Griefers are evolvilng. What to do?

I've been playing this game for years and today I think was the first time I've ever considered stopping.

I was playing in the only South America Server hosted by Klei right now (there were more, but since a few weeks ago only one is showing up).

We were having fun when suddenly the server got full with what I assume could only be bots. They all proceeded to die, except from one. Burned all the base, the ghosts gang up around my wife and started following her. Votekicks didnt work because since we were 2-4 at the time vs around 8 bots they would vote against it. 

Despite all that we continued to play until I had to leave for a few minutes. And sure enough another bot took my place. 

Only real players in the pictures are Aiume and hideki. The others were the griefers.

I`m not new to griefers in this game but this... I had countless bases destroyed but its usually 1-3 people entering and then leaving. I don't mind that. But what should we do in this case? 
20240423141453_1.jpg.c45534f0c11a97c91c2994558d862ba5.jpgimage.jpeg.b2e68ceaf1af3f4a7e62f04fd9275941.jpeg20240423141449_1.jpg.03d1cd23cc14ea970397b0c87bf2a0f6.jpg

• Sad Dupe 6

the only solution is to play on other servers since no one gets banned on klei servers, they also take nicknames of other people from other klei servers e.g. i've seen the nickname of a guy that i know that plays on US east servers among them after they joined an EU server and i see that they took my nickname too

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 3

Gotta treat klei pubs as a mess around or boss rush server.

If you go into them with the mindset and playstyle of a private server by making big pretty megabases you are only gonna be disapppointed.

Playing klei pubs in a nomadic way with a bare minimum base for mainly prototyping is fun and challenging.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gashzer said:

If you go into them with the mindset and playstyle of a private server by making big pretty megabases you are only gonna be disapppointed.

Playing klei pubs in a nomadic way with a bare minimum base for mainly prototyping is fun and challenging

you can't play them that way either with those people because they'll do a vote kick on you after they'll become able to 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grm9 said:

you can't play them that way either with those people because they'll do a vote kick on you after they'll become able to 

Not much else we can do then.

Spend autumn making friends then move to a private world?

Klei shouldn't waste any resources on moderation tho. That would be a slippery slope of insane work and problems.

• Like 1

I wonder how viable it would be to set up honeypot servers where bots control and imitate Wilson players to make the griefers waste time. On the other hand, the dumdums could also create malicious bots in theory.

Yeah I think the best solution might be a private world or a moderated dedicated server. Otherwise try to find friends in klei public servers to help keep the number of players above 5 so that the bots can be kicked in time.

Your best solution is to play exclusively on Xbox, because I’m assuming Sony forked over some extra dough to get as usual their exclusive content rights *rolls eyes* and if you want to play with Klei or Dedicated servers, you can do so on PC or PlayStation.

Xbox on the other hand… even though the option to search for them has ALWAYS existed, has never had access to them. This is EXCLUSIVELY what prevented me from ever being able to play the Forge Event, Despite the games opening title screen at that time teasing me with its existence.

Yes I’m mad, I have every right to be mad.. and it’s an issue I’ll take up with Klei staff when/If the Gorge/Forge Events ever return, and I’m still unable to enjoy it.

Anyway my point is that Xbox doesn’t have these servers, and never has… so you can’t get server bot spammed if there’s no servers ;) 

4 hours ago, grm9 said:

the only solution is to play on other servers since no one gets banned on klei servers, they also take nicknames of other people from other klei servers e.g. i've seen the nickname of a guy that i know that plays on US east servers among them after they joined an EU server and i see that they took my nickname too

I wish I was worthy of identity theft :

• Haha 1

change the eye of terror and twins of terror spawning mechanics. the terrarium is so often abused in public lobbies it's often hidden somewhere on the map so no one can find it. the boss spawn mechanic must be changed asap. make them spawn at the terrarium instead of any player. we've been asking for this change forever.

Edited by WashYourHands
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, WashYourHands said:

change the eye of terror and twins of terror spawning mechanics. the terrarium is so often abused in public lobbies it's often hidden somewhere on the map so no one can find it. the boss spawn mechanic must be changed asap. make them spawn at the terrarium instead of any player. we've been asking for this change forever.

Not to mention this isn't even how bosses behave in terraria. Whoever used the summon gets targeted, not the guy on the other side of the world minding his own buisness. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Playing klei pubs in a nomadic way with a bare minimum base for mainly prototyping is fun and challenging.

You can't mess around if they make a lag machine though. Exactly this situation is happening in almost any 50+ day server. If you continue nomadically, they will lag you out. I don't mind the sanity drain challenge from server full of ghosts, but there are aspects of this you are powerless against. Leaving the server for a toilet pause and getting your spot filled is another problem.

7 hours ago, ShadowLuna said:

Yeah I think the best solution might be a private world or a moderated dedicated server. Otherwise try to find friends in klei public servers to help keep the number of players above 5 so that the bots can be kicked in time.

5 vs 7 will not win you votes. And they all join at the same time.

8 hours ago, prettynuggets said:

the dedication of this griefer tho, i guess nothing much going on with their life that they put that much effort in griefing someone's game.

Yeah well, he probably has about as much going on as someone playing the game. For him griefing is the game. He is getting a sense of “pride and accomplishment” from this.

9 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Not much else we can do then.

Spend autumn making friends then move to a private world?

Klei shouldn't waste any resources on moderation tho. That would be a slippery slope of insane work and problems.

We don't need and shuld not expect any moderators on Klei servers, but the robustness of the kick tool could be definitely improved, don't act like it couldn't. It is a complicated problem, yes, but not one that would take a bajilion hours of development time.

Just a few iterations on: 1) analyze the problem 2) introduce a solution 3) gather feedback 4) repeat... would dramatically improve the robustness I think.

Picking the fight with such griefers would probably be fun for them too, but I think there is a way to make them feel just as powerless as we do when they grief us.

Edited by Cr4zyFl4mes

17 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Not to mention this isn't even how bosses behave in terraria. Whoever used the summon gets targeted, not the guy on the other side of the world minding his own buisness. 

I think the terrarium is meant to mimic EoC’s natural spawn where it just randomly shows up on a random player. Not saying it shouldn’t be changed though, this doesn’t work as well in dst as it does in terraria.

3 hours ago, goblinball said:

I think the terrarium is meant to mimic EoC’s natural spawn where it just randomly shows up on a random player. Not saying it shouldn’t be changed though, this doesn’t work as well in dst as it does in terraria.

Which happens once, and only targets players that are considered by the game to be ready 

I recommend using ownership mod, it protects your things from being griefed by other players. It can be a bit annoying for some things, but in general it ruins most griefing methods like fire, hammer, or even the most recent methods like the "Beaver bots".

Also, if you want to play long-term you should probably look for endless dedicated servers. I don't know if its okay or even safe to link servers that are not from Klei themselves here, but I know of atleast 1 "bunch" of endless servers with admins and a Discord with a place to report griefers and all that ****. Im from Argentina and I mostly play in an endless from that bunch which is for South America players.

Edited by kroban

2 hours ago, kroban said:

I recommend using ownership mod, it protects your things from being griefed by other players. It can be a bit annoying for some things, but in general it ruins most griefing methods like fire, hammer, or even the most recent methods like the "Beaver bots"

that's entirely unrelated to the 1st post