Abigail Suggestion

When I first unlocked Wendy and read "Has visitors at night." I thought nights would be more difficult for Wendy and when I first saw Abigail she killed me. Took me a few playthroughs to figure out her basic mechanics and eventually got used to her. I was thinking about how to make this more interesting and thought I'd suggest adding an item only Wendy can use, or a mechanic in the game involving Wendy, which would change an initially hostile Abigail to a passive and allied ghost when equipped. Without the item Abigail would try to kill you.

It would be a nice way to implement some more organic difficulty to the game and make Wendy a more dangerous character to play as but also retaining her unique character perks for the more diligent players.

Abigail has been brought up in several suggestions before on how to imrpove Wendy's ghostly twin sister, and I for one would like it if the very first change was making ti that Abigail didn't appear where Wendy was standing (if standing still at sunset).

One suggestion I made was actually in a thread about the graveyard items, as while the amulet has a purpose nothing else dug-up from the graves does. And once research points are eliminated in January, well, they'll be even less useful. With that in mind I couldn't help but notice that many of the items dug-up from the graves were in fact toys. A ball & cup, toy robot, toy rocket, melted marbles... so I thought it would be interesting if you could give the toys to Abigail to gain a temporary benefit from her. For example, if you gave her the lying robot, maybe she would talk to you... telling you secrets about the game hidden in lies (i.e. A new friend lurks below the swamp's muck..." or "Pig men always throw parties during the full moon").

Another suggestion was similar to yours. I suggested that Wendy start the game with a burial urn in her inventory, and inside the urn were Abigail's ashes. From there if you place the burial urn on the ground then any night Abigail appears she patrols an area around the urn. If Wendy carries it then Abigail follows her like always.

Lastly, another user suggested there being more than one ghost, suggesting Wendy's mother, father, and so on were also spirits that haunted her and each had its own supernatural powers. I suggested at the time that each have thri own burial urn hidden in a grave that Wendy had to dig up, but that she could only switch the ashes between the urn in her possession and those at the grave (to prevent Wendu from having more than one ghost at any one time).

@mobius187

In reply to the multiple ghosts, father, mother etc. How would that impact the storyline? If they do eventually expand the story how would you explain Wendy's father's and mother's ashes appearing in some random grave, on an island they may never have been to?

EDIT: Sorry if it seems picky but I find the storyline as absorbing as the game ;)

Abigail is quite annoying when she pops out of nowhere and hurts you. I was thinking that there should be more of an animation when she appears; a second or three of swirlies under your feet. An attentive player would be able to dodge that, and it would penalize players like me for trying to watch youtube or read a book while letting the game go in the background... (That is what I mostly do after setting up the campfire, if hunger is full and all ^_^; )

I'd like it if (since both have a flower on their head), the flower were an item that started out equipped in your hat slot. If you took the flower off, Abigail would be hostile to you, but with it on, she would do no damage to you, even when in the same space as her.

I like some of the more complicated ideas, but they are just that, complicated. I think a small change to start out with would be best. What do you guys think?

@mobius187

In reply to the multiple ghosts, father, mother etc. How would that impact the storyline? If they do eventually expand the story how would you explain Wendy's father's and mother's ashes appearing in some random grave, on an island they may never have been to?

I was thinking that we know so very little about Wendy's backstory that it gives us license to make such circumstances appear credible. What if Wendy's family was cursed? And one by one each disappeared... to who knows where... until only Wendy and Abigail remained in their manor house. Then something... happened, and Abigail died. Wendy was all alone, the last member of her family now when Maxwell finally appeared for her. "You're the last one child. I've buried all the rest. Now we shall she what you are made of..."

A curse would also help explain why Abigail is haunting Wendy.

EDIT: Sorry if it seems picky but I find the storyline as absorbing as the game ;)

No worries. I personally don't need Klei to ever provide too many details. It's like... have you ever seen Jeepers Creepers? I was creeped out by everything in that movie, wondering about the monster... and then they ruined it by actually showing him to me. Then I was like... "Is that it?". Simply, nothing could compare to the "idea" of the monster I had imagined. I think the plot for Don't Starve is the same. While there are few details it leaves a lot of questions and in the end we each fill the gaps in the best way we know... the key words being "the best".

In short, I like the plot for Don't Starve and I wouldn't presume to add to it, but rather leave more questions to the player.

Abigail is quite annoying when she pops out of nowhere and hurts you. I was thinking that there should be more of an animation when she appears; a second or three of swirlies under your feet. An attentive player would be able to dodge that, and it would penalize players like me for trying to watch youtube or read a book while letting the game go in the background... (That is what I mostly do after setting up the campfire, if hunger is full and all ^_^; )

My question is, why can't Abigail spawn more to the side? But yes, an pre-appearance event would help warm players of her appearance.

I'd like it if (since both have a flower on their head), the flower were an item that started out equipped in your hat slot. If you took the flower off, Abigail would be hostile to you, but with it on, she would do no damage to you, even when in the same space as her.

Mmmm... I like my head slot. I have the feathered hat and football helmet, one of the other, on at all times. I think it would jus be a chore to remember to switch the flower in prior to sunset on the off chance Abigail might appear and attack you if you didn't have it. It's an interesting idea, but a bit too... troublesome.

Well since maxwell the demon threw these people into a world unknown, technically it could be a world of their own versions purgatory.

Wendy's world is spiritual.

Wilson's world is technical.

Wendy's world is naturalism.

Wolfgang's world is physicality.

Wolfgang's world is physicality.

Hmmm. No Willow? Wait... I like this. Yes... let me revise your list further:

Wendy's world is physicality.

The game needs to be all about Wendy. That's right Wilson... you're next. :)

you noticed that when abigail passes over the rabbit hole, the rabbit dies instantly? I took a lot of meat!

Yes. I once used Abigail while letting an enraged treeguard chase me... easy kill.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Abigail is related to the sanity stat we don't have yet. I'm betting she's a version of Wilson the ball.

Nice suggestion. My concern is does Abigail help or hinder sanity? I mean "Wilson the Volleyball" was an inanimate object, while Abigail is a ghost. I don't know if having your dead sister hovering around you at night, occasionally hurting you, is such a great thing for the mind. Of course if Abigail does hinder Wendy's sanity then they had better improve her as a perk, because right now having Abigail around is only "so-so" in terms of usefulness. I would be happier is she actually helped defend you. That, especially during the night, would actually be useful.

I'm curious. I was told that Mandrake, at night, will actually put a hostile ghost (from a grave) back to sleep by singing to it. I wonder, what effect would this have on Abigail? Do they interact with her in any way? Or does she kill them?