Can I prevent duplicants from idling in certain areas while still letting them go there for errands?

Dear all,

I am frustrated that my duplicants are constantly idling in areas where I do not want them to idle. There is entire map but they decided to idle:
- inside rocket supplied with oxygen via evaporating oxylite (once I saw 8 out of 12 duplicants idling there),
- in hot areas of oil biome (one or two duplicants are attracted to oil biome and they are going there to idle and taking damage from heat),
- In rooms with duplicant detector alternating my power settings in the rest of the base (again there were several duplicants idling in a small room with Metal Refinery).

I wonder if there is any mod that would allow for designating areas where idling is not allowed?

Thank You,
Sheaker

2 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

Afaik there was a patch not long ago that would see dupes go to rec rooms when they where idle. I might be wrong

They go to rec rooms (or, if there aren't any, to the printing pod) during downtime, not when they're idle in general. Not sure if that behavior is new, though. AFAIK it has been that way since rec rooms became a thing.

The overall idling behavior seems difficult to change. This mod promises to get rid of some of the more annoying consequences, but I haven't tried it myself.

Thank You for Your replies.

5 hours ago, asurendra said:

Hamster wheel with priority 1. Will attract dupes only when they have nothing to do. Dont work with technicians though...

I do not like those hamster wheels, it will not act exactly as I need. I want them sometimes to idle.

2 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

Afaik there was a patch not long ago that would see dupes go to rec rooms when they where idle. I might be wrong

I have recreational room and they are still idling in those ridiculous places.

11 minutes ago, pnambic said:

This mod promises to get rid of some of the more annoying consequences, but I haven't tried it myself.

It is almost what I need. But I need them to leave area if idle. I will try to contact author.

Thanks!

I do believe that Dupes don't like to idle while wearing a mask or suit: they prefer to run back, take off the suit, and idle on the checkpoint if they have nothing better to do. I think it's a measure to prevent Dupes needlessly draining the mask/suit of oxygen.

• Like 2

You can attach a timer to the hamster wheel, to let them off the wheel every 30 seconds (or pick your time). Just make sure the wheels are always active (attach them to a light bulb that is turned off via automation). 

I set up such an area and decor bomb it. My dupes always head to these wheels when they have nothing to do, and then the timer lets them free every 29.8 seconds (I use a 0.2s toggle). You can use a mopping or disinfection gym for technicians.  There are ways to control where they idle, and still make sure they can accept new tasks as needed.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

Since nobody mentioned it: Just put some liquid in the floor. Dupes not in exo-suits prefer not to be standing in liquid. Of course you may get some moral problems with that approach ;-) 

• Like 1