[Bugs] Moth Lamp

simplex

So, I got about 4 problems so far:

The generation screen background is black

Auto-saving just crashes my game

With RoG, the lightning goes to my character instead of the trees (I may just be unlucky)

And the shopkeeper bugs out where he won't tell you how to get the seed if you click "talk to" before he explains it.

So, I got about 4 problems so far:

With RoG, the lightning goes to my character instead of the trees (I may just be unlucky)

And the shopkeeper bugs out where he won't tell you how to get the seed if you click "talk to" before he explains it.

Wait, you have the worldgen background issue as well? This is strange, simplex and I haven't experienced that, but others have. Are you also experiencing transparent white boxes around a few objects?

Auto-save crash? That's weird; I use the mod testing toolbox to save, and it doesn't crash on save. Is it only auto-save that it crashes on?

Lightning issue is odd. Did they change the way lightning works, and do I just misunderstand it?

The shopkeeper issue should be easy to fix, I think. We could just make him unclickable until he finishes his speech.

Okay, so a few questions (also for others who have been experiencing the various issues):

What OS?

Standalone or Steam?

RoG or no RoG? (You mentioned you had RoG, but these questions are for everybody.)

Wait, you have the worldgen background issue as well? This is strange, simplex and I haven't experienced that, but others have. Are you also experiencing transparent white boxes around a few objects?

Yeah, it's weird.

Auto-save crash? That's weird; I use the mod testing toolbox to save, and it doesn't crash on save. Is it only auto-save that it crashes on?

Only the auto-save crashes.

Lightning issue is odd. Did they change the way lightning works, and do I just misunderstand it?

Because now character's attract lightning in RoG, and get hit fr damage by it.

The shopkeeper issue should be easy to fix, I think. We could just make him unclickable until he finishes his speech.

I thought it would be an easy fix.

OS - Windows 7

Playing via - Steam

RoG - Yes

Aren't you and simplex on a version of Linux? I seem to recall reading some stuff about Linux OS' and Macs in the Code thread.

Yes, we're both on Linux. Although the worldgen bug doesn't happen on my Mac, either.

@simplex

I've been trying to get the shopkeeper to be uninterruptible, but apparently he doesn't want to cooperate. Even setting disableplayer or skippable in the speech to true does nothing. I'm confused. Changing the activatable.onactivate callback while he's giving the first speech doesn't seem to do anything either (probably because it's currently running through the onactivate function).

I think it's an issue within the maxwelltalker component, but I'm not totally sure.

Did you have these issues on the git version or the zip debugman uploaded? And does the auto-save crash happen only when you're in the cloud realm or anywhere, as long as U&A is enabled?

Well, we haven't changed anything about lightning, so... I don't see how U&A could be affecting this. But I'll try to replicate it.

Could be a bug with Windows then? I don't have a Mac, or a PC that currently runs Linux, so I can't really test that. Is there anyone here who could?

I have a Windows VM setup. I'll see if it can run DS (it usually can't run games, since the emulated graphic capabilities are very poor).

@simplex

I've been trying to get the shopkeeper to be uninterruptible, but apparently he doesn't want to cooperate. Even setting disableplayer or skippable in the speech to true does nothing. I'm confused. Changing the activatable.onactivate callback while he's giving the first speech doesn't seem to do anything either (probably because it's currently running through the onactivate function).

I think it's an issue within the maxwelltalker component, but I'm not totally sure.

I'll toy with it. Probably implement a custom component instead of maxwelltalker.

Did you have these issues on the git version or the zip debugman uploaded? And does the auto-save crash happen only when you're in the cloud realm or anywhere, as long as U&A is enabled?

Well, we haven't changed anything about lightning, so... I don't see how U&A could be affecting this. But I'll try to replicate it.

Anywhere, as long as U&A is enabled.

I know, just saying the lightning trees aren't really the ones actually being struck by their lightning.

For the lightning, Mr. Tiddles was correct. RoG makes lightning target the player. I just changed it from DoLightningStrike to DoMediumLightning for now.

For the lightning, Mr. Tiddles was correct. RoG makes lightning target the player. I just changed it from DoLightningStrike to DoMediumLightning for now.

If you want lightning at a specific position, just spawn the "lightning" entity and put it there. It plays the thunder sound and everything (the lightning effect functions are just implemented by calculating a position and then spawning the entity there, and then triggering secondary effects such as fire).

If you want lightning at a specific position, just spawn the "lightning" entity and put it there. It plays the thunder sound and everything (the lightning effect functions are just implemented by calculating a position and then spawning the entity there, and then triggering secondary effects such as fire).

Oh, I probably should've noticed that while reading the seasonmanager component.

I encountered a crash where enabling the mod causes a sort of "silent crash" where you click anything and there's no music.

Log: http://pastebin.com/ha98ky9D

Does this happen with mods other than U&A disabled? The mod worked for me as of the latest commit...

Also, as I asked the others:

What operating system?

Steam or Standalone?

RoG or no RoG?

there's nothing about saving that's not starting up main menu or :

scripts/components/resurrector.lua(42,1) Resurrector:OnSave 114662 - crystal_relic used:nil active:nil scripts/saveindex.lua(349,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/saveindex.lua(365,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/components/resurrector.lua(42,1) Resurrector:OnSave 114663 - crystal_relic used:nil active:nil scripts/saveindex.lua(349,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/saveindex.lua(365,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/components/resurrector.lua(42,1) Resurrector:OnSave 114664 - crystal_relic used:nil active:nil scripts/saveindex.lua(349,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/saveindex.lua(365,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/components/resurrector.lua(42,1) Resurrector:OnSave 114665 - crystal_relic used:nil active:nil scripts/saveindex.lua(349,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/saveindex.lua(365,1) DeregisterResurrector 

. The only errors are missing images and 

Could not find anim [f9] in bank [datura]Could not find anim [f10] in bank [datura]

repeated about a thousand times.

The save crash also only happens if I happen to be moving or doing anything that's not standing still.

Also, it doesn't actually shut down or anything, it just freezes - so I have to click close. I thought it was just taking it's time, so I left it open to see if it would finish after a while. After watchign an 18 minute video, it was still frozen.

there's nothing about saving that's not starting up main menu or :

scripts/components/resurrector.lua(42,1) Resurrector:OnSave 114662 - crystal_relic used:nil active:nil scripts/saveindex.lua(349,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/saveindex.lua(365,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/components/resurrector.lua(42,1) Resurrector:OnSave 114663 - crystal_relic used:nil active:nil scripts/saveindex.lua(349,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/saveindex.lua(365,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/components/resurrector.lua(42,1) Resurrector:OnSave 114664 - crystal_relic used:nil active:nil scripts/saveindex.lua(349,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/saveindex.lua(365,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/components/resurrector.lua(42,1) Resurrector:OnSave 114665 - crystal_relic used:nil active:nil scripts/saveindex.lua(349,1) DeregisterResurrector scripts/saveindex.lua(365,1) DeregisterResurrector 
. The only errors are missing images and 

Could not find anim [f9] in bank [datura]Could not find anim [f10] in bank [datura]
repeated about a thousand times.

The save crash also only happens if I happen to be moving or doing anything that's not standing still.

Also, it doesn't actually shut down or anything, it just freezes - so I have to click close. I thought it was just taking it's time, so I left it open to see if it would finish after a while. After watchign an 18 minute video, it was still frozen.

I appreciate the info. But could you please post the whole log from now on?

I appreciate the info. But could you please post the whole log from now on?

Sorry, I had to go out and it wasn't letting me do it at the time for some reason. I'll post a clean log soon as I reproduce the problem.

EDIT: And as soon as I actually want it to crash, it works. My computer must hate me.

@debugman18 and other folk

I put in a bunch of bug fixes.

• Entities with the staticchargeable component no longer crash the game outside the cloud realm
  • Vines (and likely the worldgen screen anim as well) no longer have white boxes around them.
  • Fixed the "Couldn't find anim [f9]/[f10] in bank [datura]" error. This wasn't an actual issue, it simply happened because when we switch banks the game tries to use the current animation on it (but we give it the right animation immediately after, so this "fix" was only done to keep the log tidier).
  • Fixed the inventory image errors. Again, this was just to keep the log tidier, since we don't have inventory images for everything yet. This was done (via patches/nil_inventoryimage.lua) by giving all our prefabs without an inventory image the "nil" inventory image which was being used by the kettle and Winnie's staff.
I was partially correct with my initial assumption about the cause of the white box around vines issue. It was indeed related to resizing, but at a more basic level: during mipmap generation. ktech uses the Lanczos algorithm for resizing by default, which is the best general purpose algorithm for downscaling images. It can, however, introduce artifacts in some cases, and this is exactly what happened here. The fix was to use the bicubic filter for vines:

$ ktech -f bicubic atlas-0.png
And Mr. Tiddles, I am not managing to replicate your auto save freeze. I set the game (via console) to autosave every 3 seconds

GetPlayer():DoPeriodicTask(3, function(inst) inst.components.autosaver:DoSave() end)

and kept running around, collectings twigs/grass/etc., attacking enemies, and everything else I could think of, but no freeze happened. There was a slight, short hiccup on save, as usual, but that was it.

EDIT:

One general remark about resizing: when something needs to be greatly resized (as is the case in the tentacle animations and in inventory images) it is best to use the bicubic filter instead. The Lanczos algorithm keeps the image sharper, but when downscaling too much it introduces stray pixels around it which give this unpleasant look.

@debugman18 and other folk

I put in a bunch of bug fixes.

• Entities with the staticchargeable component no longer crash the game outside the cloud realm
  • Vines (and likely the worldgen screen anim as well) no longer have white boxes around them.
  • Fixed the "Couldn't find anim [f9]/[f10] in bank [datura]" error. This wasn't an actual issue, it simply happened because when we switch banks the game tries to use the current animation on it (but we give it the right animation immediately after, so this "fix" was only done to keep the log tidier).
  • Fixed the inventory image errors. Again, this was just to keep the log tidier, since we don't have inventory images for everything yet. This was done (via patches/nil_inventoryimage.lua) by giving all our prefabs without an inventory image the "nil" inventory image which was being used by the kettle and Winnie's staff.
I was partially correct with my initial assumption about the cause of the white box around vines issue. It was indeed related to resizing, but at a more basic level: during mipmap generation. ktech uses the Lanczos algorithm for resizing by default, which is the best general purpose algorithm for downscaling images. It can, however, introduce artifacts in some cases, and this is exactly what happened here. The fix was to use the bicubic filter for vines:

$ ktech -f bicubic atlas-0.png
And Mr. Tiddles, I am not managing to replicate your auto save freeze. I set the game (via console) to autosave every 3 seconds

GetPlayer():DoPeriodicTask(3, function(inst) inst.components.autosaver:DoSave() end)

and kept running around, collectings twigs/grass/etc., attacking enemies, and everything else I could think of, but no freeze happened. There was a slight, short hiccup on save, as usual, but that was it.

EDIT:

One general remark about resizing: when something needs to be greatly resized (as is the case in the tentacle animations and in inventory images) it is best to use the bicubic filter instead. The Lanczos algorithm keeps the image sharper, but when downscaling too much it introduces stray pixels around it which give this unpleasant look.

Also on Windows (haven't tested on Linux yet) I found a way to recreate the autosave freeze:

Stand in a field of gustflowers, tell the world to charge, let it autosave. Near-instant freeze while saving.

Log if it's helpful, but it doesn't say much of anything: http://pastebin.com/3cgEp17M

Also on Windows (haven't tested on Linux yet) I found a way to recreate the autosave freeze:

Stand in a field of gustflowers, tell the world to charge, let it autosave. Near-instant freeze while saving.

Log if it's helpful, but it doesn't say much of anything: http://pastebin.com/3cgEp17M

The log would indicate it's likely connected to the entityflinger component saving mechanism. Mr. Tiddles, did you also have the issue when close to gustflowers?

@simplex

So the problem with the worldgen background is in some way related to changing the texture to our own. I temporarily "fixed" it by commenting out the line which loads our texture. I'm still looking into it.

(I also misplaced the bgtest lines in the latest commit, they should go after the texture is set, but I was testing and didn't want to push, so I simply changed it through github's edit utility.)

../mods/UpAndAway/code/main.lua(234,1) Image - images/ui.xml:bg_plain.tex    ../mods/UpAndAway/code/main.lua(235,1) PRE    ../mods/UpAndAway/code/main.lua(240,1) Image - ../mods/UpAndAway/images/bg_up.xml:bg_plain.tex    ../mods/UpAndAway/code/main.lua(241,1) POST  

Do you think it has something to do with the file location, due to Windows being picky?

Archived