Show Me This Life (Alt. Timeline, Huge Spoilers In Early Chapters)

I still don't understand avatar, but I'm excited for more! ^ ^

...an avatar is something that's used to represent a person. In this case, Maxwell's projecting a double of himself to interact more closely with the world he is in control of.

Show Me This Life

Chapter 21: You Have Something that Belongs to Me

“You two…were working together…this whole time…? I thought you...hated eachother,” Wilson managed to say through clenched teeth, drained from his feeble attempt to escape the cross of shadow and mist he was bound to. He had nowhere near the physical strength as the strongman and he now regretted never keeping up his physical strength as well as he should have been.

"Oh, I'm still enraged at her snapping the Shadow Key on me back then," Maxwell responded before quickly shooting back a sidways glance toward the girl leaning against the side of the Nightmare Throne, flicking off a few embers from the lit end of his cigar to the side as he did. "However, it was her clever planning and dreamsurfing that both found you and started the attempt to pull you here. Now, I have a question for you, Wilson." The Puppet Master's approach caused Wilson to recoil a little into the cross, his face almost in the scientist's face by the time he stopped moving. Maxwell's face was completely straight aside from the very-slight smirk on the corner of his mouth. "Have you any idea why I had you use blood to fuel the machine, specifically your blood?"

Wilson gulped at the question. Not once had he pondered that disturbing thought since he had arrived here, even with the number of times he had taken off his glove to peer upon the scar on his palm from that. Subconsciously balling up tightly his left hand at the flashback inspired by the question, the scientist's gaze fell toward the ground.

"I...admittedly do not have a clue." His eyes caught sight of Charlie moving from behind Maxwell and toward the green gem on the ground that was increasing greatly in brightness.

"Waste of time and energy, little child," she simply spoke as she held the jewel in her bare hands, appearing to absorb the warmth that now came from it through her palms. "Even if you do manage to melt the gem, you'd be simply destroying yourself in the process." Though everyone could hear the soul in the gem screaming out loud, her words were mumbled by the time they managed to get through its shell. Wilson's eyes kept sharp on the gem in worry before Maxwell grabbed him by the chin momentarily to regain the scientist's attention.

"The portal was simply a blood ritual drastically changed to the form of a machine, a ritual that wouldn't have worked without blood filled with magical energy." A growl emerged from the bound one's throat at the claim.

"What magical energy I may have is from that spirit you placed inside me, you devil," Wilson snapped in disgust, rebellion growing increasingly obvious in his now-narrowed eyes. Maxwell, however, simply shook his head.

"Nope, not that simple, boy. Your father performed the unaltered ritual and none of the Beyond's energy was within him. His ritual worked like a charm, though he never made it anywhere near as far as you have."  Narrowed eyes instantly widened at those words, and his heart started racing for unknown reasons as the amulet around his neck was forcibly removed from his neck, causing a surge of panic once surpressed to flood through him. It was enough to cause him to close his eyes and lean his head back as far as was allowed in visible pain as he came to realize that the panic he felt was not his own.

"I guess the Greater Hallucination knows what's about to happen here, I suggest you make this quick," Charlie spoke as she took steps backward away from the cross, the green jewel in her hand. Maxwell quickly tossed the amulet back toward the girl dressed in simple black, before flicking out the same arm to his side, surrounding and becoming the same type of shadowy substance as a Night Hand seemed to be made off.

"One thing at a time, Charlie," Maxwell returned before pulling his arm as far back as he could. "And now, Wilson, I believe you have something that belongs to me." Wilson couldn't help but scream toward the starless sky above as the spectral arm pierced right through the front of his chest with nothing appearing on the other side.

Edited by Tesability

Show Me This Life

Chapter 22: Second Soul

Three seconds, that's how long the arm had been buried in his chest. However, the pain from the sudden piercing made that brief time feel like almost forever and it didn't help that Maxwell was moving it around, too. Wilson wanted to pull himself into a ball in reaction and had subconsciously kept trying to do so, but the bindings from the cross kept him firmly in place.

"I know you're in there," he barely heard from the man in the suit, mumbling to himself before the arm finally stopped moving. "Found you." Even with eyes closed from the pain, the smirk could basically be heard clearly.

Starting from his fingers and toes, the scientist could feel his body ceasing to move, as if it was shutting down on him. He wasn't sure if it was in reaction to the pain or something else entirely. Even his wings and head suddenly fell limp, though he still felt the pain searing though him. He could no longer even scream with his own voice.

Maxwell started stepping backwards slowly, one step at a time, as he pulled the demonic arm out of Wilson's strangely-undamaged chest. He only stopped once the hand was partially out into view and holding something similar to the same semi-transparent mist that the Hallucinations of the world were comprised of. At this point, the Puppet Master gave one rather-hard yank, throwing a creature vaguely shaped like the scientist across the area and straight into a large birdcage that had just formed to the right of the Throne.

Charlie, with the unusual amulet in hand, made quick work to place it around the seperated being's neck before jumping out and slamming the cage shut. Just as she closed it did the creature stir awake and get up onto its claw-like feet.

"You're both bastards, you know that," it asked mockingly with a voice significantly-higher than Wilson's. Fully standing, it appeared actually taller than its host as well as thinner by a slight bit. Its arms, when resting beside it, actually went past its knees and its hands looked exactly like Night Hands, though without the ability to resize and reshape themselves as needed. Its pure-white eyes were trained sharply on Maxwell with fury, since the glowing amulet around its neck was refocusing its own emotions, making it mirror more human-like emotion. "I hope you find yourself with a tentacle so far up your ass that the tip comes out your mouth and clears all that centuries-old crap out of you, you ancient geezer," it snarled.

The being's choice of words seemed strangely foul compared to Wilson's normal selection of words, though it's possible that the pure-black creature did not share any of the same personal restraint the scientist had.

"I don't know if that's your own thoughts or what Higgsbury here isn't willing to say himself," Maxwell commented, completely losing any smirk on his face before walking over toward the cage, twirling his cigar around between his fingers. Due to the creature's longer-than-normal arms, however, he couldn't get close at all. He even had to jump back a couple of steps to avoid one of the claws from catching him square in the chest. "Hm, something went wrong in this one's formation. A great amount of power, but no restraint at all. Good thing your usefulness has come to an end, then."

After another failed attempt to even approach the creature, he caught sight of Charlie's confused look that was swapping between him and Wilson, almost as if she was trying to add up something in her head. "What?"

Charlie's gaze finally settled on Maxwell for the moment as she pointed toward the boun. "Higgsbury? As in Percival Higgsbury?"

Edited by Tesability

"Charlie's gaze finally settled on Maxwell for the moment while pointing back toward the bound scientist. "Higgsbury? As in Percival Higgsbury?"Could you explain this..?

Charlie knows someone that goes by that name from her time. That's all I'm saying. >:3

As mad as I am over the fact that it took a pair of seizures to realize this, I've realized that not even I remember where I was going with this tale. For once, I failed to have a sort of timeline set-up for it and you can now see all sorts of evidence of various points where something was changed in the literal last second. However, instead of completely stopping this story, I'm pausing it and cleaning it up/redoing various parts to make it more neat, presentable and still enjoyable.

Not to mention the redo will be falling under a much-better-fitting name...

Alright, first thing's first. The title of this tale has been changed from 'Wilson's War' to 'Show Me This Life', since that is a more-fitting title, considering what I have planned. Second, not only have all the chapters been retitled, some of them have alterations that hopefully make much more sense, which kind of requires a re-read to see what new things have been added/removed/tweaked. Three, it's about DAMNED time I busted out a new chapter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Show Me This Life

Chapter 23: Not Truly Bound

"Higgsbury? As in Percival Higgsbury?"

"There's no way the two could be the same. The one we know's most-likely a descendent."

"I don't know, William, he looks awful like---"

"Don't even bring up appearances, girl. His own father looked almost exactly like him, so I wouldn't be surprised if the look passed on." Even though he couldn't move or even open his eyes to see, he was still able to hear the world around him and the conversation he heard confused him further than anything else he's heard so far. Another person, in the future no less, with a name identical to his own middle and last? "But if it eases your nerves, I know one way of finding out." Even though his eyes were closed, he didn't need them to feel Maxwell approaching him once again.

Wilson wanted to tense up as he felt something tickle the back of his neck for a brief second before feeling pain from something pushing through his skin and into his spine. He found himself able to react physically to the spike of pain once more, his hands and feet curling up into as much of a ball as they each could as his already-closed eyes clenched even more shut. "Open them up and look at me."

For some strange reason, the scientist found his eyes opening up against his will, slowly looking up toward Maxwell and finding himself staring directly into eyes blackened by the world they were in. He had not expect the Puppet Master's eyes to suddenly widen, though he gave no reaction that anyone else could see. Closing his eyes for a brief second, the widened eyes returned to normal upon reopening, before looking toward Charlie in the distance. "He's not the same one," Wilson heard him say before trying to struggle back out of his bonds.

"What are you two..." Just like when the Hallucination was ripped out of him did his body start to shut down again, feeling the strange sensation in the back of his neck disappear. Was he just now used as a literal puppet?

"Yes, he is. I'm sure of it."

Sure of what?

"Was that you?" Both Maxwell and Charlie had spoken in unison suddenly, almost in reaction to the thought that ran through Wilson's head.

Can you hear me? He didn't care at the moment if how he communicated was through some form of logic-breaking telepathy, being able to communicate in some way would be a blessing at this moment.

"Looks like someone finally remembered how to use that trick." The urge to cringe rises every time he hears that voice, the higher-pitched variant of his own that now came from his shadowed double. "Too bad that won't be enough to get us out of here."

Edited by Tesability

Show Me This Life

Chapter 24: Cheap Shot

Charlie pushed her glasses further up her nose as she looked upon the lit glass embedded into the strange alien box, her laptop, held on her open arm, reading all the words written upon it with keen interest. Taking a second to sit down cross-legged on the ground between both the throne and the misty cage, she placed it on the ground in front of her with the screen pointed up toward her as she traced her finger along the screen as if she was reading a book in her hands.

“Way too many coincidences,” she muttered rather faintly to herself, certain that neither the Puppet Master nor the scientist heard her, though the caged Greater Hallucination proved itself to have sharp hearing.

“What are you talking about,” it also asked with a quiet tone as the two blue gems in its strange amulet glowed slightly-brighter than normal. Charlie heard the tone of simulated curiosity in its voice; an emotion that she was sure was the product of her earlier work.

“I guess the Heart’s Chamber Amulet is a success after all, if you’re able to mirror his curiosity,” Charlie remarked before a particular line on the screen caught her interest. “Wait, that’s not right,” she muttered before standing up immediately onto her feet, catching a glimmer of blue light coming rapidly closer toward the general light of the area. “Maxwell, watch out!”

Maxwell didn’t even have the chance to respond before the source of the blue light connected with the back of his head, causing the dapper double to fall forward into the ground with a loud thud. Normally, when a significant blow was dealt to the double, it would disappear and consciousness would return to the original. However, despite not moving at all, Maxwell’s suited double remained face-first on the ground with his arms around his head. It was as if he had been hit just right to render him useless for the moment in both forms.

“Let go of my son, you foul man,” an aged voice became heard with a tone of suppressed rage as an older lady with her white hair held up into a bun came into view, spectacles over her face hiding her eyes behind a line of glare from the ambient light in the area. Walking up toward the unconscious double, she pulled back a high-heeled foot before trying to kick her foot into the dapper man’s side. However, her foot was caught by a black hand from the ground before it could connect. “Let me loose!”

“You keep off of Maxie, ma’am,” Charlie growled as she kept a clawed hand out in front of her, the spectral hand catching the elder appearing to stream from her left wrist. “Also, you no longer have a say in what happens to him. You surrendered that a long time ago in your attempt to do what you thought was best.” The elder yanked back her foot with quite a bit of force, causing Charlie to let go suddenly or risk being made to land on her face. “And so did he when the deal was made.”

“No, a person is not something that can be owned,” the elder remarked before muttering something incoherent under her breath as she held up a frail hand, strange symbols made of blue light surrounding her hand before forming together into a sphere of bright, blue light. Without a beat lost did she throw it toward the girl in black, whom side-stepped it by rolling behind the throne and emerging from behind on the other side.

“That’s what you think. Humanity still has forms of slavery in existence even in my time, though it’s often called something else.” Just as she made that statement was made did she feel her hand, the one that held the green gem that held Willow’s soul within be grabbed at the wrist from behind her. Turning around to see what had got her, Charlie’s eyes widened when she saw a human hand as well as what it was connected to.

“What the? When the hell did you get back?!”

Edited by Tesability

…I’m really sorry this particular chapter doesn’t have a clear POV…oy, vey.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Show Me This Life

Chapter 25: Come Back

“Little lady misbehave, children need to be punished.” A large burly man that towered over her held Charlie up in the air by her wrist, causing her to struggle to break from his grasp.

“I’ll show you who the child is, Wolfgang,” Charlie growled as she lifted her free hand, which began to glow with the familiar dark light. However, it was immediately surrounded with a bright light-blue that seemed to prevent anything from emerging. “What the?” She looked up as she felt something emerge between her held wrist and Wolfgang’s large hand and saw that it was also surrounded with the same strange light.

“Well-placed timing,” the young lady in black heard as she looked back behind her, seeing Mrs. Wickerbottom as the elder grabbed the green jewel out of her hand. “Though I don’t think we’ve met before.”

“Greetings later, free tiny man now.” With these words did Wolfgang make immediate work of turning Charlie’s back toward him and holding her against his chest with one arm, keeping the other free in case it was needed.

“What the HELL did you do to William, you old hag,” the girl snarled as she asked her question, which simply had the white-haired lady lifting a hand toward Charlie’s forehead.

“You shall hold your tongue.” Almost immediately did Mrs. Wickerbottom begin again with her seemingly-incoherent whispers, strange alien symbols of light-blue flowing around the held-up hand. After a few seconds, Charlie’s frantic fidgeting in Wolfgang’s arm began to slow before stopping entirely, her eyes closed and her head lowered.

“After being in control for so long, they both let their defenses down. A Suspension spell shouldn’t be enough to put out the Puppet Master.” Both elder and large man turned toward the source of the voice, the now-weakened Greater Hallucination within its cage that only managed to stay standing by leaning against the bars. “Heh, serves ‘em right.”

“YOU. Scary Monster that strike at me and little girl!” Wolfgang roared toward the cage before dropping Charlie to the ground, stopping in his place only when Mrs. Wickerbottom raised a hand in front of him.

“Wait a second; that might not be wise.” The black double looked up toward the top of the cage right as she stopped the big man, catching sight of it disappearing rapidly into true smoke just as the cross Wilson was bound to disappeared as well. With a loud thud did the scientist land in a pile on the ground as the area around them began to darken despite the invisible sources of light around them.

The Hallucination’s pure-white eyes widened at what was happening as all of them gems in its necklace began to darken as well, it was experiencing actual fear. “They are here…”

• Like 1

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!! Dammit, dammit, dammit, DAMMIT! Thanks to the fact that I spilt some of my tea over the center of my laptop, I effectively fried it! The thing won't even start up anymore now! The hard copies I had for my stories and art, as well as all my progress on various offline games...gone! And I was actually CLOSE to finally beating Adventure Mode with Wilson finally!

*kicks a random bouncy ball that rolls against her leg and winds up braining poor Wes with it after Wilson ducks under the fast-moving sphere*

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!! Dammit, dammit, dammit, DAMMIT! Thanks to the fact that I spilt some of my tea over the center of my laptop, I effectively fried it! The thing won't even start up anymore now! The hard copies I had for my stories and art, as well as all my progress on various offline games...gone! And I was actually CLOSE to finally beating Adventure Mode with Wilson finally!

*kicks a random bouncy ball that rolls against her leg and winds up braining poor Wes with it after Wilson ducks under the fast-moving sphere*

I'm sorry...That really sucks. Hopefully, you've saved some of your story to a flash drive...

Fortunately, the only chapter I lost that isn't on here was the one I WAS going to post up today, and I can probably get that typed up eventually. Pfft...

IF I had a desktop like I wanted, I would have never had this issue...but nooooo, my BF insisted a laptop was better...bull$#!t...

I just typed this whole thing up from a phone after rewriting this chapter from memory. PRAY you never have to do similar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Show Me This Life

Chapter 26: Time to Return

The shadowed humanoid did not wait for the cage to disappear fully. Instead, as soon as there was room to do so, it spread out its large avian wings and jumped up into the air to take flight. However, the out-of-place drain it had been feeling since being thrown into the cage dared to try and make it fall several times in such a small amount of time, almost directly landing on the scientist at one point.

"Am I actually starving," the deceptively-fragile shadow asked of itself before straightening out and laying on his back the very man its own appearance was vaguely made to mirror. "Now, where is it..." As it asked this strange question, the Greater Hallucination traced against the center of Wilson's clothed chest with an elongated claw.

It almost seemed in search of something, watching over its colorful twin with its pupiless eyes. It grinned slightly when the claw seemed to randomly become pushed into the frail man's chest, the sharp-tipped digit phasing through cloth, bone and flesh as it had when it was first yanked out. "Found the rip."

"Excuse me, but what are you doing to my son," it heard from behind itself from the white-haired elder, lowering its pointed ears like an annoyed cat as the spectral being ignored her for the moment. It traced out the edges of an invisible hole before pulling out the claw and covering the unusual gap with its palm, covering the hole entirely.

Spreading out the black wings as far out as they could stretch, the colorless being began to deform itself into mist, smoke, and steam before collecting itself as a whole into a sphere and dove straight into the immobile human, whom woke with a start once the floating gold necklace finally fell onto him.

It took a few moments for Wilson to realize he was able to move on his own again before sitting up, the amulet falling from his chest to one of his legs. "What...happened," he asked to no one in particular, not expecting to have a pair of large hands to hook under his armpits and suddenly stand the comparatively-small man onto his feet as the amulet fell all the way to the floor.

"Don't know how tiny man hold big, scary thing in him," were the words Wilson heard from behind, which prompted him to immediately turn around and almost smack the Strongman with a wing.

"What are you doing back?" Wilson was shocked to see the mustached man back in this frightening world, though he wouldn't be given a chance to speak.

"We are getting tired of these distractions." His hair couldn't keep up with how fast the scientist was looking around, unsure of where the unified voices came from. It was then that he noticed the area around them was starting to lighten up except for the aura of black that still surrounded the now-standing double as the real Maxwell began to stir upon the throne.

Edited by Tesability
  • Like 1

I'm writing out the next chapter now, but there may be a delay between when I finish and when it gets posted...mainly because the laptop I just got is sitting in the pawnshop again in order to pay rent...I just hope I'm alive by the end of the month and not dead from actual starvation...

*swipes use of her BF's computer while he's out* You all see nothing... *shifty eyes*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Show Me This Life

Chapter 27: Yours or Theirs

Relieved to see that her son was mobile and able to move about once more, Mrs. Wickerbottom gave to no one in particular a small smile before walking closer to the strange throne and the sleeping man sitting upon it. As much as she would love to giver her boy a much-wanted hug, the elder librarian knew he would not allow her near him.

Gem in hand, she used the faint green light that seemed to emerge from within to acquire a better look at the throne and its apparent prisoner. To her greyed eyes, the various strings that kept the man upright despite not being awake seemed semi-transparent, almost not fully there. However, placing a hand on these strange binds, specifically the ones upon his arms, revealed that they were indeed solid and real, feeling warm and fleshlike to the touch. It sent chills through her spine; how could a person tolerate such things for long, if at all?

What truly confused Mrs. Wickerbottom was the throne itself. Despite taking the form of an inanimate object, it too felt alive to the touch. While holding on to a part of the throne's top, it felt like it was throbbing as if something similar to blood flowed through it. But was it truly alive? She didn't dwell on this for more than a second when she saw something come out of the back of his neck, something similar to the binds that held him in place. This vein, as she noted to herself, seemed to connect Maxwell directly to the throne and allowed an exchange of energy to occur between both human and shadow, though more seemed to leave the human than entered. Tapping her bottom lip in thought, the librarian began to wonder if the Nightmare Throne was a form of reluctant symbiote, only giving its prisoner what it needs to keep itself alive.

"We are getting tired of this distraction." The elder lady jumped back from the throne almost immediately when the bound king began to stir awake, despite the spell he had been hit with not that long ago.

"Get out of my avatar, you damned flecks of black." This grunted quip from Maxwell was instantly responded with a Shadow Hand covering his mouth, preventing him from saying anything else. This prompted her to turn toward the direction that Maxwell was glaring at with acidic daggers in his eyes. That's when she saw the black aura around the double of the king that remained, the fact that it seemed to face toward her son...

...the fact that her son now had wings.

"You've been performing so well until now," the double spoke with many voices at once, something that would be impossible normally. "And yet you let that petty blood amulet manipulate you so easily, pity."

"What in Science are you talking about? What blood amulet?" She watched as Wilson moved himself into a combat pose, wings tight to his back as he took a step back with hands balled up into fists in front of him.

"Does it now matter?" With a flick of a hand toward the green gem in Mrs. WIckerbottom's hand did it try to fly forward, though it did so by bringing her along. The old lady didn't have the strength she used to have anymore, after all. "Heh, a volunteer," the choir of voices spoke before grabbing the gem out of her hand and lifting her into the air by a group of shadowed vines, one wrapped tightly around her neck.

"WIllow! Mother!" Wings spread out suddenly in fear, Wilson's eyes widened as well as the look of panic appeared on his face.

"Scrawny man get clobbered right now!" Out of the corner of Mrs. Wickerbottom's eye did she see the burly man launch forward toward the dapper puppet before being grabbed from out of mid-leap by even more vines of black.

"You didn't learn your lesson last time? Tsk." Just like with the elder, Wolfgang became bound in place by hands much stronger than himself, one wrapped around his thick neck. "Now, the choice is yours, Wilson and Noir. Take to the throne...or witness your allies become erased in front of your own eyes."

Edited by Tesability

Getting closer and closer to the end, finally. :3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Show Me This Life
Chapter 28: I Actually Give a Damn

Paralyzed. His fear had once again frozen Wilson in his place once again, even as those he viewed close to him hanged in the air under threat of suffocation and being crushed by the black, snake-like hands. No matter how loudly he screamed in his head to do something, not even a finger or toe dared to even flinch.

"Now, the choice is yours, Wilson and Noir." The collection of voices that had emerged from the puppeted double had recaptured the scientist's attention with the use of his name. However, from the split-second he began to dare wonder whom this 'Noir' was, the raven-haired man found himself having to bend down to one knee, closing his eyes and holding a hand over his chest from the sudden surge of pain that had appeared. It almost felt like his heart was getting ready to burst for some unknown reason. "Take to the Throne...or witness your allies become erased in front of your own eyes."

Wilson opened his eyes enough to glare at the emotionless double before taking a brief glance toward the large black chair, catching sight of Maxwell trying to shake off the hand that was keeping him from speaking and the lock that was near the King's feet. Placing a hand on the ground with gloved palm up, Wilson focused for a second on what had brought him here the first time around before closing his hand around the strange device on its long crooked staff. The Divining Rod he had on him during this trip was back in his hand and out of its strange pocket-dimension storage.

Using it as a prop to help him stand back up onto his feet, he soon spotted a glint of gold at his feet, the five-jeweled amulet that he had been wearing since Charlie made it for him. Then the mention of a 'blood amulet' ran through his head as he looked it. Blood amulet. Charlie's amulet. Now that he thought about it, the boom he heard when she made it was the exact same as the one he had made when he used his own blood to make a part of the accursed device that made this whole situation possible. Gingerly grabbing the amulet, he felt his heart increase even further in pace as if it was trying to keep up with a demand it had no chance of meeting.

"So weak...starving..." The voice in his head had returned upon touching the amulet. "Connection...lost...alone..." This whispered statement confused Wilson, whom simply heard a cold emotionless laugh from the colored shadow that held its hostages in the air.

"Oh, we forgot to mention this. Whenever one of Us learns of our own name, that one is disconnected from the rest and becomes an individual. Good luck supporting two souls on your own, boy." This earned a loud deep growl from Wilson's throat as he tried to slowly move over toward the Throne and its current prisoner, brown-orange eyes never leaving the lock.

"I'm not doing this for you," Wilson started before regaining his balance and pooling his strength long enough to lift the Rod into the air. "I'm making sure Willow has a future." Slamming the Rod into its place, the scientist heard the lock click just before the many binds surrounding Maxwell began to fade, even the hand that had been keeping him silent.

"You are insane, Percival," Maxwell simply stated as he got up from the Throne, stretching out his arms, legs and back from being in a sitting position for so long. He didn't care. The pain from his chest and the thought of ensuring his adopted daughter's future allowed no room for other thoughts to invade his mind.

"No, Maxwell. I actually give a damn about others." Grabbing a hold of one of the Throne's arms, the man in red and white sat down gingerly, the hands around him appearing to at least wait for a brief second as he tried to get comfortable. As soon as Wilson stopped moving around did the bindings of black mist began to surround him. Ankles, wrists, upper arms, waist, and finally his neck, all these spots surrounded and bound to the throne.

After he was firmly in place did he feel something crawl up against the back of his neck, the tip feeling around for something before pushing itself right into where his spine connected with his skull. The surge of pain was enough to make him scream loud once again.

Edited by Tesability

Show Me This Life
Chapter 29: Recall

He was screaming, Wilson could feel the evidence of his throat being used in such a manner. He could feel around various parts of his physical form the dreaded shadowed binds that pinned him to that accursed throne. He knew his eyes were open, he could feel them looking up toward the sky during his crying out.

However, none of that was true now.

All around him was blackness, the same sort of black energy that he had seen certain creatures appear from when his mind went off the deep end before snapping back into reality, that the bindings that held him in his place, that both Charlie's and Maxwell's Shadow Hands had all been made of clouding his vision. If he dared to place his hand in front of his face, he wouldn't be able to see it.

He almost jumped when he felt something placed over the right side of his face just after he felt his eyes close, which he seemed to feel something against his right palm at the same time. The scientist thought he was firmly bound in place, how did he move his hand?

And yet...

He felt himself move his hand away from his face, and yet even wtih such close proximity, he couldn't see anything. He decided to try and move his other hand, finding it both effortless to move and unrestricted, as if he wasn't in the throne.

What was going on? Was he dreaming? Had he passed out from the pain?

What finally broke his wondering about the unusual state of being was the voices that started out as faint whispers, whispers that slowly but surely grew louder. Whispers and voices he could slowly begin to recognize the words that were being said. Words that he remembered.

If Wilson had a mirror in front of himself that he had the power to see, he would have noticed that the color in his face completely disappeared once the realization hit him.

The words were prayers. Prayers of holy guidance, of demonic banishment. Prayers to the supposed Lord that he couldn't help but catch himself swearing to on occasion from old habit, a supreme being that couldn't, shouldn't exist. He could feel his hands balling up, shaking slightly in his place. He recognized the words that were said and could feel his heart shoot up into his throat in a metaphorical sense. Almost as if to confirm the cruel possibility that had entered his thoughts, the shadows seemed to move away, out of his vision like a mist that was starting to clear up.

He could see a crowd of people circling around something, a round wooden table of sorts. He could see several crosses held by almost everyone toward the center, toward the table. While most had one hand on their individual crosses with the other hand on the person next to them to form a chain of power, a select few had in their hands held what seemed like clean metal buckets filled with water that seemed to sparkle like the sun's rays on top of slow-moving waves.

The pupils and irises of his brown-orange eyes almost disappeared into themselves from the sight he saw in the center of that table.