We Are The Starvers

I still have to say this is an interesting take on how the Don't Starve world plays out. I could never write out this version of Wilson myself, even if I tried. XPYa know, I just had a thought. In this fic, Wilson's aware of Cursy's presence, but has not yet noticed that his own voice has been made to sound like an instrument instead of a human voice. Hm...

That's a good point.

this is so amazing, Math! :3

and now to do my job...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you very very much! >:3

I still have to say this is an interesting take on how the Don't Starve world plays out. I could never write out this version of Wilson myself, even if I tried. XP

Ya know, I just had a thought. In this fic, Wilson's aware of Cursy's presence, but has not yet noticed that his own voice has been made to sound like an instrument instead of a human voice. Hm...

Well, because I don't really consider this some game mechanism... it's just Klei doesn't have enough money to recruit people to do the voices XD

Hey, it would make for a hell of a reaction piece, to start saying something and realize "Hey, what on EARTH happened to my voice?!" while still being able to understand both yourself and anyone else this 'issue' is happening to.

Hey, it would make for a hell of a reaction piece, to start saying something and realize "Hey, what on EARTH happened to my voice?!" while still being able to understand both yourself and anyone else this 'issue' is happening to.

I am actually planning to mention the musical instruments, but not the voices.And think of it if I did the voices, I would have had to mention how LETTERS fly over them when they examine anything or start a fight etc. and that would be a lot of nonsense for the story XD

I am actually planning to mention the musical instruments, but not the voices.

And think of it if I did the voices, I would have had to mention how LETTERS fly over them when they examine anything or start a fight etc. and that would be a lot of nonsense for the story XD

That's kind of what I was thinking along the lines of, Math, hehe. Edited by Tesability

Chapter Eight: The Dingy

Ingulfed in darkness, my fears and thoughts rose again from their slumber darting me as if I was a slaughterer who deserves no mercy. Can science do anything in such a situation? Can I get out of this place using the powers of knowledge and erudition? I knew not the answer at that time, all what I did was screaming --I mean-- try to.

+++++But as if my voice box ceased to exist or was torn away from my neck, I couldn't utter even the faintest moan. I touched my neck softly demanding any vibration, because I thought that maybe instead of turning mute, I turned deaf. But nothing. After some thought I realized that the unease was not in losing my voice, why would I need that anyway? It was because I lost something else, it seemed so connected to my voice, and I was not surprised that it vanished with it.

+++++It was that buzzing sound I heard whenever I said anything, that rough fascinating sound which tickled my ears like a spring breeze, that lovely tone which my ears got accustomed to; that trumpet. That trumpet vanished.

Although I have never been a fan for any kind of music, but after few days of living hearing that sound, I can’t imagine my life without it. And I started losing my nerves there. You have to stay strong, Wilson. For the solar system sake, calm down.

+++++Wait, is this me being crazy and talking to myself, or there is something actually speaking to me in my mind? Because who cares about the solar system? There are tons of other systems and galaxies and according to some theories, even universes!

+++++Yes, I am a thing, Wilson, you can call me The Fairy of The Lake.

+++++Fairy??! What a joke, fairies are such an insult to science.

+++++I am here to help you?

+++++As if something as fake as you can help something as smart and handsome and REAL as me. Yes, I am so REAL that I have flesh and can breathe and I am totally not a character of some sort in totally awesome and addicting game that is called Don't Starve or any other nonsense like that! I am Wilson the REAL scientist gentleman

+++++Unluckily I don't have a physical body or I would have did the strongest facepalm of all time that my brain would literally get out from the back of my head in such an unpleasant scene.

+++++As if that is possible or as if ‘facepalm’ is even a word!

+++++Do you know that if the writer didn’t have a policy of no swears I would have been using the two FamoUs letters right now?

+++++What?

+++++Ugh. Never mind. I am just here to help, consider me a part of your OH GREAT SCIENTIST MIND that wishes to help you, okay?

+++++Sure, at least that make sense.

+++++SURE! FamoUs.

+++++Famous? I will be a really really famous scientist?!

+++++Of course, of course. This is a prophecy, so hear it! When you create an amazing machine that does an absolutely absurd amount of calculations per second you will be famous.

+++++Wow, that seems totally useless.

+++++The only useless thing here is yo-- uhh.. I mean YOLO.

+++++What’s YOLO?

+++++FamoUs. So do you know what is this place?

+++++I know everything!

+++++Of course, why not. So where are you?

+++++vacuum, pfft. That’s obvious, smartpants.

+++++Yea, so why can you breathe?

+++++Because this vacuum contains oxygen!

+++++Crap... And that’s even possible...?

+++++Oh my Big Bang! You believe in ‘impossible’?! There is no such thing in science!

+++++I have had enough! You’re in a place called The Dingy. You were teleported here due to the fact that you were stupid enough to ‘flip the switch’ and then die. You will be staying here until you get RECALLED. When you are back in the Kevinia, you will forget every recipe you mastered before, and that’s something unchangeable according to my current knowledge. So you would be totally stuck without my help, I am going to try to guide you to THE OTHERS and together you may find a way to get out of Kevinia.

+++++The Dingy? Recalled? Others? Kevinia?

+++++Wow. You literally know everything. I am using an incredible amount of power to contact you like this, and I don’t have time to explain to your amazing brain anymore. Follow the fire.

+++++Wha--

Before continuing my sentence I saw a flame in distant locale. Should I really trust something that is so insulting to science? I think it won’t harm to see what’s there. And my curiosity as a scientist overwhelmed me.

+++++There was no ground of course, but I just tried to walk towards the fire and it actually worked, the fire continued approaching me with every fake step.

+++++As soon as I reach the fire, it vanished and in it’s place stood a youthful juvenile and extremely beautiful lass. Her shirt striped cerise, her skirt ebony as of a tree covering inside it an exquisite core. And her boots was towering, scornful. Her black twin tales shined with a fiery colour even without light anywhere to be found. Actually for some reason, although there is no light source, she was like a bright luminous Ruby in the night of eternity. My heart beated expeditiously. What a fair maiden. Young indeed and I think she shouldn’t even think of an oldie like me in any way near the way I think of her, but just if I can find a way to go back to my youth ages, I would totally-- this was the first time a girl enter my mind in such a manner, I have always ignored relationships and dedicated my whole life for science, but nothing remains as is. Nothing remains as is.

iB7uLcA.png

NEXT

PREVIOUS

Edited by Mathspy
  • Like 2

Chapter Nine: Light

“Finally, with the name of science, I am not alone!” I shouted when my train of thoughts reached its destiny; time to start a conversation.

+++++“Seems so.” The little girl answered quite coldly.

+++++“Hello, nice to meet you.”

+++++“Okay.” And an awkward silence fell upon us which lasted for quite a while.

+++++“So what's your name? I am Wilson Higgsbury, the gentleman scientist!”

+++++“I'm Willow, just Willow,” she was cold but in next part her tone changed to something warmer, actually so much warmer that you could feel the heat, “the Firestarter!

+++++“What?” I was a little astonished and she didn't reply.

I stood there, just observing her cogent beauty without speaking but that didn’t last for long, I couldn’t resist the temptation to just talk to her! “Okay, alright. So, umm, do you like science?”

+++++Her eyes narrowed a little while she said, “can you burn science?”

+++++“Huh? Umm, yes, I guess, there are some experiments that can create quite a good explosion or even fire if you wish”

+++++“Ohhhh boy, that sounds like much fun!” Her tone started to change to something more childish, and I liked it.

+++++“So I guess you do like fires?” And actually I didn’t care if she is a pyromaniac or even a demon because she was truly nice.

+++++Her eyes widened and those old cold expressions were replaced with a flourishing gleeing. “Oh, yes, I do ADORE fire.

+++++“Oh, oh! Fire! Is everything for me

Fire! Is the brilliance covering the tree

Fire! Is the one thing that makes me love

Fire! Is the one thing that can belove

Fire! Is the fieriness of the youth

Fire! Is the only and single truth!

Fire! Is the light in the night!

Fire! Is our salvation and our sight!” Alongside the lines of her verse, my heart danced in delight. Her eyes was fixed upon me and soon she smiled and grabbed something from the pocket of her skirt. It was a small lighter; very tiny with a flower drawn over it.

She lit it up. Although the light was as faint as of a candle yet it covered The whole Dingy in light. The Dingy was no longer black, it was white, white with luminous orange flames dancing. A smile clang upon my lips, yes! No more fear of you, darkness! I will win along side my friend, Willow!

+++++But soon, my glee was no more: without alarm, Willow vanished with her lighter and The Dingy went back to it’s original colour, and my heart... my heart fell in anguish. Will I... see her again?

IMPORTANT: (Still open!)

There will be a little competition around here! And there will be PRIZES. The competition is fairly simple:

There is something about all of the first nine chapters that "connects" them, if you can figure out that thing and send the answer in a reply here or in a private message, YOU WON! If no-one figured out by the time I post the next chapter, I will give more hints but that shouldn't continue for long, I hope.

PRIZES:

1) A SURPRISE. And only the winner will know it. (Removed because of the very tiny number of participants)

2) The Winner will be allowed to give me ANY character that they wants to appear in the story, BUT I hope whoever wins don't choose a character they consider it a part of them because all of the characters are equal and alive, so they die too and they love too.

MORE HINTS APPEARED IN THE NEXT CHAPTERS.

HuQOOWd.png

NEXT

PREVIOUS Edited by Mathspy

Chapter Ten: Tell me more

“It seems like you came seeking for information about my daughter, young man.” I spoke when he approached me as I read the words in his eyes.

+++++He just nodded. His answer might have seemed cold, but I am sure he already knew a lot so I wasn’t shocked.

+++++“Then listen carefully,” and I started my tale.

She was a young girl when the accident happened. Me, her and her father went on one of our forest camping adventures with her because she loved camping so much and was a part of the Girl Scouts. We left her and went in a walk, we always did because we knew she could take care of herself but something went wrong, and I am not sure what is it until now. A fire started, the forest was burnt down and she was barely saved.

+++++She stayed in the hospital for few months, and then she was well enough to be released, but the doctor said that she shouldn’t go near forests or camping or fires for quite a while, if not forever.

+++++Few days based, she stayed in her room in bed most of the time. Me and her father were not feeling uneasy at all, no, the exact contrary. We felt that’s it’s a miracle for her to finally recover.

+++++And then the cursed day. I was out buying her new clothes and I left her with her father home. And when I returned… I found the house on fire surrounded by tens of ambulances and fire trucks. I dropped the bags and ran towards the house, but the firefighters caught my arms and I fell on my knees crying and my view blanked out.

+++++The next thing I remember was waking up in the hospital, my hands tubed and feeling all my body aching. The doctor came to me after a few minutes, “Oh, good, you woke up.”

+++++“What happened?!” I didn’t care if I died, what happened to the dearests to my heart is over anything else.

+++++“Well, Mrs. Blazestone, I am afraid to tell you… Your husband is dead.”

+++++Speechless.

+++++“Your girl reacted to her accident in a different manner, instead of having a Pyrophobia as a resultant of what happened which is a predicted reaction, she was infected by Pyromania. She lit the house in fire while your husband was asleep, but luckily when she fainted from smoke she was in the middle of the room which didn’t contain a carpet, she was quite away from any fire. Whileas your husband was sleeping on the bed and… he was burned to death”

+++++I didn’t answer, no answer was proper in that situation, or I was just too overwhelmed, or both. I only nodded and she said that she understood and would leave me alone. I cried until I fell asleep from pain and agony and promised Newton, rest in peace, that I will protect our daughter from herself and the dangers of the world forever and ever.

+++++Next day I went to Willow’s room who didn’t quite wake up yet and I remained by her side for another three days until she woke up.

+++++“Mommy, what happened?”

+++++“You just fainted dear and we brought you here to the hospital.”

+++++“Where’s daddy?”

+++++“He had a very important errand to China, and he will return as soon as he can.”

+++++“Mommy, why are you crying?”

+++++I promise I will take good care of Willow, Newton. I promise.

IMPORTANT:

There will be a little competition around here! And there will be A PRIZE (Note how the first prize was cancelled because of the very little number of participants). The competition is fairly simple:

There is something about all of the first nine chapters that "connects" them, if you can figure out that thing and send the answer in a reply here or in a private message, YOU WON! If no-one figured out by the time I post the next chapter, I will give more hints but that shouldn't continue for long, I hope.

PRIZES:

1) Cancelled

2) The Winner will be allowed to give me ANY character that they wants to appear in the story, BUT I hope whoever wins don't choose a character they consider it a part of them because all of the characters are equal and alive, so they die too and they love too.

HINT 1! Whatever that connection is, it doesn't require you to read the chapters, but it requires you to have a keen eye.

kVHShbc.png

NEXT

PREVIOUS Edited by Mathspy

From Wilson to a sort of 'transfer character' to most-likely Willow, I noticed the break in point of view...interesting tale for explaining her fascination of the flame.

This is the kind of reader that I like >:3 The guesser reader!

Edited by Mathspy