Show Me This Life (Alt. Timeline, Huge Spoilers In Early Chapters)

Ya know, I'm starting to regret the name of this fic now...I let a song I've been listening to influence fic naming, and now I don't think it fits. And now, here be an overdue chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Show Me This Life

Chapter 13: Uncertain Amulet

Wilson woke with a sudden start from the bed when he heard an all-too-familiar sound echoing from within the cavern, a boom that had resulted in Charlie being flat on her back dangerously-close to the light of the sun at the entrance and the black smoke that hid the source at the opposite end. A look of confusion emerged on his face as he recalled the fact that the trio had to flee from here.

"Ay, yah, carasa, that hurt," Charlie managed to say before rolling over onto her stomach and picking herself up, which prompted an eyebrow raise at the strange phrase. He was pretty sure one of the words was made-up as well.

"Are you alright," he asked as he stood up, stretching his arms out a bit before walking up toward her. Charlie had immediately about-faced toward him and winced.

"I really hoped you weren't gonna wake just yet," she shyly spoke before rushing past him and back into the fading smoke. Once the cloud cleared, a worktable of sorts was revealed with all sorts of liquids, gems and baubles. In the center was a golden necklace embedded with five gems, two small red gems, two small blue gem and one large purple gem in the very-center. "Yes, they didn't break this time." She carefully picked up the simple-looking necklace and walked up to him, putting it around his neck with swift movement. "And it even fits perfectly, good."

"Charlie, what's this necklace for?" Wilson asked in confusion. "And why are we back here? I thought we were fleeing from here." Charlie lowered her glasses just enough to look over them with a disbelieving look.

"So...you don't remember what all happened last night nor realize the fact that you now have wings," she said with a flat tone before pushing them back up. Wilson almost snapped his own neck with how fast he turned his head to look behind himself. She was right, attached to his own back seemed to be rather-large wings, large enough to accomidate his normal weight in flight possibly. "Those were left behind after you went nuts and slashed out Maxie after turning into a Greater Hallucination yourself." Wilson slowly turned back toward her, this time with slightly less shock than normal. After a while, your ability to be surprised by the wierd tends to slowly go down the drain. "The necklace is hopefully going to keep that transformation from happening again or at least allow you to keep in control if it happens anyway." It was at this moment that Miero had emerged from outside, panting heavy from exhaustion.

"Finished...with...the..." The big Hound just plopped in front of the unlit fire pit before he could finish its statement, the snoring it produced being evidence of an immediate passout.

"Oh, yes, that's right. Starting tonight, you're going to learn how to use those wings to fly." As she turned away for the moment to tend to the apparent pet, Wilson shook his head in attempt to calm down. So many questions he wanted answers to and whenever he thought to try to get answers, something always seems to happen. Hopefully, he'll get some answers when in the sky...

Edited by Tesability

Show Me This Life

Chapter 14: A Brief Q&A

Dusk was fading into night, and the first winter snow was starting to fall. The chill in the air outside alone was enough to make Charlie appear to change her mind about the aerial training session. In fact, even near the fire and with a new, much-thicker winter coat, she was shivering a lot. The stone chair she sat in was moved as close to the fire pit as she could get it and she still didn't look warm. Now would be a good chance to ask her a lot of the questions that had been on his mind for a fair bit now, but he didn't know where to start. Looking down toward the amulet around his neck reminded him about one question that almost was buried.

"How exactly did you manage to make Willow and Wolfgang disappear before," Wilson asked of the shivering girl as he sat in one of the chairs himself, wrapping his wings around him for a little extra warmth.

"The gems here have a unique property, they can seem to harness the ambient magic in this world and focus it for various purposes. They aren't limited to being for things like Fire and Ice Staves in use. However, they are still not strong enough to release from here someone that's been summoned to this world."

"Like us," he added, which simply got a nod from Charlie.

"Yeah...only the Nightmare Throne has the power to release a bound soul, and even it cannot release someone that's already become a monster." She shivered violently and looked toward the bed. "Could you grab the blanket for me?" Wilson smirked at the girl before getting up and fetching the red blanket, wrapping it around her without catching it on fire.

"Nightmare Throne? What exactly is that?" For a few seconds, she didn't seem to move, even to shiver.

"A very nasty piece of work created by the true masters of this world. While it does grant the power to manipulate this world at will, even creating new additions and taking them away, it comes at a cost. It binding you in place is only the beginning." She managed to lift her head, looking toward the ceiling as if she could look through it toward the sky.

"One of the vines it creates, it litterally burrows into the back of your neck, connecting itself to your mind. Any and all repressed and lost memories come right back up to the surface, forcing you to relive them as the Throne feeds of the burst of emotion that comes with it. I've had memories restored by that thing a few times already." Sitting back down in one of the chairs around the roaring pit and with his head bent foward a bit, Wilson's mind got to thinking as usual. Flashing through his head were images of possible scenarios as well as flashbacks of the one time he had been near that thing. It was a minor miracle he didn't go instantly insane around it.

"Then it might be the only way I can remember how the portal is made." Charlie immediately stood up after such a statement.

"Are you out of your mind again?!" Charlie was effectively screaming at this point. "If you were to LET that throne take you, there's no guarentee you'd ever be released! And I can't exactly swap places with whomever's on the thone like I used to!" Wilson lifted his head up at this outburst.

"Why not?" She lowered her shoulders at this question and sat back down, her palms facing the ceiling and the glow from her wrists brightening for a brief second before the Night Hands seemed to emerge from them once more.

"In my wrists are a pair of shards from the original Shadow Key I snapped in two. The Divining Rod was not always the key needed to swap with whomever's on the throne."

Edited by Tesability

Show Me This Life

Chapter 15: Arguing with Yourself

Being lost in thought while traveling through the unnatural darkness is almost never a wise thing to do, even when holding in hand a brightly-lit torch. Wilson had been walking blindly throughout this strange area, unable to see anything beyond the light of the torch.

"Ya know, considering your exit, I hope that wench comes and kills you here. It would be fun to see." The suddeness of the words heard from inside his own mind caused him to stop dead in his tracks, looking around in all directions.

"Who's out there? Show yourself!" The pace of breathing increased, Wilson couldn't help but start to panic slightly. There seemed to be no one in range of the torch, not even an outline at the light's edge, yet he heard a voice that sounded like it came from right beside him.

"A little hard to do, since...you know...I'M IN YOUR HEAD?" Almost on instinct did the scientist give his head a furious shake, almost in hopes to get the voice out of mind. "As dizzying as that was...that won't work. I'm a part of you, after all."

"There's only one being here and that's me," was the immediate response to the insane voice. The fear that maybe the man in red and white was starting to develop a split-personality crossed his mind and it was met with a maddening laugh.

"Split personality? I've always been here, you foolish loner, even before you left the family home. Sure, that pyrokinetic girl lives with you now, but you just see her as a walking science experiment. You're more of a monster than you give yourself credit for...and I like it." Kneeling in his place, Wilson laid the torch carefully down while propping up the flaming end upon a rock to not catch the ground as a whole.

"I don't see Willow like that, never have," he denied before placing his hands to either side of his head, bowing his head slightly as he did. As much as he tried to clear his mind of both thought and voice in attempt to maintain what fragile sanity he had left, he was greeted with a growing headache.

"You may lock me up for eternity, but I'm always gonna be here..." The strange yet oddly-familiar voice faded as it spoke, until it was almost impossible to hear. Balling up his hands and grabbing some of his own hair in the process, the resulting headache became increasingly-difficult to deal with.

While focusing on a simple task as breathing did seem to help at least take the edge of the pain, the fact that his eyes were closed allowed him to fail to see that the torch had gone out on him, leaving him alone in the darkness of eternal night...

Edited by Tesability

Show Me This Life

Chapter 16: On the Other Side

She couldn't tell how long it's been since she walked into this small home and saw her adopted father laying prone upon the ground, but even now his body barely moved beyond occasional violent tremors, as if the body was reacting to what was happening to the soul on the other side.

As per her now usual, Willow sat in the chair she had moved beside Wilson's bed, watching for any new movement from him. As each day passed, her hope for his return slowly waned and today, she had her head in her hands. The thought that he may never return was slowly sinking in and she was on the verge of crying because of it.

"Please, come back," she spoke, knowing full well her plea fell upon deaf ears. "I don't want to go back to the orphanage." A knocking on the door began to echo, causing her to panic silently.

"Wilson, I need to talk to you," sounded the voice of an elderly lady from downstairs, a voice the pyrokinetic recognized instantly.

"Oh, no, his mom's here," she whispered before quickly covering Wilson's body with blanket and sheet before getting to the door on the floor below in rapid pace, calming herself really quick before she opened it up. "Hello, Ms. Wickerbottom," she greeted the elder before allowing the lady in, knowing that she couldn't give any hint that there was something wrong. "May I ask the reason for your visit?" Pushing up her spectacles a bit, the elder known as Ms. Wickerbottom tapped the walking cane in her hand on the ground a couple times.

"I need to speak with my son. I was recently informed that his scream came from here at least a month ago and I wish to make certain that he is in good health." She sounded stern, and it set Willow even further on edge.

"He's fine, he's just resting right now," Willow offered in hopes that it would be enough to satisfy her, but the elder simply turned toward the child with a calm appearance to her.

"Then awaken him, please." Willow gulped before lowering her head, kicking the ground lightly as she placed her hands behind her.

"I...can't..." Wickerbottom huffed at this statement, narrowing her eyes as she did.

"Show me where my son is, child." Willow moved at a slow pace as she walked back up the staircase with the white-haired lady behind her. Once upstairs, Willow walked up toward the scientist's covered body, pulling back both blanket and sheet to reveal his head underneath.

"He's been like this for a while now, I found him passed out on the ground." Wickerbottom walked up to the still body, seeing his chest still rising and lowering itself ever so slightly. Placing a hand over where his heart would be, she could feel it pounding at a furious pace, almost as if reacting to either fear or pain. The elder shook her head, closing her eyes as she did.

"First my husband, now my son. What else shall be taken away from me?" Willow edged up to the grey-haired lady cautiously, unwishing to possibly agitate her.

"Actually, Uncle Wilson might come back," Willow spoke softly, with Wickerbottom's only response being to look back toward the young girl with pity.

"No, his father fell victim to a similar illness when he was still an infant and never woke up after a year of being in this state," the elder remarked, her aged voice almost hinting that she knew the truth already. At this moment, Willow moved quickly toward the strange machine, the portal in the room that still hummed with life.

"But Uncle CAN come back," the little girl exclaimed as she placed her hand on the lever. "And I don't care what Charlie says, I'm gonna help him get back!" Pulling the lever down with a hard tug, the machine whirled to life once more. Before Wickerbottom could even get a word out in protest, both of their bodies had fallen to the ground. Both souls had been thrown into the Beyond, hopefully to save their shared loved one.

Edited by Tesability

*swearing a lot off-screen* OKAY, I just had a key part of the overall workings of this fic blown to BITS by the "Hungry for your Hunger" update, which makes me wonder if I should continue this story or not. It's one thing to work on something when you don't know for sure about certain things and another to work on something when you know full well part of it is dead wrong. :/

Yes,but What shattered your story?

The only thing I'm gonna say is that when Maxwell is officially yanked into the Beyond and when he is yanked from in this story completely and utterly conflict with each other. >_<

There was another update?

There will be in roughly 3 days from the time of this particular post. The trailer still has me busting a gut from laughter at the end. XD

The only thing I'm gonna say is that when Maxwell is officially yanked into the Beyond and when he is yanked from in this story completely and utterly conflict with each other. >_<There will be in roughly 3 days from the time of this particular post. The trailer still has me busting a gut from laughter at the end. XD

Where did you find the trailer? I've been looking for it and can't find it.

Quite hilarious. XD On topic, I see no reason to discontinue this story for what seems to be a change in your "canon" when it appears that you have not divulged that part of the story. You could easily adapt the story to fit with this new information.

Quite hilarious. XD On topic, I see no reason to discontinue this story for what seems to be a change in your "canon" when it appears that you have not divulged that part of the story. You could easily adapt the story to fit with this new information.

Actually, I cannot do that without destroying this story. Though there are some theories inspired by items linked to the trailer that I can work into this story instead. I'm trying to plan out the next chapter as well, which probably has one of the biggest cases of dirty pool played on the poor scientist.

Ah, nevermind, I just had me a grand stroke of brilliance regarding the punch to the plot. >:3 *type type typetypetype*

Glad to hear that you jumped this hurdle. Edited by Luggs

Show Me This Life

Chapter 17: Deep Shock

"Why can't I remember where that throne is," Wilson muttered in the darkness, utterly lost in the eternal night of this particular pocket world. He wasn't sure how, but it turned out he could actually see clearly in the pitch-black. Everything seemed to give off a faint aura revealing their general shape, even the inanimate and unliving. Due to the faint coloration differences, he's been able to avoid certain dangers that would have risked killing him under normal conditions.

"Don't know, don't care, I don't want to approach that guy again...even if I did slice through his avatar's throat." Wilson couldn't help but shake his head lightly at the other voice in his mind, pulling his wings in closer to his back. He never tried to learn how to fly with them, since he was admittely almost afraid to learn how. Being bound to the ground all your life can cause a person to panic when suddenly lifted from the earth below.

"You're not going to be of any help, are you?" Wilson shot out in aggravation before getting an out of place feeling of anger, like the emotion wasn't his but belonging to something else.

"I've been helping, you can't even move on your own without me, jerk." Wilson immediately rejected the claim, knowing full well he can move normally without aid. A thud became heard nearby, causing him to stop dead in his tracks. Looking around toward all directions, he soon saw a pair of humanoid shapes in the dark. One seemed to glow with a faint red to his eyes while the other a pale grey.

"Ow, that hurt," one of them spoke before the area immediately around the pair, due to a spherical blaze in the young girl's hand. Willow had come back, and that almost got Wilson to panic out of concern. The other soul would have gotten a loud scream out of him if it wasn't for his hands coming up to cover his mouth unbidden just before he could.

"Bad idea, bad idea, last thing you want is to attract HER attention," the voice spoke, and Wilson knew it was right, but that didn't stop his heart from feeling like it was in some sort of speed race.

He saw the elder lady manage to slowly get up onto her feet with the aid of her walking cane, pushing her spectacles back onto her face. The look of sorrow on her face seemed wierd to him; it was something he had never seen before.

"I couldn't stop the deal from being complete after all," she spoke before looking down toward the sandy ground below. Willow turned toward the aged woman our of curiosity.

"Um...Ms. Wickerbottom? What deal," Willow asked quite pointedly as the elder, Wickerbottom, approached the edge of the light, unknowingly looking toward Wilson's direction.

"That accursed demon appeared to us two days after he was born, before then, the child hadn't moved once other than to breath. He claimed that the boy was...oh, what's the term he used..." Wickerbottom closed her eyes and lowered her head as Willow came closer to her, her head tilted to one side out of confusion. "Oh, yes. He claimed Wilson was suffering from Locked-In Syndrome from the start, able to think and know what's going on around him but unable to even cry out when something was wrong." The scientist in the shadows simply stopped breathing for a second, unable to believe what he was hearing.

"Told you," was the only thing he heard from the unseen voice.

Edited by Tesability