Price "problem"

I wasn't too sure where to put this, so I decided to put this here.

I first saw the Yogscast play it and I decided to try it out for myself, after deciding that I liked it, I went away to buy it on Steam. I looked around first and found this:

The Don’t Starve Early-Access Beta is now available directly on Steam! For a limited time, you can get two copies of Don’t Starve at a special price of $11.99! Share the loneliness and send the other code to a friend!

Note the dollar sign

And on steam, I can pre-purchase it and send another copy to a friend, for £11.99. Note the pound sign. I'm guessing it is now slightly more expensive for people purchasing from the UK, as the XE currency converter says it should cost £7.45

I'm slightly put off buying it now, considering it costs more because I am from the UK.

Any help?

unless im mistaken, it might also be 11.99 euro as well.

there is an economic reason behind it, i think. im not sure how to explain it, but it might be because 1 euro to me is worth about same as 1 pound is worth to you (inside own country). so in a way, they just want us to pay 24 cheap chocolate bars.

It's $14.99 in the American Steam store with a 20% discount, making it $11.99 - while in the UK Steam store it's £11.99 with a 20% discount, making it £9.59.

Steam has never been "fair" in the conversion but it's not as bad as you're saying it is.

it's always been that way steam is weird when it comes to setting prices for other country's they can't comprehend the economic difference between country's I swear it's like steam is run by monkeys or something

Edited by yiffy

As far as I know, Steam allows the publisher (in this case, it's Klei since the game is indie/self-published) to chance regional prices, so if Klei sees the problem and acknowledges that it needs to change, they can do it.

I paid €11.99 and only discovered it cheaper afterwards. It's hardly groundbreaking for companies to charge different prices in different currencies. We're not talking loads of money here either are we? Tesco are infamous for charging more in their Irish stores than they are in their Northern Irish stores for the same products. That's tesco though.

there is an economic reason behind it, i think. im not sure how to explain it, but it might be because 1 euro to me is worth about same as 1 pound is worth to you (inside own country). so in a way, they just want us to pay 24 cheap chocolate bars.

That's with most of today's computer games. They don't set a price and just convert it 1:1 into other currencies, they rather check the economic situation in that country and adjust the price to that. Which is logic of course, because when i look at one of the countries next to mine, where food is down to half the prices of our country, i totally understand these adjustments.

[...] In Europe you just pay more for you games then in the US (and between the UK).

That's not true. I have seen games cost 40$ in the US, but only 25$ here in Austria. Then again, Austria is kinda special, we belong to the "rich" countries but at the same time we make our own ways.