Too Many Character Mods!

Neosaurus

The steam workshop is terrible. There is duplicate of many character mod.

Personnaly, I don't see the interest of most of the character mod in the steam workshop, because most of them are, like people said before, only new drawing with different stat. The interest between the different character of don't starve is the diversity of power, not just the stat.

I have the impression that there is more graphic artist here than coder. I presently work on a modifying version of wx. So yeah, I make a  robot. Thanks to TheDanaAddams tutorial, I'm improving the understanding of the code. My project will not have great graphics... in fact, I use the skin of wx. My goal is to developt the concept of upgrade introduce on wx.

I will not post my character before I have the feeling it's ready and the code can inspire other people. I think people must ask themself if their works can be useful or interesting for other.

I don't think new graphics is really interesting in gameplay point of view...

I think that doing a character mod to get in the whole programming thing is a good way to start out. After I finish my character, (personal use so you do not have to worry about seeing it) I have a few fun items I would like to try to get in like the shadow lantern idea I came up with a long time ago.

Character mods ARE a bit excessive,as I have a persistent phobia of being considered a cheater if I use the Coraline character, for example. Of course, they are also just pretty much "easy" to create mods. Instead of just changing the stats, they may as well just change "character mods" that add new characters to "skins" that change the look of existing ones. For example, willow with a **** skin and new lines/sounds would be badass/not ruin the game!

Characters are fairly easy to put in the game and people like playing characters that they want to play as. I don't see a problem here at all. There are absolutely not "too many" character mods. If you don't like a mod, all you have to do is ignore it.

I would even go as far as to say that, with the excellent tutorials available, making a character mod is a GREAT way to get into the mod community of Don't Starve by making an important contribution. Very few are going to come to these forums and immediately join up an impressive collaboration like Up and Away.

Please be very respectful when you try to discourage people from making mods. We all lose something for every bit that doesn't get made. Doesn't matter if it's a TUNING tweak or a new world.

Edit: @TheDanaAddams said it better above.

This is my situation exactly,

I got into modding to make my own personal character to play, which was a very fun process.

I have zero modding, lua, photo editing, or coding knowledge so it was very confusing at first but in the end it was very well worth it.

I wont be uploading it as it was created for my own enjoyment

(plus the art is taken/tweaked from random bits of other people's and in game character)

So i would agree that character mods is a good way to enter into modding,

and what Dana says earlier that it was created first and foremost for their personal usage, but decided to share it

Now i'm working on weapons and other things despite not knowing anything at all a few days back.

(Mostly thanks to reading other people's and in game items prefabs)

So i think we should encourage more people to post their mods,

Unique characters like Seras, Link and his bountiful of items helped me a lot in customizing mine,

Therefore i say we need more! (so i can keep learning... and tweaking)  :-)

Remember that we all need to start somewhere

And why be bothered by mods that you wont use?

You'll have a hard time staying happy with that frame of mind!

Hey guys, I was thinking lately, WHY IS THERE BILLIONS OF CHARA MODS! Sure, there easy from a coding standpoint but the art is hard, I really think the artists should join Up and Away or something to put there skills to good use. By the way, I'm not saying I hate custom characters, Wren the Stormcaller is original and Octodad is well, Octodad! I just feel there should a lot more mods that add items or biomes, or dimensions! Up and Away and my mod More Items! I feel accomplishes this. Thanks for your time.

Neo

The problem is that they're not unique and fun to play. Just a skin and a few different stats (which are all the same: faster, better if insane etc)

Yes but from a Modders point of View, Doing Characters is the best way to start off, and modding is hard, if you want these biomes so bad make them yourself, we can do whatever we want, and modding a character is by far the easiest, also modding hasnt got that much support yet, we cant just whip up a new boime

Yeah, good on artists for trying to put their characters in the game, but there's still the matter that they'll clogging the workshop with subpar character mods.

well, it's not really ''clogging'' anything since basically all of them are under 4 MB and you can use the filter to only view non character mods. as someone who made, what I consider to be, a pretty insignificant character that doesn't change gameplay much at all, I would really love to make it more unique but there aren't enough resources for someone with basically zero knowledge of lua to do that, and I don't want to make a thread begging people to do it for me. 

Yes but from a Modders point of View, Doing Characters is the best way to start off, and modding is hard, if you want these biomes so bad make them yourself, we can do whatever we want, and modding a character is by far the easiest, also modding hasnt got that much support yet, we cant just whip up a new boime

I already got that it's easy to start off with them. Doesn't change the fact that they're bad.

well, it's not really ''clogging'' anything since basically all of them are under 4 MB and you can use the filter to only view non character mods. as someone who made, what I consider to be, a pretty insignificant character that doesn't change gameplay much at all, I would really love to make it more unique but there aren't enough resources for someone with basically zero knowledge of lua to do that, and I don't want to make a thread begging people to do it for me.

I meant "clogged" as they are the majority of mods when you first go into the workshop. Wasn't aware of the filter though.

But still, the thing is the same. Justifying yourselves won't make those mods magically better. I'm sorry you view a request as "begging".

I already got that it's easy to start off with them. Doesn't change the fact that they're bad.

I meant "clogged" as they are the majority of mods when you first go into the workshop. Wasn't aware of the filter though.

But still, the thing is the same. Justifying yourselves won't make those mods magically better. I'm sorry you view a request as "begging".

And don't forget, first impressions last and this flood of copy/paste character mods with 3rd grade art is what you first see when you go to the workshop.  This isn't the fault of the guys who throw together these mods in 10 minutes, but the way the workshop is set up.  It brings the whole 'perceived' level of quality down for the whole community.

I think Klei has very little (if any) control over how the workshop works, so we may just be stuck with everything being tossed into the same pit and filter accordingly.

The default is "most popular this week". One should click on "top rated all time" for the "best" mods. I like that it defaults to most popular last week, because it means new mods have a much easier time becoming popular. Otherwise you get 5 mods with 30 000 downloads and 95 mods with 200 downloads.

I would consider it begging to make a request thread on a forum that already has an abundance of request threads, asking some stranger to code my entire mod for me. if not begging then perhaps unsavory behavior at the very least. whether the mods are completely bad is subjective for the most part. if someone makes a character mod that does nothing aside from making a reskinned wilson that looks like a zombie, that might might make the game more entertaining for someone who really likes zombies.

Archived