Base destroyed yet again

I have been playing Don't Starve for a couple of months and thought I would give RoG a test drive. OMG!!

My base has been destroyed for the 4th time now. Here is a brief summary of my time so far:

Year 1

Spring: No Goose/Moose. Enjoyed the rain/frogs/wetness challenge.

Summer: Luckily I had some ice and an icebox (gears courtesy of clockwork hating beefalo herd) though it was still a struggle. Near the end of summer I was hunting a Koalefant and I had just found the last pile when the Dragonfly appeared at the edge of the screen. Well I panicked and ran all the way back to base, got there, turned around and the dragonfly was right there behind me. He spat some fire/lava on something (chest I think). Panic took hold as I didn't have an ice flingy thingy so I hit him with an ice staff to get his attention in an attempt to lure him away and he did his bouncy attack thing and everything caught fire. I led him to the beefalo herd and ran away. Came back the next day and there was only cooked meat so I guess he just killed some beefalo then despawned. Glommer also died but his wings were still there so not sure if it was the Dragonfly that killed him, unless the wings are fireproof. Not sure.

Autumn: Spent half the season rebuilding and on the last day Bearger turned up and started munching all the meat on my drying racks. Fotunately I had some meat on me so I led him away from the base, aggroed him and took him down to the trusty beefalo herd and ran away again like the great warrior that I am. Again he must have despawned as there was no drop.

Winter: Right on cue Deerclops turned up on the last day of winter. Panic ensued as I ran about grabbing some stuff as he stomped around my base, smashing up most of it. Led him down to the, now thinning, beefalo herd and of course I ran away (discretion is the better part of valour). Man those beefalo must hate me.

Year 2

Spring: Day 1 and Goose/Moose turned up (Lordy, Lordy). Usual tactic with the Beefalo (actually there are 2 herds relatively close to each other). When  I returned there was some meat, a huge feather and egg. Nice, finally I get a drop.

Summer: No dragonfly but the heat got my base this time. I turned the ice flinger off at dusk thinking it was safe to do so. it was not. First thing I knew fire was leaping from my farms towards my chests and structures. Switched the ice flinger on but most of the damage was done.

Autumn: Last day of autumn and the hounds appeared just before dusk. Ran down to my modest panic room and fought them off and then just as darkness was closing in I heard the Bearger. This game is so cruel. I froze with  fear and I could hear him smashing the walls of my panic room. Swiftly made a couple of torches and ran up the road a bit, listening to him stomp around. As day broke I moved to my base nearby and caught him eating all my meat. By this point I had crafted the Old Bell and decided to take him out. I hit him with the icestaff in an attempt to lure him away. Very bad move!! By now he was in the middle of my base heading towards the icebox and when the icestaff hit him he did this front paw slam on the ground and destroyed my ENTIRE base, then he came at me. Ran away to an open space then used the pan flute/bell combo to get rid of him

So I am now on the first day of winter with no base or panic room and dwindling resources. I have hardly had a chance to explore as I seem to be constantly rebuilding my base and gathering resources. Basically I would like to know if this is the norm or have I been extremely unlucky, because if it is the norm then I am going back to the vanilla version, where i have never fought Deerclops or even been in the caves. I haven't played for over a week now as i just can't face the base rebuilding yet again.

It sounds like you have some bad luck. I've never had my base destroyed in ROG, because I run away from it when I see any sign of danger. It is a good idea to be away from your base during the day so that if a boss does appear, they come in where you are harvesting or exploring rather then at your base. 

Just a little tip to avoid massive base destruction: if you ever hear a giant coming your way, leave your base. If you are away from your base, don't go there, ever. That's what I did most of the time and I never had my base destroyed.

Also, I make a ''panic bag''. I leave a backpack on the ground somewhere in my base with equipment to deal with an eventual giant. If I hear him coming, no time to look in the chests of craft some weapons/armor: I just grab the panic bag and run the hell out of my base. I guess you could also leave a panic bag somewhere outside your camp in case you are away when the giant comes. That will allow you to pick important gear to deal with the giant without having to go anywhere near your camp! =)

Hope that helps!

as soon as you hear the rumble of an incoming giant you should move away from your base, far away. They dont just spawn randomly somewhere in the world they spawn near you, so if you're a long away from camp it wont get destroyed.

Just a little tip to avoid massive base destruction: if you ever hear a giant coming your way, leave your base. If you are away from your base, don't go there, ever. That's what I did most of the time and I never had my base destroyed.

Also, I make a ''panic bag''. I leave a backpack on the ground somewhere in my base with equipment to deal with an eventual giant. If I hear him coming, no time to look in the chests of craft some weapons/armor: I just grab the panic bag and run the hell out of my base. I guess you could also leave a panic bag somewhere outside your camp in case you are away when the giant comes. That will allow you to pick important gear to deal with the giant without having to go anywhere near your camp! =)

Hope that helps!

very smart 

I have been playing Don't Starve for a couple of months and thought I would give RoG a test drive. OMG!!

My base has been destroyed for the 4th time now. Here is a brief summary of my time so far:

Year 1

Spring: No Goose/Moose. Enjoyed the rain/frogs/wetness challenge.

Summer: Luckily I had some ice and an icebox (gears courtesy of clockwork hating beefalo herd) though it was still a struggle. Near the end of summer I was hunting a Koalefant and I had just found the last pile when the Dragonfly appeared at the edge of the screen. Well I panicked and ran all the way back to base, got there, turned around and the dragonfly was right there behind me. He spat some fire/lava on something (chest I think). Panic took hold as I didn't have an ice flingy thingy so I hit him with an ice staff to get his attention in an attempt to lure him away and he did his bouncy attack thing and everything caught fire. I led him to the beefalo herd and ran away. Came back the next day and there was only cooked meat so I guess he just killed some beefalo then despawned. Glommer also died but his wings were still there so not sure if it was the Dragonfly that killed him, unless the wings are fireproof. Not sure.

Autumn: Spent half the season rebuilding and on the last day Bearger turned up and started munching all the meat on my drying racks. Fotunately I had some meat on me so I led him away from the base, aggroed him and took him down to the trusty beefalo herd and ran away again like the great warrior that I am. Again he must have despawned as there was no drop.

Winter: Right on cue Deerclops turned up on the last day of winter. Panic ensued as I ran about grabbing some stuff as he stomped around my base, smashing up most of it. Led him down to the, now thinning, beefalo herd and of course I ran away (discretion is the better part of valour). Man those beefalo must hate me.

Year 2

Spring: Day 1 and Goose/Moose turned up (Lordy, Lordy). Usual tactic with the Beefalo (actually there are 2 herds relatively close to each other). When  I returned there was some meat, a huge feather and egg. Nice, finally I get a drop.

Summer: No dragonfly but the heat got my base this time. I turned the ice flinger off at dusk thinking it was safe to do so. it was not. First thing I knew fire was leaping from my farms towards my chests and structures. Switched the ice flinger on but most of the damage was done.

Autumn: Last day of autumn and the hounds appeared just before dusk. Ran down to my modest panic room and fought them off and then just as darkness was closing in I heard the Bearger. This game is so cruel. I froze with  fear and I could hear him smashing the walls of my panic room. Swiftly made a couple of torches and ran up the road a bit, listening to him stomp around. As day broke I moved to my base nearby and caught him eating all my meat. By this point I had crafted the Old Bell and decided to take him out. I hit him with the icestaff in an attempt to lure him away. Very bad move!! By now he was in the middle of my base heading towards the icebox and when the icestaff hit him he did this front paw slam on the ground and destroyed my ENTIRE base, then he came at me. Ran away to an open space then used the pan flute/bell combo to get rid of him

So I am now on the first day of winter with no base or panic room and dwindling resources. I have hardly had a chance to explore as I seem to be constantly rebuilding my base and gathering resources. Basically I would like to know if this is the norm or have I been extremely unlucky, because if it is the norm then I am going back to the vanilla version, where i have never fought Deerclops or even been in the caves. I haven't played for over a week now as i just can't face the base rebuilding yet again.

i feel bad for you XD such bad luck but like tons of people said make sure to STAY AWAY from your base. Lead [Creature, threat danger] away from your camp in 1 straight line and circle around it and head home.

rush old bell and make pigs near your base and have a tent this way you can deal with almost anything

The old bell will decimate your base if you aren't careful. And pigs can't do anything against 3/4 of the giants.

Best thing to do is run when you hear the breathing sounds, then come back when its safe.

Hope that helps!

This is excellent advice.

After having my base partially destroyed by Bearger then completely by Deerclops (which also resulted in my death) +1 to running away fro your base as soon as your hear the rumblings or whatever the sound is that lets you know a Giant is going to spawn soon.

Thanks for the replies and tips folks. It would appear that fleeing AWAY from my base is what I should be doing not hanging around it.

You can turn off summer in the world settings.

You can also turn off the giants, or set them to less.

I have always played the default version of the vanilla game as tinkering with the world settings always seemed to be.... I dont know, cheating? But thats probably just me. I think I will start a new ROG game and tinker with the giants setting. I will keep summer although there seems to be a consensus  on these posts that summer is a bit boring after you overcome the heating mechanic. I haven't reached that stage yet.

Hope that helps!

Wow great tip Neo. Why did I not think of that? I will definitely do this next game. Again thanks for the replies.

My advice??

if you run from the gigants, it´s totally normal for you beefalos and base to be destroyed and/or eaten.

fight the gigants, kill the gigants, that way you will always get the loot, and your base and food will be fine, its easy to kite them all to death except the deerclops, his freezing power makes him dangerous.....

Archived