this to becuase development will be stopped by that time.

If "almost all of the forum articles seem to be requests like: nerf this, nerf that" that should be pointing to the fact that either our pleasure of DS is watching beginners complaining it's to hard or that, maybe, just maybe, thing just have to be nerfed because they're broken.

The game always got harder and harder. And tons of people love it. So they must be doing something right.

it was about time to nerf that ridiculous thing. now it pwns noob bases more than giants. hehehehehe.

I think this pretty much shows your pleasure of watching beginners being destroyed in DS.

Second, do you actually think people really care about the experience beginners have? I couldn't care less if they find the game hard or easy.

I am aware that many people are selfish (this is not meant as an offence, just summarising your statement).

If you want everything to be nerfed and you like it, it is your decision. But I think that the majority of players who complained about the Old Bell are never going to use it anyway, so I think asking for nerf is not in the interest of making game more interesting, but just to punish people who were using Old Bell heavily. I think this is quite malicious.

But I think that the majority of players who complained about the Old Bell are never going to use it anyway, so I think asking for nerf is not in the interest of making game more interesting, but just to punish people who were using Old Bell heavily. I think this is quite malicious.

Oh, so it's fine to not use an item in the game if you think it's broken rather than asking them to fix the damn thing?

Oh, so it's fine to not use an item in the game if you think it's broken rather than asking them to fix the damn thing?

I seriously doubt the majority of players who complained against the old Old Bell are now going to use it when it is "fixed" (broken).

I seriously doubt the majority of players who complained against the old Old Bell are now going to use it when it is "fixed" (broken).

well if you think it's broken make a thread suggesting it get changed then

9wpuv I have found has very little to contribute to almost all of the posts he has participated in.  His input as I have seen is mostly thinly veiled insults or unfounded opinions (arguing about the op'ness of webber even tho never playing him comes to the top of my head).

His stated gameplay style "the teleportato" rush, in my opinion (see I stated this was my opinion), takes so much away from the actual game play and surival aspect of the game it's hard to say if he could have a valid opinion on anything but that.

Now to my point... even a thinly veiled troll is still a troll and should not be fed.

I don't know who these "people" you refer to are, but I guarantee you Klei cares very, very much about the experience of newbs.  They want to get new players into the game. 

I also care about newbs as well, as the more new players the game gets, the more money Klei makes, and the more likely they'll continue with additional DLC.

Who care about you?  They already have your money.

spring is here, any way to not take rain dmg with wx-78? i have the rain hat and the umbrella but they aren't helping

get a rain coat. you need tentacle spots for it so lead some merm into some tentacles if you can't take them down yourself and hope for good rng.

Who care about you?  They already have your money.

yes it's always about the money. they should add multiplayer then. there are loads of people croaking about multiplayer. i bet that would bring more money.

p.s. the "newbs" as you call them, they got their money as well, why should they care anymore by your logic? or are people lurking in the forums before they buy the game, just to make an opinion?

yes it's always about the money. they should add multiplayer then. there are loads of people croaking about multiplayer. i bet that would bring more money.

As they've said multiple times, they'd basically have to re-write the code.  You ever had to re-write a paper or redo other work that you did, and then lost it?  Sometimes it's just not worth the money.  And Klei does have principles.

Edit: The "they have your money" line was tongue in cheek btw.  Klei's not like that.  I was pointing out not everything revolves around you and your opinion.

As they've said multiple times, they'd basically have to re-write the code.  You ever had to re-write a paper or redo other work that you did, and then lost it?  Sometimes it's just not worth the money.  And Klei does have principles.

get your facts straight man.

https://kleisupport.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/948100-multiplayer-in-don-t-starve

it's not about the work, it's about their vision of the game. they're not against it no, mods can happen, but it's not always about the money, that was my point.

get your facts straight man.

https://kleisupport.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/948100-multiplayer-in-don-t-starve

it's not about the work, it's about their vision of the game. they're not against it no, mods can happen, but it's not always about the money, that was my point.

Ya, hence the "and Klei does have principles" part.  I'm not going to re-hash their entire multiplayer argument every time it comes up.  Remind me again though, why Klei doesn't care about newbs?

Remind me again though, why Klei doesn't care about newbs?

Maybe I could have worded that better but it's my honest opinion that in matters of balance people who played more have more valuable opinions, simply because they understand and use the mechanics better. It's to be expected to not do so well at the start and to feel overwhelmed sometimes. Simply because ultimately it's a game and there are good ways to go about things and less good ways. Which at the start would be less obvious. The whole talk started from nerfs, how all the forum is bustling with people asking nerf this nerf that. Take any random change, nerf or not. Say, ice hounds in spring. Is that good or bad? Hard or not? Ask a "newb". Is he going to have a more valuable opinion than somebody who played the game longer? Besides banter on the forums and pulling legs, nobody would intentionally want to make the game unfair, for new or old players. That's why I said, if alot of people scream nerf, then maybe it's true.

Of course, early game for new players may get, not intentional, maybe a bit to hard. Do you think that's the case?

edit: they even got that disclaimer thing, if you played less than 35 days when you go for rog it says, dude, it's gonna be hard.

Maybe...then maybe it's true.

Of course, early game for new players may get, not intentional, maybe a bit to hard. Do you think that's the case?

edit: they even got that disclaimer thing, if you played less than 35 days when you go for rog it says, dude, it's gonna be hard.

I do see now that when you said they don't care about the "experience" you were meaning it in the sense of the accumulated playtime and familiarity with the systems, whereas I took it to mean the overall impression that newbs get when they are first playing (i.e. is this game a challenge, or so hard it's no fun).    That....is kind of ironic though, if you are indeed the guy that was arguing about Webber without even having actually played him (don't really feel like digging that thread out to check).

I do think the newb experiences with systems is just as important to Klei.  For different reasons.  Players with more experience can indeed judge the general balance of new systems better, and comment more intelligently.  But, the game has to appeal to new players so they need to take into consideration how the game feels to someone without much accumulated experience.

As regards the old bell which was kind of the departure for this tangent, I'm fine with what they've done.  I thought it was cheesy that you got the pan flute, and all the materials for the bell, all in the same place.  Though to be fair, a TRUE newb, it might be a VERY long time before they found the statue, and were there on a full moon, and figured it all out.  In that sense it was probably fine, but it only takes one wiki look to ruin that and I do think people devouring the wiki is more common than not. 

Now the flute is apparently random (haven't had time to play since official launch).  And 'mobs ring bell' change is hilarious.  I still wish you had to do more work for the bell materials.  Pan flutes are limited via mandrakes so it's not an infinite tool.  Sleep darts are, but they do take a little work.  I try to stay a bit agnostic in old bell arguments the same way I try to stay out of mod arguments in most cases.  But I do like what they've done.

The only reason I got into this thread was you seemed very dismissive of newbs, which I think is bad for a game's longevity.  Being a one-man business I'm kind of sensitive to these issues.   I know it's not ALL about the money, but in reality, we're only getting more significant DLC if it's profitable for Klei.  That's hard facts, regardless of Klei's principles (unless Klei has their own real life pig kind that gives them gold for steak).  Not that one man's dismissiveness will change Klei's solid MO.  I'm just contrary sometimes.

If you have problems with giants I have advise for you.

Go to the cave and find some Rock Lobsters feed them with stones and lure them out of the cave.

After a bit of time you will have little army next to you and if you will hear moaning stay near them and wait till giant attack\spawn.

They have pretty good resistance and dmg and they multiply pretty quickly. That's how I get three giants in one game.

I do see now that when you said they don't care about the "experience" you were meaning it in the sense of the accumulated playtime and familiarity with the systems, whereas I took it to mean the overall impression that newbs get when they are first playing (i.e. is this game a challenge, or so hard it's no fun).    That....is kind of ironic though, if you are indeed the guy that was arguing about Webber without even having actually played him (don't really feel like digging that thread out to check).

I do think the newb experiences with systems is just as important to Klei.  For different reasons.  Players with more experience can indeed judge the general balance of new systems better, and comment more intelligently.  But, the game has to appeal to new players so they need to take into consideration how the game feels to someone without much accumulated experience.

As regards the old bell which was kind of the departure for this tangent, I'm fine with what they've done.  I thought it was cheesy that you got the pan flute, and all the materials for the bell, all in the same place.  Though to be fair, a TRUE newb, it might be a VERY long time before they found the statue, and were there on a full moon, and figured it all out.  In that sense it was probably fine, but it only takes one wiki look to ruin that and I do think people devouring the wiki is more common than not. 

Now the flute is apparently random (haven't had time to play since official launch).  And 'mobs ring bell' change is hilarious.  I still wish you had to do more work for the bell materials.  Pan flutes are limited via mandrakes so it's not an infinite tool.  Sleep darts are, but they do take a little work.  I try to stay a bit agnostic in old bell arguments the same way I try to stay out of mod arguments in most cases.  But I do like what they've done.

The only reason I got into this thread was you seemed very dismissive of newbs, which I think is bad for a game's longevity.  Being a one-man business I'm kind of sensitive to these issues.   I know it's not ALL about the money, but in reality, we're only getting more significant DLC if it's profitable for Klei.  That's hard facts, regardless of Klei's principles (unless Klei has their own real life pig kind that gives them gold for steak).  Not that one man's dismissiveness will change Klei's solid MO.  I'm just contrary sometimes.

Well, I said Webber is op because he can get carpets of doom and basically infinite food, as monster meat has no drawbacks for him. He asked if I ever played Webber, I said no. Because I obviously don't know what I'm talking about, right? Op compared to what? To wx maybe not so op. But then again, let's not open this can of worms. Everybody has a different playstyle and some can bend the mechanics more than others. I guess the right thing to say is that if you're going for something specific, there is an "op" char for that specific thing.

Yes, old bell was cheese. Pan flute is random. At least I never found it at the statue since, but I don't think it's completely taken out.

Hey man, I said a number of times around these forums that no matter how much we would all want more, it has to make money. If RoG sells good then maybe we're in luck.

Well, I said Webber is op because he can get carpets of doom and basically infinite food, as monster meat has no drawbacks for him. He asked if I ever played Webber, I said no. Because I obviously don't know what I'm talking about, right? Op compared to what? To wx maybe not so op. But then again, let's not open this can of worms. Everybody has a different playstyle and some can bend the mechanics more than others. I guess the right thing to say is that if you're going for something specific, there is an "op" char for that specific thing.

Yes, old bell was cheese. Pan flute is random. At least I never found it at the statue since, but I don't think it's completely taken out.

Hey man, I said a number of times around these forums that no matter how much we would all want more, it has to make money. If RoG sells good then maybe we're in luck.

If Reign of Giants does amazingly well they could fund a multiplayer project, or some other cool thing.

The old bell + panflute seems OP, but I never used it, so my opinion isn't 100%.

KLEI cares about money and players, a balance.

About Webber, monster meat is his only big advantage, since spiders being neutral is only good early game, when a **** ton of pigmen is better late game.

Archived