Dlc after final story update?

i prefer new game on an updated game engine, happily to buy it too
including the alpha, DST is 9 years old already, adding more stuff can slowly broke the game 
plus I think the base game itself has too much content already, it could be difficult to add dlc on top of it and make the game progression make sense

16 minutes ago, MikoFanboy said:

DST is 9 years old already, adding more stuff can slowly broke the game 
plus I think the base game itself has too much content already, it could be difficult to add dlc on top of it and make the game progression make sense

yeah, like with terraria for example, its not a matter of if the devs can/want to add it.

Its a matter of if the game can handle it (like the inability of adding more than 3 liquids)

1 hour ago, MikoFanboy said:

i prefer new game on an updated game engine, happily to buy it too
including the alpha, DST is 9 years old already, adding more stuff can slowly broke the game 

Yea i'd prefer sequel to DST.

Can't really update DST like Rotwood they both run on same engine.

but DST can't be updated cuz it'd break all the mods

26 minutes ago, Cliffford W. said:

Yea i'd prefer sequel to DST.

Can't really update DST like Rotwood they both run on same engine.

but DST can't be updated cuz it'd break all the mods

Yeah see.. about that, most game developers don’t really care if your unofficial game content mods break, because- They aren’t actually part of the game and updating/fixing them should be on the mod developers, and not the actual games developers.

There are SEVERAL games on the Xbox Series X/S that started out as only being Xbox One games that got completely free updates that changed their game engine and upgraded the game to Series X/S versions.

Two of those games are State of Decay 2, and The Witcher 3.

Are there any Sea of Thieves players here? If so.. maybe this article on why you needed to install a 100gb patch update may be of interest to you.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2024/02/sea-of-thieves-new-xbox-update-is-almost-100gb-but-theres-a-good-reason-for-it

The game engine for Fortnite was also updated to run on Unreal 5 and uses the Battlefield games Frostbite engine (for lighting and detailed destruction)

My point is that Klei is less likely to make a brand new game, and instead more likely to just upgrade the game engine for DST…

Regardless of how many old mods that might break. That’s not KLEI’s job to fix- It’s the Mod Creators.

• Like 1
  • Wavey 1

53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah see.. about that, most game developers don’t really care if your unofficial game content mods break, because- They aren’t actually part of the game and updating/fixing them should be on the mod developers, and not the actual games developers.

There are SEVERAL games on the Xbox Series X/S that started out as only being Xbox One games that got completely free updates that changed their game engine and upgraded the game to Series X/S versions.

Two of those games are State of Decay 2, and The Witcher 3.

Are there any Sea of Thieves players here? If so.. maybe this article on why you needed to install a 100gb patch update may be of interest to you.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2024/02/sea-of-thieves-new-xbox-update-is-almost-100gb-but-theres-a-good-reason-for-it

The game engine for Fortnite was also updated to run on Unreal 5 and uses the Battlefield games Frostbite engine (for lighting and detailed destruction)

My point is that Klei is less likely to make a brand new game, and instead more likely to just upgrade the game engine for DST…

Regardless of how many old mods that might break. That’s not KLEI’s job to fix- It’s the Mod Creators.

Yeah would get rid of all those (insert popular character here) mods.

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei is absolutely not most developers.

Klei is one of the ONLY companies I've ever come across that has put as much effort into keeping their game afloat whilst also making sure us modders don't sink.

If I were to sit down and shift through and list every single little change, from code tweaks, entire function rewrites, asset updates, and... so forth, I'd be here for a while.
I currently can't imagine Klei making any major changes that completely throw out their modding scene without a care.

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Whilst this may technically be true in some fashion, it's not something Klei works by.

The amount of times they've went out of their way to change things to prevent older mods from breaking is again, countless! Klei is totally amazing when it comes to keeping us afloat!

• Like 10

Just now, EATZYOWAFFLEZ said:

Ah yes, the game that's on its final, final, final, final... update.

Pushing limits.

Eventually the engine will stop them.

Eventually...

• Like 1
  • Wavey 1

Those DLC would be garbaggio if they just try to mishmash them together on the surface shard like they did with the ruins, and if they're adding more shards to servers I would much, much, much prefer they re-separate the caves & ruins. I think porting the DLC is a waste of time, you can just play Don't Starve if you want to play the DLC. It'll be a way better experience than whatever they try to scrounge together to function in the multiplayer branch. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Copyafriend said:

Mike dont talk about things you know nothing about, cmon man, just because YOU dont mod doesn’t mean klei doesnt care about mods.

Understand me very clearly, I did not say that they DONT care about your mods, hell 90% of the games recent updates have been pulled from mods.. 

I said that they SHOULDN’T NEED TO CARE. There’s a difference there…

And let’s say Klei sold majority of their shares to a larger company who wanted them to do things in a way Klei has no say over, (not saying that has or will ever happen..) But if it ever did, I doubt the newer company would be so courteous as Klei are with Unofficial player made contents.

• Wavey 1

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wouldn't they have to rewrite every single file if they change the game engine? If not it wouldn't have any impact on mods anyways, the game itself is like a mod, in terms of structure

Edited by _zwb

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I said that they SHOULDN’T NEED TO CARE. 

they should though, mod often is the thing that keep the game alive and sometime make game popular 
Minecaft wouldn't be this popular if not for countless mods were made
Even Terraria dev realze this and work with fan to allow tModLoader 
Klei also knew this too, back in the early day of Dont Starve, mod is the thing that keep Dont Starve alive before each big update 

I remember the time I was so bored of the game but then I saw a mod spotlight from Noise Berry Games and decide to open DS to play with that mod