Stop wasting my time.

Resently while testing new fuelweaver cheese I looked up a console command that would increase in game time speed to see if the cheese actually works regardless of how many times you fight fuelweaver. After discovering it, I could not stop myself from using this command in my solo world constantly.

This is making me very frustrated, because I am facing 2 unpleasant choices: either I use cheats which feels extremely unpleasant and kills my will to play, or I do extremely boring repetitive stuff wasting HOURS of my real life time holding a button (or using action queue) which also kills my will to play. 

Klei are extremely reluctant when it comes to QoL additions, always trying to add a garbage downside, or some other handicap, and I don't understand why. All you achive is waste player's real life time, the in game time we could save is ABSOLUTELY irrelevant. Console command I used saved zero in game time and guess what happened? Nothing. 

Let's actually look at a few problems and some of the low standart solutions to see what I mean:

1. Lazy forager. This item was an absolute garbage. Have you ever wondered what's the point of those little holes in the ruins that protect the loot? Their purpose is to give a bad item some kind of random use, instead of actually improving it's intended purpose - collecting stuff faster. It took klei forever to admit that this amulet NEEDS an improvement, so what did they do? Made it repairable, and fixed it's behavior a bit so that it would actually pick items faster (but only if you pick them up yourself as well). Am I the only one who thinks that this is absurd? A magic amulet that supposedly collects stuff FOR you can't make a difference unless you do the same work you did without it. In the end, you'll collect stuff about twice as fast, minus the time it takes to farm the fuel to charge it, which btw it drains a lot of. The only item that seemingly drains more fuel is the bone armor - an item that gives you immortality. I don't understand why people think this is good enough for an item that is meant to save real life time by getting rid of meaningless chores. Lazy forager still needs a buff. It should have a bigger range, more durability, cost less fuel to recharge and above all else - it MUST collect more than 1 item at a time. Give me a single reason why it is not this good yet.
  2. Shadow reaper. Another item that is meant to help with extremely repetitive and annoying tasks such as harvesting grass. But for a post rift item it does it's job pretty mid. Again, why must everything have a handicap? Why does it spill crap on the floor instead of being normal and putting harvested resources directly in players pockets? Is this another attempt to give orange amulet a purpose without buffing it? 
  3. Maxwell's workers. They are pretty good, but again, things just can't be normal for some reason. They would litteraly rather die than give their resources to Maxwell when he is outside of their work circle, which is exsactly what they do. When I was cleaning forest I did not have the time to grab 1 stack of resources from 5 workers before they die, and I was on the fastest beefalo you can get, mind you. I had to do a /dance every 5 seconds just to reset their idle death timer so that they could actually finish their work. Some times 1th worker died while I was summing the 5th. This is bs. The reason they do not leave their circle I assume is because that would make them so useful, every other character would piss themselves out of jealousy, but I do have a solution for that. Buff orange amulet. Buff shadow reaper. Increase your standarts for QoL features. Stop wasting players time on chores. Then the workers will not be as amazing as they are currently, even if you let them leave their circle. 
  4. Furnace. People asked for a way to cook food faster, and the furnace was an ideal opportunity for that. Instead, klei are meming on us with fruit cakes. 
  5. "It's bizy" "it's asleep". This is not an improvement and it's not meant to be. I'm not sure what this mechanic was added for honestly. Basically some actions can not be done because the target is playing some kind of animation or is sleeping. This is not the case in single player. There are a lot of scenarios where these mechanics serve no purpose other than to annoy players, but the ones I wanna focus on are the ones that waste time. Antlion trinket trade and merm king feeding/fish trading. I'll say it how it is. nobody cares about immersion. Nobody cares about animation canceling looking weird. Nobody cares that a mob is "bizy". Bird in a cage and pig king animations can be canceled and imagen how annoying if would be if you couldn't. Sawhorse also has this issue if you use action queue as it will constantly be bizy, but it's not a big deal since sawhorse is pretty fast regardless.
  6. Sawhorse. The thing that bothers me is that it only works on logs. This makes sence realistically, but that won't change the fact that other resources also need faster crafting. We need a new structure that works on every material, and I am worried klei are not planning on adding it because that would make the sawhorse's ability redundant. 
  7. Planting pinecones. There is yet to be added a solution to how long it takes to plant pinecones. Why not let them plant themselves? Just leaving them on the ground should make them grow. The trees might end up closer to each other than it's allowed, but who the hell cares? 
  8. Wobot. Tiny range, insanely awful harvesting speed. Range was obviously taken from flingomatic and klei forgot to even add a proper showcase. You can't see the range when you hold wobot, instead you see it when placing structures as if it's a flingo. It has uses I guess but all I see is missed potential of what wobot could have been. 
  9. Cooking and drying. Jerky has been a subject of debate for a while now but people seem to ignore it's main issue - slow harvesting that cannot be speeded up with anything. Even shadow workers refuse to touch that stuff after maxwell beta which makes me cry and wonder if this is another handicap, or are klei clueless enough to think this is an improvement to stop shadows from picking stuff up you don't want. Same goes for crockpot, I use a client mod that repeats last dish instantly but there is no way to speed up the harvest. Another missed opportunity for wobot is what I see here. 

That's about it. 

• Like 3
  • Health 1

the problem is that time also matters in game, spending an absurd amount of time getting logs or rocks or planting stuff or building things might make you miss out on doing something in time e.g. ruins before winter since there are no trees there, shadow pieces before winter so you don't need to wait for next new moon, dfly before winter to not miss out on half of furnace's purpose etc., so you need to choose to either do something absurdly time consuming that makes stuff easier but you can play without e.g. making a base or prioritize stuff that you can't play without because it's part of your goal and do it quicker in comparison to making a base and then doing that, that can easily get solved when playing solo by allowing the players to speed up the game or automatically speeding it up when they're working or picking stuff up and there are no enemies nearby or making trees, rocks etc. get broken in 1 hit but reducing axe and pickaxe durability by more and doing longupdate on the world to decrease your hunger, sanity, wetness, temperature, amount of time left until next day phase etc. by the amount that they would've got reduced by if you would've kept holding space for 15 chops instead of chopping the tree once, you could do same thing in multiplayer and divide that amount by the amount of players on the server but it'd be really awkward if you would've been catching butterflies or doing crabby hermit stuff or interacting with pig king/pigs but dusk/night would've started sooner because of someone chopping trees 

Edited by grm9
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

Resently while testing new fuelweaver cheese I looked up a console command that would increase in game time speed to see if the cheese actually works regardless of how many times you fight fuelweaver. After discovering it, I could not stop myself from using this command in my solo world constantly.

I've played around with that a bit myself and mostly I like it.  For a lot of my testing plays I'll bump the speed up +25-50%.  The game still feels pretty good at this pace, and you feel like a lot of the repetitive stuff isn't such a slog.  The game doesn't always handle well at boosted speeds though so there is probably room to make a proper DSTurbo mod.

I definitely agree with the furnace point.  We got a stove top and a drawer we can put stuff in... but it only destroys it...  imo this is an example of the too narrow-focused design Klei has been stuck in.  Everything has to be this "specific thing for specific task" now, like every boss tries to require you fight it one specific way, and every tool just does 1 thing.  Its soo limiting and bland tbh.  imo any reasonably creative person with passion in their work would have looked at the idea to use the furnace as a trash can and *naturally* extended this to bulk cooking, converting to ash / charcoal, etc.  Its not like bulk cooking is some imba task AND this could just be another enlightened shard upgrade if they really MUST keep shoving those into everything...

I play games to waste time. When i have a whole night with nothing to do, i skip the night by play the game.
If i dont want to waste my time, i would do something productive, not playing video games.

• Like 1
  • Health 1
  • Sanity 5

Man it really sounds like most people on these forums hate playing DST. 

Klei can't and shouldn't balance DST for players with 5000+ hours. 

Its time for you guys to move on and find a new game to play instead of wasting time on a game you sound completely fed up with.

• Like 20
  • Haha 2
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

3 hours ago, Gashzer said:

Man it really sounds like most people on these forums hate playing DST. 

Klei can't and shouldn't balance DST for players with 5000+ hours. 

Its time for you guys to move on and find a new game to play instead of wasting time on a game you sound completely fed up with

i don't think that people with 0 hours have fun through picking grass, twigs etc.

Edited by grm9
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

After discovering it, I could not stop myself from using this command in my solo world constantly.

This is making me very frustrated, because I am facing 2 unpleasant choices: either I use cheats which feels extremely unpleasant and kills my will to play, or I do extremely boring repetitive stuff wasting HOURS of my real life time holding a button (or using action queue) which also kills my will to play. 

My brother, you are describing an addiction. you somehow are describring the effects of withdraw too.

Also, half of those Items are great and can be paired together (Reaper + forager).

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

1. Wobot. Tiny range, insanely awful harvesting speed. Range was obviously taken from flingomatic and klei forgot to even add a proper showcase. You can't see the range when you hold wobot, instead you see it when placing structures as if it's a flingo. It has uses I guess but all I see is missed potential of what wobot could have been. 

Klei didn't want to make the game like factorio, where everything is automatic, this one they explained why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 1

Bruh, OP needs to calm down

things can be improved, yes, but they way they're phrasing it is like Klei gave out promises for these suggestions to be added when they didn't. You complain about QoLs like the game unplayable without your suggestions, ease up man

"Nobody cares about immersion". Bro speak for yourself. Are you in like a speedrun challenge or something that you want everything done fast, if not, you can always use console commands, your world your rules anyway. Just don't make it the standard gameplay, not everyone plays the way you play

• Like 8
  • Sanity 2

4 hours ago, Tranoze said:

I play games to waste time. When i have a whole night with nothing to do, i skip the night by play the game.
If i dont want to waste my time, i would do something productive, not playing video games.

or maybe you can waste your time on the fun parts of the game instead of justifying tedious parts of the game as "it's just a game and games are supposed to waste your time"

• Like 8
  • Sanity 1
  • GL Happy 1

7 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

or maybe you can waste your time on the fun parts of the game instead of justifying tedious parts of the game as "it's just a game and games are supposed to waste your time"

Without those tedious part, fun part wont be as much fun anymore. If cooking healing food was so easy and fun to the point everyone do nothing but making more healing food, as they are now "fun" but not "tedious", most boss would be like F and eat. Then suddenly fighting bosses become tedious as you have to press F and constantly eating for the entire duration. You no longer need to dodge as you have too much healing food and armor as everyone have so much fun farming them.

• Sanity 1

10 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Without those tedious part, fun part wont be as much fun anymore. If cooking healing food was so easy and fun to the point everyone do nothing but making more healing food, as they are now "fun" but not "tedious", most boss would be like F and eat. Then suddenly fighting bosses become tedious as you have to press F and constantly eating for the entire duration. You no longer need to dodge as you have too much healing food and armor as everyone have so much fun farming them

you still need to get ingredients for healing food so it'll be as inefficient as it currently is and making crock pots is optional anyway while picking grass, twigs etc. isn't nor will allowing to spend less time getting them make the game impactfully easier

Edited by grm9

sounds like skill issue

If you want to make completely different game from dst, why not play different game? Or mods. There is tons of mods that can help you "save time" or whatever. 

I definitely do not want anything from this list

Edited by landromat
  • Like 4
  • GL Happy 1

21 minutes ago, landromat said:

sounds like skill issue

If you want to make completely different game from dst, why not play different game? Or mods. There is tons of mods that can help you "save time" or whatever. 

I definitely do not want anything from this list

Don't ever use lazy forager or shadow reaper or sawhorse ever again, and do everything with your own hands instead. Because using those items sounds to me like a skill issue. 

Just now, Gi-Go said:

Don't ever use lazy forager or shadow reaper or sawhorse ever again, and do everything with your own hands instead. Because using those items sounds to me like a skill issue. 

so install some stuff like Quick pick and enjoy your game. what's the problem?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, landromat said:

so install some stuff like Quick pick and enjoy your game. what's the problem?

Dude, why are you on forums even. Just use mods whenever you feel like something is not right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Dude, why are you on forums even. Just use mods whenever you feel like something is not right. 

Same question for you. That's you who tired of dst, not me

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

1 hour ago, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

Sorta unrelated to the topic, but I hate how often immersion is used as an excuse for bad game design.

And recklessly too.  Its one thing to consider the immersion breaking aspects of revealing health numbers, geo placements etc.  These expose that you're in a game.  Having an item do something a bit odd is not really immersion breaking.  We live in a world where Deerclops' eyeball can be made into an umbrella and a piece of the moon landed in the ocean.  Its not really immersion breaking to have a furnace turn items to their cooked state / ash / charcoal / nothing.

Edited by Yuuko
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, landromat said:

Same question for you. That's you who tired of dst, not me

Who is dissatisfied → Need to tell dissatisfaction to developer → So go to forums

Who isn't dissatisfied → ???

• Sanity 1

Crazy how the things you mentioned are bad for you and waste your time are the very things that I enjoy the most doing while playing the game.

I stopped using the action queue mod because of how boring it is to stare at your screen while your character does everything for you.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, SilverSpoon said:

Who is dissatisfied → Need to tell dissatisfaction to developer → So go to forums

Who isn't dissatisfied → ???

I dissatisfied with these suggestions and i need to tell my dissatisfaction to developer as well 

5 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Without those tedious part, fun part wont be as much fun anymore. If cooking healing food was so easy and fun to the point everyone do nothing but making more healing food, as they are now "fun" but not "tedious", most boss would be like F and eat. Then suddenly fighting bosses become tedious as you have to press F and constantly eating for the entire duration. You no longer need to dodge as you have too much healing food and armor as everyone have so much fun farming them.

To be fair Klei already did tons of things to reduce wasting time in game, like lazy explorer/forager, brightshade and inkblight gear etc.. And IMO they are not bad, I personally always carry a lazy forager with me at all times, simply dropping your backpack to gather some ice or chopping a tree ACTUALLY helps immensively. I think that you're not using it as much, there is no way I'm living in the same world as OP or we're playing the same game even.
But also I feel like if the things OP mentioned are "problems", then the best way to adress them is for Klei to keep adding these types of items. And imo that is a great thing.

I feel like the problem here is inexistent, complaining about having to cook a lot of food and not being able to mass cook them is like saying the game itself is bad, there is no way to counter that except by using mods, Klei won't "fix" this I think, because it is literally the whole game's idea.

Making the game more "creative mode" alike definitely helped with a TON of things imo. Mainly not having to carry grass and twigs, being able to repair armour, not deal with charlie at night and gathering things quicker. But at the same time, where are we going? What if in the end everything get to immensively easy that problems are not problems anymore?

If you wanna ask for easier gameplay I'm with you, but at which point does it makes the game not challenging anymore?

I think those "problems" in specific are too fundamental to actually make it "easier".

If you got accostumed to the cheaty way of the game, you should've never started speeding up your world to begin with, It's a console command for a reason. It isn't supposed to be a game feature.

• Like 4