Hounds spawning at the night to day transition only?

I literally just started this game this morning and my only prior experience had been watching LP's from before this patch. I made it to day 4 and was mauled while researching stuff right at the transition of the morning. I had no idea what got me. Now I know. I'm on day 6 of my second run and hounds showed up again as Soon as it turned to day. Is this a bug? Or are they only supposed to spawn at the save transition of the morning?

Also, let me state it's fairly difficult to start as a new player when something is guaranteed to come after you so early in the game, no matter how far you are from monsters. I don't even have armor or the spear yet. <_<

Day-night transitions seem to be their most common spawn time, but I've had them spawn at completely random times as well.

If the hounds are spawning as early as day 4, I agree that's too early and it should probably be adjusted to no earlier than something like day 10 or so.

nah i think ur luck is just bad, they really don't have a time for attaking you. i"ve been attack durring the day and through out the day, some ppl say that u can hear their voice before they attack you.....u can also attack it with axe, it will just take a lot of hits >.< but really it's random time for them to attack you

Day-night transitions seem to be their most common spawn time, but I've had them spawn at completely random times as well.

If the hounds are spawning as early as day 4, I agree that's too early and it should probably be adjusted to no earlier than something like day 10 or so.

The ones that killed me the first time were red, so I'm assuming they were the fire ones too. DX

hell hound lol, when they die, they turn to flame so be very careful where u kill them....might set ur base on fire!the safest thing to do if u just start is to find beefalo and stay by them and when the hound attack u, kite them around near the beefalo and it will eventually attack the beefalo instead of u....and well, beefalo will take care of it for u XD

the safest thing to do if u just start is to find beefalo and stay by them and when the hound attack u, kite them around near the beefalo and it will eventually attack the beefalo instead of u....and well, beefalo will take care of it for u XD

Aw man, I wish I'd read this post before I played today... just got killed by hounds within the first week twice in a row! :mad: And I was living near beefalo as well! haha

But I agree that maybe no hounds 'till like 10 days would be good, or at least not day 4 like the first of my two deaths today...

In my last world I've encountered hounds at day 1, thankfully a group of beefalos attacked them saving me from a shameful first-day-death.

At the moment these doggies appear nearly daily, when I'm playing. I don't know why, maybe luck or bad luck but I don't really care. It only takes two hits to kill them, I only have to watch out, that the hellhound doesn't decide to set everything on fire.

ur luck can't be worst than mine lol, i spend half the day running and kiting hell and normal hound and only on day 16, i can't imagine what my day would be like at 100 lol...if i ever make it there hahaha

I got the log suit and spear, so hounds be damned. I caught a couple molesting my rabbit fields. I literally have like 40 or so rabbit holes around my camp, accompanied by enough grass to fuel a trap farm. But I'll be damned if dogs eat even one of my morsels! D:<

My first attack was around the 6th night, and about once a week from thereon. Just forces you to keep a log suit on you in case of a wolf attack, but if you have a log suit and a spear it's not a big problem. The biggest threat normal hounds pose once you have proper fighting gear is if you don't get a fire ready for the night in time to fight them.

If something is attacking you, what is the first instinct? Fight? Run!

If it is night, the hounds will quickly fall asleep, if it is morning after they have fallen asleep or day, you can lead them to their death at a spider nest, beefalow herd, bee hive, tallbird nests (2-3), or pig village so easily it's ridiculous. I realize this may not be obvious to new players, but if your first instinct is to fight unarmored and unequipped... I'll let you finish that thought on your own. :D

Edit: Fixed a typo.

My first attack was around the 6th night, and about once a week from thereon. Just forces you to keep a log suit on you in case of a wolf attack, but if you have a log suit and a spear it's not a big problem. The biggest threat normal hounds pose once you have proper fighting gear is if you don't get a fire ready for the night in time to fight them.

My first instinct wasn't fighting or running. There were 3 of them, and they were on top of me before I was out of my science machine research menu. I was dead before I could run. I had no way of knowing they were in the game because none of the LP's I watched were on the current patch, and I couldn't find release info anywhere (didn't know the patch notes and whatnot fell under general discussion here). I mean, thinking about dying to them now is pretty laughable as they're attacks are easily predicted, and they're distracted often by just about anything. I saw one attacking a sapling earlier. But to someone literally on their first life who didn't know that they existed, then fight or flight may not even be an option.

Yeah Me to friend. i hate hearing that roar at night and rushing to get prepared for a fight. I remember a time when my spike tentacle broke and i was like dam it hit the dog. Luckily i noticed and switched to axe.

At the moment these doggies appear nearly daily, when I'm playing. I don't know why, maybe luck or bad luck but I don't really care. It only takes two hits to kill them, I only have to watch out, that the hellhound doesn't decide to set everything on fire.

I was carrying some meat I cooked in my crock pot and they seemed to be tracking me down repeatedly until I ate it