Treeguards and their current uselessness

Hey guys,

Just writing to say about a little thing that bothers me currently.

After Woodie got added, the chances for a treeguard to appear were nerfed to just 1.33 in 100. This was kind of solved by Klei by adding the totally normal trees which are an alternative but limited supply of living logs for people to grab.

In the vanilla game, you now have to work hard to get one to appear by amassing an army of pigs to help you out. This was hard and annoying, but it was the only way to get one to appear quickly. Now, because of the addition of the poison birchnut tree, there is no longer any point in getting one to appear and living logs can be easily obtained by angering some of them.

The treeguards have become an endangered species and even getting one to appear is no longer worth it because you can easily obtain living logs elsewhere.

As a suggestion, I would say that the birchnut trees should not drop living logs and that when not playing as Woodie the treeguards would get an increased chance to spawn.

Alternatively, the treeguards could drop something that can be crafted together with what the birchnut trees drop to create living logs. (Pure wood and Living leaves maybe?)

Sorry for the rant, although I hope you guys can see what I am getting at.

I agree! Before the various updates, treeguards were unique because they dropped living logs, but now they're just useless.

Maybe when cutting with Lucy, the chance to spawn treeguards lowers? Birchnut trees shouldn't drop living logs, they should drop something that doesn't hinder the treeguards' usefulness.

I think that treeguards have just been turned into more of a rare danger (for those that aren't already used to dealing with them, at the least) than something you actively want to appear to nab living logs from.

Because even -before- their spawn rate was nerfed, it was a really big pain to make them appear. I'd plant tight-packed squares of literally over a hundred pine trees and chop them up with pigs helping and -not get one-. Living logs might be kind of easy to get now in comparison to before (To be honest I haven't tried to kill a birchguard yet) but, before, trying to get them was just luckgarbage :/

I don't see any problem with them as they are now, aside from possibly the default spawnrate (I play with them on lots).

They might not be the most reliable source of living logs, but they work very well as base defences, particularly against hounds and stuff like the bearger. I also find them significantly easier to kill than birchguards.

The spawn rate could be increased, but I don't see anything else being necessary.

I just wish they would fix the birchnut bug, and buff the fighting of tree guards. I want tree guards to be more of a threat, but give more reward. I also like the idea that one tree is safer than the other, but takes much longer to get living logs. 

Totally Normal Trees were added because tree guards never liked showing up, and with their spawn rate being toggle-able, I don't think the tree guards will be changed to spawn more. Having to kill both trees for materials to make living logs would take a long time just to get a few.

They bug out after a while and don't aggro anything. You can return after a day trip and enjoy your easily-ascertained Living Logs at no expense. 

I've heard about that, but I'd just feel like I was abusing a glitch that hasn't been tweaked yet if I took advantage of it.

Well, treeguards are a bit of a boss-like monster...so how about add a rare material that they only drop, or a rare weapon/item like the other bosses. Possibly a torch that never runs out? A sword-like item that inflicts a small amount of bleed (pine needle?)?, maybe a pinecone on the side to allow you to spawn another "neutral" one that takes a few days to grow?

I think the problem only shows up because you actually want to farm them for living logs. They are, by definition, a boss monster. I don't usually farm Spider Queens nor do I camp near tier 3 spider dens waiting for them to spawn. They just eventually spawn as I happen to be near one for some random reason. At some point, during your game, you will need some wood to build a chest. You will then take your thrusty axe and swing it at the nearest tree you can find and 3 giant treeguards will spawn near you because you angered the forest. You will have to deal with them in whatever manner you prefer and if you want to, you'll get some living logs. As mentionned by others (and even by yourself) there are other easier methods to acquire living logs. But the ''threat'' (if it can be called as much) of the treeguards will always be there because you will (oh yes you will!) need wood, at some point or another =)

I reckon Treeguard should drop Nightmare Fuel (the biggest ones, that is). They drop a bucket load of living logs, but there are plenty of ways to get living logs these days. At the moment in my game, I just spawned 2 Treants (day 38 too; lucky, lucky me!) - 1 super large one and 1 baby one (first time I've -ever- seen the small one... I was always wondering what they were), and whilst it may have been night time, I still made short work of them with kiting. 

Anyway, thing is: you have 3 different sizes of treants. Surely each could have a different chance of spawning? The small one coming at you often wouldn't be a big deal to most players, would it? I think it'd be kind of cool. Now, if you imagine the medium sized one as a more sturdy opponent that comes every now and then to some kind of event (be it still the % chance of spawning or something a bit more intricate but related to cutting trees), that'd make the variation a bit more novel. Now, let's imagine the BIG one as gaining slight AoE with a slightly larger reach than it currently has (this one shouldn't be so easy to kite but shouldn't be impossible to kite like a Deerclops or something). This one drops nightmare fuel?

So much more could be done with trees. I really dunno why they're so dormant.  

They're far from useless.  I always try to get as many as possible in one area, in order to fight giants.   If anything I'd say nerf the living log drop rate of birchguards.  Although I'm sort of holding off judging birchguards till they fix the de-aggro glitch.  Assuming it's a glitch.

In the vanilla game, you now have to work hard to get one to appear by amassing an army of pigs to help you out. 

That seems overly complicated.  One clockwork rook can help you root one out, pun intended.  If he doesn't find one after going through a good number of trees, plant some pine cones and try again in a couple days.

Well, treeguards are a bit of a boss-like monster...so how about add a rare material that they only drop, or a rare weapon/item like the other bosses. Possibly a torch that never runs out? A sword-like item that inflicts a small amount of bleed (pine needle?)?, maybe a pinecone on the side to allow you to spawn another "neutral" one that takes a few days to grow?

You add green gems and it's k for me.

Archived