no walls anymore, what do you do now to secure your camp?

Bogpad

with the new hotfix, treewalls and chestwalls are a thing of the past. so what do you do now to have a houndproof camp?

first thought would be pigs, and kevin mentioned them as first wall of defense too, but since we are also not able to protect ourself from werepigs anymore, having pighouses in your camp might get you killed without the help of any hounds. So I am wondering, did any geniusses out there with more time to play at hand than me already think of a new way to defend yourself without running the risk of getting eaten by werepigs and hounds alike?

or are we now at the point where our only defense is indeed our trusty logsuit, football helmet, and spear?

On my main game my walls are already placed so they aren't hot fixed yet! (Muahaha). But starting over again i just use my weapons really. I personally think the walls i built ended up overrated and kind of useless. Dogs are easy enough at the moment if you can kite their 2 bite stop methods.

Just drop some meat on the ground and the hounds focus on that. Easy to then run up and attack them. Plus with each one you kill they drop meat so the other hounds focus on eating that and you can attack again. I killed a pack of 5 with out even getting hit once.

Seems pretty easy really, you shouldn't need any sort of walls.

Also it is safer to fight them outside your base in case one of them is a fire hound. Don't want everything going up in flames.

or are we now at the point where our only defense is indeed our trusty logsuit, football helmet, and spear?

This. I never built any walls in my camp, either before or after this update and hotfix. I actually created a new Firepit away from all my valuables and plants because I was afraid of what a Fire Hound would do to my camp if I tried to fight one in the center of it.

All you really need is a piece of armor (either the Log Suit or a Football Helmet) and a Spear (or a Tentacle Spike, if you have any). The hounds come one a time, or maybe as a pair if you're unlucky - and once you get the hang of "wait for one to bite, take 2 steps, spam click to win", you can pick them off as they come and never get gang-bitten to death.

It might not be a bad idea to practice this technique of "sidestep attack, attack yourself" on Spiders or an Optimus Pine or lone Piggies or (if you're feeling brave) Tentacles until you feel comfortable with it... it will help you fight everything, not just Hounds.