coffee!

I was thinking and i think it would be amazing if you could grow coffee from a farm or birds drop it when you get the coffee beans you can cook it to make coffee! which gives 5 HP back and a 10 second speed boost ty for your time and i hope you like my idea8-)

i just got this from reading the coffee post and i suggest you go read it. there should be a drink meter aswell as a hunger and health one. you should be able to get water from the sea. sea water would be too salty so when you drink it you lose some thirst and gain some health. coffee is another but its already been mentioned. at the moment i can't think of anymore drinks but im sure other people can. just leave some drink ideas in the comments please. ;)

-T4Y13O

there should be a drink meter aswell as a hunger and health one.

Oh man... don't get me started about meters...!

Too late.

Right now we have two meters, Health and Hunger. Soon we'll have a third meter, Sanity. Now what you're suggesting is one of two other meters I've been interested in, namely a meter for Thirst. I've always supported adding one and I've liked the idea since I first saw it in the DS game, Lost in Blue (island survival game).

Of course I think there should be one final meter, namely Stamina. Why? Because you could deplete Stamina, rather than Hunger, when performing strenuous tasks (i.e. cutting down a tree) and it should restore gradually over time or faster when resting. Furthermore, when seasons are introduced we'll have winter, and we all know winter is cold. What better way to show the impact of the cold on our bodies than to have it deplete Stamina? And on the flip side, being near a warm fire would help restore Stamina and stop the detrimental effects of the cold.

But back to Thirst... yes, we'll need waterskins... and canteens... and bottles to carry our precious water in. And if they ever introduce a volcanic island or desert biome, well, it goes without saying that we'll need lots of water to survive.

you should be able to get water from the sea. sea water would be too salty so when you drink it you lose some thirst and gain some health.

True, which is why rather than drinking salty sea water you should instead be gathering water from ponds (only in swamps... currently) and maybe one day from wells (new invention?).

coffee is another but its already been mentioned. at the moment i can't think of anymore drinks but im sure other people can. just leave some drink ideas in the comments please. ;)

Well the game strikes me as very Victorian Era, which was known for the British Empire... which was famous for their love of tea. You might be thinking: "Mobius! You madman! Why in heavens would I ever want to drink a sissy tea?". Well tea was the height of civility, and we know that wearing civil garments, like the top hat and dapper vest will restore Sanity... so perhaps drinking a nice cup of (or cuppa) tea would help calm the nerves and also restore sanity.

Now how would this be accomplished? I suggest small tea bushes be added to the game and players could pick leaves from them, just like berries. Then have a new invention, the tea cup, and allow the player to combine the tea cup and tea leaves to create "cup of tea". If the player drinks the tea it restores some Thirst and Sanity and leaves you holding the tea cup in your cursor so it can be re-used.

Edited by mobius187

If there is coffee..it should increase action speed :)

i just got this from reading the coffee post and i suggest you go read it. there should be a drink meter aswell as a hunger and health one. you should be able to get water from the sea. sea water would be too salty so when you drink it you lose some thirst and gain some health. coffee is another but its already been mentioned. at the moment i can't think of anymore drinks but im sure other people can. just leave some drink ideas in the comments please. ;)

-T4Y13O

I don't fancy the idea of a drink meter as it does not add a new dynamic to the game as it just involves consuming another similar resource as food. who is to say food does not contain water?? It will become more of a chore than a "fun" :-|

Meters such as sanity meter adds new dynamics as events trigger while you are "insane". Being thirsty is just the same as being hungry. :D

Also..this game has more of a "tea" feel to it though.. haha..just my opinion though

Edited by Captain Potato

If there is coffee..it should increase action speed :)

Oddly enough, if they ever added a Stamina meter I would want to suggest that coffee restores stamina. :)

I don't fancy the idea of a drink meter as it does not add a new dynamic to the game as it just involves consuming another similar resource as food. who is to say food does not contain water?? It will become more of a chore than a "fun" :-|

Well I agree that too many meters won't make the game more fun. Part of the reason is, as you stated, some meters can perform double-duty. In the game "Lost in Blue" you had only 3 meters: Food, Water, and Stamina. In Don't Starve, Health stands in for Stamina and Hunger also stands in for Thirst. Sanity? It could be connected to Stamina... but it's still fairly unique in its own right.

Meters such as sanity meter adds new dynamics as events trigger while you are "insane". Being thirsty is just the same as being hungry.

Agreed. Sanity would create a different dynamic to the game. The question is, how will it work? All I've seen so far is mention that should your sanity lower too far then at night you'll suffer horrific delusions, and that these delusions can kill you. Also, that certain items will help restore sanity, like the dapper vest.

Also..this game has more of a "tea" feel to it though.. haha..just my opinion though

Yes, everyone loves a good cuppa. :)

Agreed. Sanity would create a different dynamic to the game. The question is, how will it work? All I've seen so far is mention that should your sanity lower too far then at night you'll suffer horrific delusions, and that these delusions can kill you. Also, that certain items will help restore sanity, like the dapper vest.

It is said that while insane, Mobs would react differently to you. Like nighttime.

Oddly enough, if they ever added a Stamina meter I would want to suggest that coffee restores stamina.

Coffee should give you a hyperactive effect for 1 min. When I say action speed I mean like when you are chopping wood for example, your character would move at a faster speed. You walk at a quicker pace. you pick stuff up faster. basically becoming hyperactive haha. That would be hilarious. As a side effect, it should make you hungry faster while in this mode. It also should be a 1 slot 1 item like meat stew. Perhaps you can make it from 4 roasted seeds.

Edited by Captain Potato

It is said that while insane, Mobs would react differently to you. Like nighttime.

Interesting... very interesting.

Coffee should give you a hyperactive effect for 1 min. When I say action speed I mean like when you are chopping wood for example, your character would move at a faster speed. You walk at a quicker pace. you pick stuff up faster. basically becoming hyperactive haha. That would be hilarious.

I almost want to say, rather than coffee it should be something akin to an expresso. And then have it as some crazy concoction like... "Jittery Bean Tonic". Hmmm. Something like that.

As a side effect, it should make you hungry faster while in this mode.

But doesn't it already do that after you smoke it...? Wait... we're talking about coffee! Silly me. :p

It also should be a 1 slot 1 item like meat stew. Perhaps you can make it from 4 roasted seeds.

Well right now all we can do is eat roasted seeds, so that would be another purpose for them. What about the cup? Or is it going to be like the pot that appears for meaty stew? Where does that pot come from? Where does it go? :D

Well right now all we can do is eat roasted seeds, so that would be another purpose for them. What about the cup? Or is it going to be like the pot that appears for meaty stew? Where does that pot come from? Where does it go?

HAHA!! there totally needs to be a new topic for this. Where does this mysterious pot come from? All hail the mysterious pot god that blesses us with pots!

all of these meters are great ideas but we are getting ridiculous here guys we dont need 5 meters to fill that would be no fun i agree there should be sanity hunger and health other than that no thanks i rather not gather 8 gallons of water that would be no fun

all of these meters are great ideas but we are getting ridiculous here guys we dont need 5 meters to fill that would be no fun i agree there should be sanity hunger and health other than that no thanks i rather not gather 8 gallons of water that would be no fun

Well yes, we wouldn't need all 5 "need" meters... or else the game will end up being closer to the Sims. Right now Hunger covers Thirst and Stamina, Health cover Stamina too, and Sanity... well it's being added. Personally I would almost prefer the Sanity meter to be hidden, so no one realizes how "crazy" they really are...

Personally I would almost prefer the Sanity meter to be hidden, so no one realizes how "crazy" they really are...

Which would drive the players completely mad...

...I like where this is going. But how could the game "teach" the new players that they have to take care of their sanity? Showing 2 meters an hiding 1 could be confusing. Fun, but confusing :)

...I like where this is going. But how could the game "teach" the new players that they have to take care of their sanity? Showing 2 meters an hiding 1 could be confusing. Fun, but confusing :)

That is tricky, as there isn't a tutorial. The game would need to be obvious about sanity loss in some way and/or play up the sanity restoring aspects of certain inventions. Another thought... maybe instead of a meter there could be a simple icon that, when clicked, informs the user of the "level of sanity": Sane => Shaken => Disturbed => Unhinged => Paranoid => Insane. Of course then the player would have some idea as to their general mental health, and that sanity IS important, but no exact idea of how bad off they are unless they checked the wiki/forums/ect.

And even then different events could cause different sanity loses, so who knows how quickly one might drop from "Disturbed" to "Insane".

That is tricky, as there isn't a tutorial. The game would need to be obvious about sanity loss in some way and/or play up the sanity restoring aspects of certain inventions. Another thought... maybe instead of a meter there could be a simple icon that, when clicked, informs the user of the "level of sanity": Sane => Shaken => Disturbed => Unhinged => Paranoid => Insane. Of course then the player would have some idea as to their general mental health, and that sanity IS important, but no exact idea of how bad off they are unless they checked the wiki/forums/ect.

And even then different events could cause different sanity loses, so who knows how quickly one might drop from "Disturbed" to "Insane".

I hope there would just be 3 sections in the bar. Dapper, normal , Insane

Perhaps you could implement a variety of randomized delusions and assign them to respective sanity levels,

Dapper- you see yourself as ruler of this world: Monsters will only attack you if provoked and flee at the sight of you, Cheery and bright graphics in the environment.

Normal- Same as the vanilla game

Insane- Trees began to noticeably sag, crows will began to replace the usual redbirds and hallucinations will happen frequently

Just my two cents :D

Different characters should have different things that raise and lower their sanity. For example, Willow's sanity raises if she sets more things on fire and decreases if she doesn't set enough things on fire each day. Just a thought.

Or... what if it's the opposite? What if Willow goes crazy if she DOESN'T set things on fire. ;)