How about some late-game stuff?

GuGonce

While everyone keeps suggesting good stuff, i don't see how all of these would impact on the late-game. By late-game,i mean after 100/200 days.

I thought that with the ps4 launch this wouldn't be so discussed because there are a lot of new players but i already saw some streams of ps4 users on days 500 and even 1000, and the one on day 500 said on a recently stream that he doesn't know what to do because he already did everything (Exploring all the caves and ruins in the map included).

Personally,i keep reseting my world in new settings,playing in characters i don't usually play but all of this results on the same end: Nothing to do.

Sure,this DLC will add content enough to postpone this "boredom fase" of the world but i don't see anything specific for the late-game.

I loved that suggestion of the Pigs vs Merms war but it would be nice if it's something that happens after a good amount of time on the world.

A meteor rain would be nice too. Like, every 100 days or X amount of rains, meteors would fall,like on the caves, but on fire. It would destroy a big amount of resources on the world until it gets impossible to survive and the teleportato becomes the only choice. The meteorites rocks could be useful to craft a strong item too,considering it wouldn't rain this way so often.

I guess i made my point here, what you all think about it?

There's an old topic here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/25530-an-apocalypse-event-great-plague-meteor-rain-great-impact-ice-age-evolution/

That talks about the possibility of "Apocalypse events" giving a difficult challenge to survive after day 100/150 (or something along those lines, been a while since I read it)

I like the idea, perhaps an extra long winter, extra mobs from day 200, or even a potential world editing event that shakes up the experience of your current world.

It'll certainly be a while until anything like this comes about though - Lets be honest, we don't know what the two extra seasons will hold in the new DLC - Could possibly be more late game challenges too?

There's an old topic here: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/25530-an-apocalypse-event-great-plague-meteor-rain-great-impact-ice-age-evolution/

That talks about the possibility of "Apocalypse events" giving a difficult challenge to survive after day 100/150 (or something along those lines, been a while since I read it)

I like the idea, perhaps an extra long winter, extra mobs from day 200, or even a potential world editing event that shakes up the experience of your current world.

It'll certainly be a while until anything like this comes about though - Lets be honest, we don't know what the two extra seasons will hold in the new DLC - Could possibly be more late game challenges too?

Don't think extra long winter is the way to go; after you figure out how to survive winter it is really quite easy to feed cooked monster meat to your bird and store up a good amount of honey.  The game needs new late game challenges, something that can circumvent a pile of tooth traps.

Yes, I like your idea (more late game stuff.)

but please no meteor showers that destroy your world.

I think that these rains of doom would make your "late game stuff" kinda pointless if your world is going to be destroyed anyway.

But that is only my opinion.

I thought of this as an incentive to re-explore the world again, to gather substitutes to what was destroyed. Also to encourage the use of the teleportato.

Thulecite stuff anyone? Or upgraded Thulecite stuff, maybe?

The meteorites could be made of thelucite,as a way to renew thelucite, although slowly and potentially dangerous.

If the seasons remain the time they have now (15-20 days on default), then it could be a "late-game feature" as you would have to wait 60 days aproximately to gather that season-specific item again. I hope so but only time will tell us if it'll be like this or not...

While everyone keeps suggesting good stuff, i don't see how all of these would impact on the late-game. By late-game,i mean after 100/200 days.

I thought that with the ps4 launch this wouldn't be so discussed because there are a lot of new players but i already saw some streams of ps4 users on days 500 and even 1000, and the one on day 500 said on a recently stream that he doesn't know what to do because he already did everything (Exploring all the caves and ruins in the map included).

Personally,i keep reseting my world in new settings,playing in characters i don't usually play but all of this results on the same end: Nothing to do.

Sure,this DLC will add content enough to postpone this "boredom fase" of the world but i don't see anything specific for the late-game.

I loved that suggestion of the Pigs vs Merms war but it would be nice if it's something that happens after a good amount of time on the world.

A meteor rain would be nice too. Like, every 100 days or X amount of rains, meteors would fall,like on the caves, but on fire. It would destroy a big amount of resources on the world until it gets impossible to survive and the teleportato becomes the only choice. The meteorites rocks could be useful to craft a strong item too,considering it wouldn't rain this way so often.

I guess i made my point here, what you all think about it?

sounds great!

If the seasons remain the time they have now (15-20 days on default), then it could be a "late-game feature" as you would have to wait 60 days aproximately to gather that season-specific item again. I hope so but only time will tell us if it'll be like this or not...

Indeed. My thinking is also that it would be incredibly cruel of Klei to bombard us with different giants for every season from day 1. So it's probable the summer giant (Not confirmed yet, but hopefully tomorrow :D) won't appear until the second summer at which point would be day 65-70 odd. And keeping in mind the new biomes they intend to implement, and the possibility of new items, craftables - It'll certain beef up the game substantially and give it a longer playable run - And hopefully making it seem less "End Game" like once you've hit day 150.

I definitely like your idea. The most I've made it was day 420 but i had to switch worlds due to an update at the time. But even then even though I had some difficulty finding what to do I was able to amuse myself by just creating some cool scenarios and just expanding more and more on my base. But yes, the game desperately needs more challenges added to the late game. Meteor showers can definitely be one method of reducing world resources slowly.

I personally want something like a plague or a curse or something similar that would slowly start turning the world into a wasteland that origins from a random part of the map and slowly consumes the whole map and the player can only slow it down but not stop completely. As it infects more and more of the map it can make certain monsters stronger, completely kill off passive animals that serve as just a source of food (Beefalo, tallbirds, pigs etc. etc.) and unfertilize crops permanently, turn all biomes into just the featureless "no ground" tileset, turn regular trees into spiky trees or lumpy trees (increasing their chances of turning into lumpy treeguards as well), regular twigs into spiky twigs, regular bee homes into their evil versions and also fissures will start to appear on the surface and basically affect everything else negatively (since listing everything would take too long) until the player pretty much has to leave the world. I think this would be a great way imo of slowly turning the player's world against him but not so randomly that he is just killed off instantly by the changes. And I know that this idea is very unlikely to happen but I personally would love it. If the player stays in the world long enough the world will pretty much look like the place where Maxwell's throne resides and it will have turned into perma-night as well.

The replay-ability of the game is an issue, (as with any), but I guess it becomes apparent quicker once you become a pro. The apocalyptic ideas sound need, but a bit complex. Maybe the plot can be expanded upon by having a shadow army rise up to throw the island in chaos and the effects/story could depend on whatever character is present on the throne.

The replay-ability of the game is an issue, (as with any), but I guess it becomes apparent quicker once you become a pro. The apocalyptic ideas sound need, but a bit complex. Maybe the plot can be expanded upon by having a shadow army rise up to throw the island in chaos and the effects/story could depend on whatever character is present on the throne.

As for items, maybe becoming a long-term member of pig society by holding dancing contests could help make the world feel less empty.

I guess there is two big aspects to think about here: More things to do in late game, and more things to worry about in late game. There already is some sort of high-tier gear and equipment to aquire down in the caves, though it all seems not really worth the effort in my opinion. Either way, the caves already give that option of end-game dungeon-y challenge that surely can be expanded upon in the future. There could always be a bit more stuf to get and to do; but at the end of the day, the challenges will run out eventually. At some point, you will just have done everything and there is nothing left to do in that world; which is why the teleportato system exists in the first place. So in my opinion, I would love to see the world turn to ruin in some way or another.

The way I imagined it in the past is that the dangers of winter or summer get more and more extreme. There might be a form of iceage that would last for 40~ days, with high snow, incredibly low temperature and creatures of the cold rising up. Maybe Deerclops brings his family along and they have a nice tea party with Wilson fries. The pigs could permanently turn to werepigs to have the fur protect them from the cold, the pig king would lift his fat butt off the ground and scavenge the land with his extended family, all in all everything would turn more hostile. That would force the player to retreat to the first level of the caves to survive, unless he's REALLY well prepared to take on the dangers of the freezing world. If he does manage, there might be some special rewards; an item unique to a slain pig king, for example. Once the ice age runs off, permanent damage could have been done to the world; permanently turning pigs hostile, the obvious removal of the pig king in the described scenario, the killing off of a lot of animals like for example the Tallbirds (Beefalos would be able to stand the cold though, with their thick fur and all), and also eradicating berry bushes and lureplants. Whether or not the damage would be absolutely permanent, or if the pigs would re-settle and the berry bushes regrow, I haven't thought through; I tend towards permanent though; after all, a mechanic like this would aim to motivate a player to LEAVE his world.

Similar scenarios could be thought up; a heatwave that turns the world into a desert, the swamp arising and the tentacles tearing through the land, big-scale pig vs. merm confrontations, the rise of the bunnymen, or the reign of the giants, but it all would boil down to making your world less habitable. And if one manages to survive to day 1000 even against all the odds, the world could just fall apart around him; it IS an island surrounded by the sea after all, and I always liked the idea of the land crumbling into the ocean, removing the landscape and forcing the player to move towards a certain center: the wooden thing. Now there is no choice but to move on, as you have beaten this world completely; it has nothing left to offer you, so it falls apart around you.

Those were just some ideas I thought up quite a while ago, and this topic brought the memories back. I thought I might aswell share. Of course, I don't expect any of this overblown nonsense to actually be implemented, but you can always dream, right?

MeingroessterFan, I absolutely love your idea of a harder winter. Permanent damage may annoy me on some level if I wasn't able to build something due to a complete absence, but an option to turn it on and off would be welcomed. It seems by permanent change would be behavior changes in the fauna, which is completely fine as long as the same resources can be gathered, albeit in a different manner.

Wide scale land and terrain shifts would be fun as well. Biomes could slowly spread or be overtaken over due to environmental or player influences. Land shifts could cause earthquakes above ground and base structures could randomly break or fall into the ocean...I can dream.

Ok, here are my ideas for this:

First of all a small addition that won't necessarily be late game: sickness. If you don't look after yourself then you can get sick which has adverse effects on your sanity, health and hunger. For example, every time you eat raw food you have a small chance of getting a stomach bug which makes you vomit every game day or so; vomiting will completely drain your hunger which will lead to health loss eventually too. Maybe this can be healed with a suitable herb found in the world (not a complex recipe). Another sickness could be a common cold which you have a small chance of catching every time you start to freeze in winter. Catching a cold will make the effects of winter slightly worse and will drain sanity too.

As for late game ideas, this is my idea and some of you might not agree... But what it there were meteor strikes randomly after day 100 and every strike had a chance of spawning an 'evil meteor'. This evil meteor can be destroyed by the player if they find it (does not show up on map unless you sight it). The 'evil meteor' would slowly start spreading its evil influence by:

-Converting biomes around it to swamps or some other inhospitable biome,

-Controlling all mobs that it's area of influence overlaps. The mobs become mindless zombies that cluster round the 'evil meteor' to protect it.

-When enough zombie mobs have built up they start releasing a few at a time to track down and attack the player (kinda like hounds do in waves).

To stop this threat the player will have to either raise their own army to take down the evil one and destroy the meteor or will have to avoid its spread until the world is basically destroyed. If the meteor is destroyed then I guess all the zombie mobs either die or convert to normal again.

The key would be to immediately set out to find it once you have had your first 'zombie beefalo' herd attack you, because then you know it is in play. This would exponentially increase the difficulty of the game at the later stages.

Just my idea, thanks for reading.

We are still missing a lot of renewable resources. A lot of the stuff is so rare and specific I just don't see a prudent person ever using them at all for fear of wasting a limited resource. Some more creative ways of introducing these resources into the world without making them farmable could be more random events such as invasions, meteors, nightmare moons, etc.

We are still missing a lot of renewable resources. A lot of the stuff is so rare and specific I just don't see a prudent person ever using them at all for fear of wasting a limited resource. Some more creative ways of introducing these resources into the world without making them farmable could be more random events such as invasions, meteors, nightmare moons, etc.

I like your idea.

Monster mandrake invasion or deadly gem storm sounds cool to me.

I like your idea.

Monster mandrake invasion or deadly gem storm sounds cool to me.

Maybe a wierd solar effect could cause strange things to happen to the plant life for a few days. Such as causing vegetables in your farms coming to life and trying to eat you, mandrakes spawning as well as tree guards.

Archived