Certain Items, Why Do They Have Durability?

Ellthan

There some items that I understand why they have durability, like armors clothing tools, and common magic, but really, why put durability on something like the lazy forager? I mean, it's hard enough to craft to begin with and has only 20 uses which drain sanity, would it harm to give unimportant items like this infinite durability? You can't even use it for an efficient escape, since the sanity drain is too important to be ignored but has good utility now and then for skipping enemies without arggo.. It's not like it give a huge advantage like light, or like the deconstructed staff, and even if it HAS to have durability, why only 20 uses? Why not like 100? Or as I said, infinite?

Don't you think that if a player has manged to gather materials survived enough to find the ruins and the station and gather materials to craft it, he should have it forever? Or at least why not make staffs recharge on time?

(this is not a suggestion, it is a question)

There some items that I understand why they have durability, like armors clothing tools, and common magic, but really, why put durability on something like the lazy forager? I mean, it's hard enough to craft to begin with and has only 20 uses which drain sanity, would it harm to give unimportant items like this infinite durability? You can't even use it for an efficient escape, since the sanity drain is too important to be ignored but has good utility now and then for skipping enemies without arggo.. It's not like it give a huge advantage like light, or like the deconstructed staff, and even if it HAS to have durability, why only 20 uses? Why not like 100? Or as I said, infinite?

Don't you think that if a player has manged to gather materials survived enough to find the ruins and the station and gather materials to craft it, he should have it forever? Or at least why not make staffs recharge on time?

What?No.The lazy forager it's meant to be used to reach broken parts of the map/cave,those 20 uses are more than enough.

Making ALL staffs recharge over time will be very,very broken.

i think that it should stay the same, IF, they make thulecite and gems renewable, nothing common really, maybe some uncommon, renewable, dangerous enemy in the ruins that MAY drop thulecite shards and or gems.

or gems in ruins earthquakes that fall rarely.

What?No.The lazy forager it's not meant to be used to reach broken parts of the map/cave,those 20 uses are more than enough.

Making ALL staffs recharge over time will be very,very broken.

I didn't mean full refill in 5 secs and I didn't mean it for all of them, my only true problem is with this one, 5 days of recharging would be enough, but the question is, how would making the forgager have infinite durability broken?

I didn't mean full refill in 5 secs and I didn't mean it for all of them, my only true problem is with this one, 5 days of recharging would be enough, but the question is, how would making the forgager have infinite durability broken?

Ok,fixed the post.The point is that there's no real use for the lazy forager,besides reaching broken map's parts.The sanity drain is too high for the little distance you travel,if you want real cheap teleports use the telelocator staff.Those 20 uses are fine.

Ok,fixed the post.The point is that there's no real use for the lazy forager,besides reaching broken map's parts.The sanity drain is too high for the little distance you travel,if you want real cheap teleports use the telelocator staff.Those 20 uses are fine.

Exactly, instead of making the lazy forager a nearly useless gimmgic that you use very rarely, make it slowly recharge over time so as to be used like the cane: Not an extreme advantage but noticeable.

I would use the telelocator the game crashes whenever I use it, I think it can't render the world after the teleport or something.

The Lazy Forager has tons of uses that could be broken and the sanity drain isn't bad, it has to have durability.

I agree with the sentiment that it should somehow be renewable though. I think there should still be a way to regen the caves when the final game is released.

Perhaps having a way to blow up the old cave and have the cave resettle. Recipe is 10 snurtle slime, 10 gunpowder and a red gem to make a demolition charge that can reset a cave. It could be dropped in the hole or to make it more difficult make it so the player has to drop it at a certain point in the ruins, like where the guardian fight happens, when the bomb goes off the player has to escape the cave with all it's monsters.nightmares scrambling about and the cave and constant earthquakes dropping rocks until the player returns to the surface.

20th century razor made of flint and sticks. Unbreakable.

Cutting edge technology Gillette razor. Mostly a month.

Mods ahoy

Well actually I am using mods, no sanity drain and infinite staffs, more fun than I ever had, I surrouned my fortress with basalt with no entrance and spawned 563 hounds outsite.

20th century razor made of flint and sticks. Unbreakable.

Cutting edge technology Gillette razor. Mostly a month.

Mods ahoy

Well actually I am using mods, no sanity drain and infinite staffs, more fun than I ever had, I surrouned my fortress with basalt with no entrance and spawned 563 hounds outsite.

It's just that I feel like the staff should have sanity but no durability, it would make players use it more commonly, give them an idea of progress, I mean, every item spoils exept the cane, if you spent rare and hard to get minerals to get an infinite utility it would make you feel like you have made some progress.

i think that it should stay the same, IF, they make thulecite and gems renewable, nothing common really, maybe some uncommon, renewable, dangerous enemy in the ruins that MAY drop thulecite shards and or gems.

or gems in ruins earthquakes that fall rarely.

I had an idea that non-hostile mobs could have a 2% chance to drop 1-3 thule fragments, and hostile mobs would have a 3% chance to drop 2-4 fragments. Keeps them rare enough, but also fairly renewable without flooding the game with thule.

To be honest, there's plenty of thulecite to last you for a long time in the ruins. Especially now that they added the fragments, i could get over 100 pieces in a single ruin. Pair that with the green amulet and you'll get a lot of thulecite suits from the ruins.

The problem is that there a lot of people that don't want to use items with finite resources. I remember the pain when i had to use a hammer before the caves update.

Im one of those people, its just how i am tbh. I feel that in a game of farming, having non renewable resources is a bit cheap. I was VERY wary about using rocks pre-caves :p

And yes, i CAN regen the caves and stuf, but i would rather not as this isnt going to be a permenant feature :p

At least with my proposed drop rates and whatnot they will still stay moderately rare while still being renewable. Its not a BAD idea, and its by no means a perfect idea, but its an idea that i think is perfectly balanced and wouldnt break the game. I could have went full retard and suggested it be mineable from rocks and whatnot, but wheres the fun?

Keep in mind ive NEVER visited the caves, nor the ruins so i dont actually know how powerful the thulecite stuff are (outside of reading the good ol' wiki) so for all i know my idea MAY be imbalanced, but i wouldnt think so. In my mind, to make end game/pwoerful items, the resource needs to be rare, hard to find, hard to get but renewable.

It's pretty cool!

That aside yes i'm leaning towards it being renewable in a hard and random way. Like Marble is now. It is renewable but it's rare as hell.

I  don't think it will affect balance as people will never use more thulecite than they would get previously, just makes them feel better about getting hit by a bee while wearing Thulecite armor.

Yeah, i knew that pre-caves there was more rock than i would be able to use, if i didnt spam stone walls, but i still didnt feel comfortable using it :)

Also, just to enlighten me, how many thule fragments are needed to refine 1 "bar" of thulecite?

I think it would be fun making the terrobeaks and whatnot have a fragment drop chance, risk and reward :)

Archived