Add Upgradeable Homes. Fences. Increase Risk/Reward at night

Hmm I actually kind of like the idea of the straw hut partly because I can see it being designed in an art style appropreate with what we've seen in the game so far. It would also offer little protection from attacking monsters (they could probably just 'walk in') but offer some protection from the elements (rain specifically I can't see it withstanding snow and not crumbleing)

Hmm I actually kind of like the idea of the straw hut partly because I can see it being designed in an art style appropreate with what we've seen in the game so far. It would also offer little protection from attacking monsters (they could probably just 'walk in') but offer some protection from the elements (rain specifically I can't see it withstanding snow and not crumbleing)

Unless you want the devs to create a funny monster that runs around 'blowing' straw houses down and knocks on doors of pig houses.

We already have boards and cut stone. Those are the basic components of a house. The pigs already have wooden houses - clearly the have access to the necessary materials.

Really, building a regular house shouldn't be a difficulty for the avatar. You could also go back some levels and make log cabins or straw yurts. If they put in an animal you can skin for leather then you've got tipi materials (tipis are transportable). If they add dirt as a resource, you could make wattle-and-daub houses and fences out of dirt, manure, grass, and twigs.

I think if we don't see an abode of some sort enter the game it will simply be because the devs don't want it.

The fact that we can build pig houses does imply our character is fully capable of building a reasonable house although granted pig houses are significantly smaller then anything your character could use without the tardis thing I mentioned earlier. Im not really argueing against that im just thinking whatever house you do build can't be to secure. It'd turn the game into minecraft and make survival a chore really if all you'd need to do from the beggining of the game is rush to build your first house and then your safe.

So what needs to be discussed are the details on how the houses function, take damage, break/collapse, and how the hostile environment of night can get at us inside our home. In my mind the primary function of a house is protection from the elements rather then from the hostile invaders. Its kind of like how zombies always find there way inside houses in all thouse horror movies.

It's a surviving game u know.Not building game, so i dont want home. :)

Maybe with game modes like Survive(Normal) Free Mode(Respawns, can build home) Build Mode(Dont need resources, Can build everything, like fences home etc.) What do u think guys?

I dislike the idea of houses completely. Its man vs wild.

I do however like the idea of fences. This opens up options with sanity and other more fun things like monster traps. Something that can control pathing opens up opportunities for players to be creative. Imagine it like mob traps or redstone in Minecraft and Terraria. Promoting creativity like this will keep people playing. Hounds would be able to jump over the fences, as well as other monsters. Having fences nearby will help with your sanity.

I think the tents should be re-worked slightly, and destructible fences should be added. The tents would be destructible too, of course. If you put a sleeping roll in the tent, you can sleep in it for say, 2 times and not just once maybe. You could also go in there any time and you could see your guy sitting on a chair/sleeping on the bed inside considering it's a tent you could see the inside of it. You couldn't use it to escape monsters considering it's destructible, I mean you could but they'll destroy your tent so not much use except maybe healing up.

Edited by xeezy

I seriously think that maybe houses could just be used for a part in the sanity role. When you stay in the woods, cramped around a fire, knowing there are giant spiders ready to eat you, that is discomforting and insanitizing. When you are in your house, huddled by the fireplace with a blanket and hot beefalo milk in your hands, you feel much more safe and happy. I don't want to add beds to skip the nights, but working on a nice house could give the player something to actually work for, instead of your yard full of saplings and tall grass, you could have a nice little cottage with a kitchen to put your crock pot at and a safe place to keep your pet tall bird chick. The fireplace would work the same way as a fire pit, and you could make it like Hearthfire on Skyrim, you collect the materials then create the next part. This may be a little out of place, but because gold is a renewable resource ( bunny meat to pig king = gold, bunny meat is renewable, making gold renewable ) we could add alchemy or potion making, like honey and three flowers could make a weak healing potion. A small, log cottage is what I think, and it basically moves your outdoor things, in.