Winter bugged? Freezing even with fire.

I took a quick scan through the forums, but didn't see any existing threads. My apologies if this is a repeat, but....

Earlier today, I was watching my girlfriend play. She was five days into winter, over the course of several plays, but on her most recent session (first post patch) she was incapable of staying warm. She had two fires, ear muffs and two heating stones, yet neither heating stone changed color (one was brand new), and frost remained on her screen throughout the duration of night. I don't believe she was taking damage, but the frost on the screen was certainly aberrant (and he was affecting his shivering animation).

She has logged over 100 hours in Don't Starve, pre beta, so she knows the basics of heating proximity.

p.s. Should summer come before winter? Her game started in what we thought was spring, and we have yet to experience any unusual heating effects that would have indicated a "summer"..   

p.p.s. Sorry, now that I glance at the forum structure, I should have put this in the bug subforum. My bad. I'd delete this and repost, but thread deletion doesn't seem a feature of this software. 

Just to be clear - did she make sure that none of the fires was the new endothermic kind, that actually draws heat? If so, you could try using a mod or in other ways visualise player temperature, to see if it's the freeze animation that sticks, or if the actual temperature isn't rising. Then report it as a bug.

I just got to winter and experienced this, too. The only way I can get the ice to go away is by maxing out the firepit... Seems harder to heat up thermal stones, too, although a bit easier than it was before this patch (placed campfires won't heat them up to orange-level).

• Developer

If the thermal stones are cold, they give off a cold aura (much like the endothermic fires). They could hypothetically keep each other cold in this way. 

I haven't been able to reproduce this bug myself, so that's just my best guess as to what's going on. Please let me know if it sounds accurate.

If that doesn't sound like what you're experiencing, it would help a lot if you could provide us with some additional details: exactly what steps you took and what the conditions were. Thanks!

It just happened to me too. The thermal stone was yellow (in my inventory) and the fire was low, but I wasn't too far away from it. The warning only went away was when the fire was stoked at max and having my character shove their face in it.

Didn't have any other warm gear on, but that never happened to me before. 

• Developer

Can you check what revision your game is on? To do so, press backspace. The revision number will be in the bottom left.

If you're not on revision 97796, this might actually be an old bug: we patched the behavior of the heat stone/thermal stone in the update that went out on Wednesday.

• Developer

It's reading revision 97796 for me.  The bug is something that happened in this morning's play session.  

Hmm, okay. Can you provide us with some more information about the conditions in the game and the specific steps you took that led to this? I haven't seen any issues with the thermal/heat stone in Winter since we put out the patch, personally.

Hmm, okay. Can you provide us with some more information about the conditions in the game and the specific steps you took that led to this? I haven't seen any issues with the thermal/heat stone in Winter since we put out the patch, personally.

I don't think anything out of the ordinary happened prior. Just a normal night in the middle of winter. I was well in a low fire light aura with a yellow thermal stone in my inventory.  I should probably play more night's like that just to be sure, but it does seem rare and weird. When it happened the warning frost took around 5 seconds to go away with my character right next to a max blazing fire pit.  

Archived