What's with this "dawn" thing?

Hpfm2

I had seen this back in the day, suggestion for a dawn. And now that the DLC is about, I see this suggestion even more. I just wanna ask, if you're one of these persons, what is the reason to wanting dawn? It feels like a pointless feature, if you ask me, but I wanna be proved wrong.

Dawn could be interesting if it brings something interesting in terms of mechanics - like it's dark out, but no Charlie (an inverse of Dusk).  I hadn't seen the discussions on it, but I'd be interested to hear how people would want it to be implemented.

I just cringe when people say the word "realism"

I don't play to be realistic. A realistic game would be the most boring thing ever. So yes, I deem that argument invalid, good sir! You are out of the discussion!

It shouldn't be there just for the "realism", it should be there for a smooth transition. The transition from night to day is literally a few seconds, while, at times, dusk's length is almost half the in-game clock. That's a bit long for a shift through parts of the day, don't you think? To add dawn would cut dusk in half, and remove that massive wait time for night to finally arrive after an absurd amount of sitting about, twiddling your thumbs just so you won't be caught with your pants down. For me anyways, it always seems that dusk is just really, really long; Maybe being a personal thing, but still applicable to this situation.

Come on TruthSeeker, Make an extended version of this! (on topic) Dawn would be really cool. I support this!

truthseeker

and I don't take other people's work and modify it without their consent. MycoLogicl's poetry is beautiful (and funny!)

As for the dawn thing, on the fence if I want dawn or not. And dagnabbit, I got this song stuck in my head from this topic!

When the day comes, it IS dawn. Why must it be a transition? The sun comes out, that is dawn, morning and afternoon. Done.

By that reasoning, there is no need for dusk either. I deem your argument invalid, fine sire.

Okay, now that I got more time, my full stance on this. It always bugged me that night just went over to day in a flash. Dawn doesn't have to fulfill any other purpose other than making the game feel smoother, which at least for me it would. Also, another time of day would add more possibilities for events that would happen just at that specific time. I believe the dawn mod actually involves some sort of... golden butterfly? I think? Stuff like that unique to a specific time of day would make the world feel more complete if you ask me. I really don't see how it's "pointless".

It always bugged me that night just went over to day in a flash. 

It doesn't bother you that night is only 1/4 as long as day? Or that you can build a fully functional axe out of sticks and rocks? Or how about the fact that you can make a house out of the skin of pigs that somehow gives birth to more pigs? And I didn't even mention all the monsters and magic.

In terms of realism, the lack of dawn is one of the last things you should worry about.

It doesn't bother you that night is only 1/4 as long as day? Or that you can build a fully functional axe out of sticks and rocks? Or how about the fact that you can make a house out of the skin of pigs that somehow gives birth to more pigs? And I didn't even mention all the monsters and magic.

In terms of realism, the lack of dawn is one of the last things you should worry about.

I don't care about realism, I care about atmosphere.

The dusk serves the purpose of warning you that the night is coming. I SUPOSE a smoother transition to day would not be COMPLETELY pointless... It's just really down on my list of things that should be added. But I understand your argument, and for managing to make your way back into the discusiion, you gain one imaginary point.

Treasure it well. They'll be usefull some day.

By that reasoning, there is no need for dusk either. I deem your argument invalid, fine sire.

Okay, now that I got more time, my full stance on this. It always bugged me that night just went over to day in a flash. Dawn doesn't have to fulfill any other purpose other than making the game feel smoother, which at least for me it would. Also, another time of day would add more possibilities for events that would happen just at that specific time. I believe the dawn mod actually involves some sort of... golden butterfly? I think? Stuff like that unique to a specific time of day would make the world feel more complete if you ask me. I really don't see how it's "pointless".

You make some good points on aesthetics, but what appeals to me is potential for enriching gameplay, like with the golden snitch... er, butterfly.  I like the dusk mechanic because stuff happens (or stops happening) then - rabbits run into their holes, green mushrooms appear, etc. 

If the dawn advocates could suggest more interesting things that could happen or unique opportunities for resources or activities that could be paired with dawn, then there might be more support for it.  For example, there is another discussion about making Merm-Pig interactions more realistic - with wars and peace envoys - but the proposed mechanics also enrich gameplay for players by giving more interesting things for us to do within the world. 

Indeed. It's what Neolithic man did after they tried headbutting the tree.

Was that before or after they tried punching it (hey, it works in Minecraft) ?

The dusk serves the purpose of warning you that the night is coming. I SUPOSE a smoother transition to day would not be COMPLETELY pointless... It's just really down on my list of things that should be added. But I understand your argument, and for managing to make your way back into the discusiion, you gain one imaginary point.

Treasure it well. They'll be usefull some day.

Haha I choked on my coffee when I saw your avatar, WTF is that? A platypus wearing a tam?

You know, I never really thought about adding a dawn to the game, but considering that there is a dusk, it would make sense to have a dawn. Also, it seems like Klei is going to be fleshing out the world a bit more with seasons such as fall and spring, so maybe the days as well? If nothing else, it'd be the perfect excuse to fit in a new mushroom type that would be active during the dawn.

You know, I never really thought about adding a dawn to the game, but considering that there is a dusk, it would make sense to have a dawn. Also, it seems like Klei is going to be fleshing out the world a bit more with seasons such as fall and spring, so maybe the days as well? If nothing else, it'd be the perfect excuse to fit in a new mushroom type that would be active during the dawn.

sounds like a lot of nothing and a little pretty for just another type of mushroom

Archived