Multiplayer?

Hey, I'm new here, just bought the game for my friend and myself and we were wondering if multiplayer is planned for the game? I'm sure the community would want that and i think it should be considered.

Also, I think it would be nice if maybe there will be big servers with huge maps and will be similar to Haven & Hearth. (check the game just to understand what I'm talking about.)

Anyway, just having the option to have a private server with your friends would be great.

Not really. Multiplayer would just mean more mouths to feed, more resources to gather for survival. You'd likely have to go out more often to gather food, and what would easily keep one person alive may struggle with two or three. It'd also make for an interesting situation if someone decided to hoard food for him or herself, leaving not much for his team members/frenemies to go on. Also, cannibalism.

Don't Starve really feels like it was designed from the ground up to be a lonely single player experience. It'd probably require many of the core mechanics to be completely reworked for the game to function well in multiplayer.

Co-op would be the closest thing to not ruining the "Alone" experience. It will still be completely game breaking. You may need double the food. But you can gather/build double the amount of things. It'd be over by day 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Co-op would be the closest thing to not ruining the "Alone" experience. It will still be completely game breaking. You may need double the food. But you can gather/build double the amount of things. It'd be over by day 3.

I think CO-OP is a good idea, Espeically now, when the game is on steam,I'm no programmer, but a few drinks and theres a demon goat in the game, how hard will it be to get co-op?(Please dont hate on me for this, i know its hard)

I get the whole 'stranded alone' experience, I'm definitely all for that and don't want to ruin it at all. I don't think co-op (possibly even just a max of two players) would break this experience too much. The world's would need to be bigger and you'd need to gather more, but you've got double the hands to do so, meaning you'll probably just need to be organised and efficient. The main issue I see is deaths... a respawn system, even on a timer is definitely a no-go so I have no idea how you'd go about that.

I get the whole 'stranded alone' experience, I'm definitely all for that and don't want to ruin it at all. I don't think co-op (possibly even just a max of two players) would break this experience too much. The world's would need to be bigger and you'd need to gather more, but you've got double the hands to do so, meaning you'll probably just need to be organised and efficient. The main issue I see is deaths... a respawn system, even on a timer is definitely a no-go so I have no idea how you'd go about that.

to answer your question on how they would do death, it would be pretty easy but pretty trolly. what they would probably do from what I THINK main word, is in multiplayer if one of you died you would probably lose everything you built and if the research thing comes out in January you would lose everything you researched or some where along those lines, and it would make sense to reset your map and respawn you in random part of the island/islands making death a terrable and scary idea. Having two people play on the same map wouldn't break the game rules cause even tho you have someone there your still alone, to properly explain here is the definition of alone.

alone:separated from others

yes it is very veg and which is the reason why having multiplayer wouldn't hurt the game especially if it's optional.

Edited by yiffy