Tweak to Wickerbottom

I would really like to tweak Wickerbottom's insomnia. I don't like that she can never sleep. It feels like she should just have troubles surrounding sleeping. A couple of ideas around it.

• At random, any given day there could be a random chance (hidden from the player) that she can sleep that day.
  • With a higher random chance of being able to sleep, she only sleeps through 1/2 or 1/4 of the night/day, gaining an equivalent amount of sanity and either equivalent hunger or standard hunger.
  • After a random number of days she is allowed to sleep once. After using that sleep, a new random number is chosen before she can sleep again.

It's just something that's felt slightly off with her. I've never had a problem mechanically with how she plays, but it doesn't feel entirely faithful to being an insomniac. Particularly, I'd like how it'd change how she handles the caves.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I have no problem maintaining sanity, my problem is surrounding insomnia. Like I said, it's more a tweak to be faithful to the actual condition. And if you think glommer is op, then you never used Tam 'o Shanter. 20%  repair rate? Yes please. You only ever need 1 but I like several chests full and a path of canes leading to the walrus camps. It's not about collecting, it's about sending a message.

I'm in two minds.

While I think the insomnia is a good trade-off for her abilities, I'd totally take losing the extra research level in favour of being able to sleep once in a blue moon (Or full moon :p ) Just in order to fast forward a day or two.

I often take measures to prevent it from happening rather than having a solution to fix it once it gets low enough.

That is a good point and leaving aside the idea of keeping to insomnia irl, changes in RoG do make being able to rest on occasion better. Insanity from equipping wet tools/clothes from being under prepared, buffs to the caves and Deerclops, heat and likely more things to come it can be beneficial to compound benefits from resting in addition to eating sanity-restoring foods. After some sort of more likely catastrophe (fires, attacks, ect), I think I'd find my self grabbing at a chance of sleep. That and time acceleration chances in the winter when you are fully supplied sounds good as well.

All this being said, I haven't gotten back to playing Wickerbottom. I've been spending time with Wilson and Wigfrid but I can see these being more pressing. It's why I'm in favor of an RNG based ability to sleep for Wickerbottom, should it be implemented.

I'm in two minds.

While I think the insomnia is a good trade-off for her abilities, I'd totally take losing the extra research level in favour of being able to sleep once in a blue moon (Or full moon :razz: ) Just in order to fast forward a day or two.

I never sleep with any of the characters. I'm usually bust building, cooking, crafting, etc. through the night.

I never sleep with any of the characters. I'm usually bust building, cooking, crafting, etc. through the night.

Same.   If I am in major need of a sanity boost for some reason and don't have green shrooms around, I spend a day chopping wood with pigs.  Takes care of it easy.

a path of canes leading to the walrus camps. It's not about collecting, it's about sending a message.

OMG love this now I have purpose for my walking canes!!

On topic I have played with wickerbottom recently and never have sanity problems unless I over use her books but even then I have already prepared for the bounce back for using them in the first place, though sleeping through winter nights would be nice just to fast forward when I don't have any major projects to prep for...

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I have no problem maintaining sanity, my problem is surrounding insomnia. Like I said, it's more a tweak to be faithful to the actual condition. And if you think glommer is op, then you never used Tam 'o Shanter. 20%  repair rate? Yes please. You only ever need 1 but I like several chests full and a path of canes leading to the walrus camps. It's not about collecting, it's about sending a message.

That was magical, btw. 

Archived