About upgrade for chests关于箱子升级

An upgrade item for chests has been added to let stack sizes inside of the chest get infinitely large using late game materials.

关于箱子升级存在一个很大的隐患,在多人服务器中,如果箱子里储存了几千个物品,当箱子被破坏时,服务器会不会卡死甚至崩溃?

There is a big potential problem with chest upgrades. In a multiplayer server, if there are thousands of items stored in a chest, will the server freeze or even crash when the chest is destroyed?

• Like 2

i guess yes, and items inside still has much possibility to drop caused of chest burned or antlion's sinkhole in daily games.

15 minutes ago, Littlefat1213 said:

i guess yes, and items inside still has much possibility to drop caused of chest burned or antlion's sinkhole in daily games.

i hope Klei just double the stacksize instead of make it infinite. It's enough and still helpful.

Edited by Littlefat1213

51 minutes ago, Littlefat1213 said:

hope Klei just double the stacksize instead of make it infinite. It's enough and still helpful.

The point of making infinity stack is to reduce the number of stacks. Wont fix any performance issue increasing the stacks of the chests

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Littlefat1213 said:

i hope Klei just double the stacksize instead of make it infinite. It's enough and still helpful.

definitely not enough

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the purpose of testing i filled an upgraded chest full of items that had various stack sizes (somewhere close to 10k items maybe a little more):

many.png.a2d12c6695d56aadbf8589617bd25214.png

and exploded it with a single gunpowder:

notmuchlag.png.2a79f56bb2bb574c9b4f19e81335f551.png

The game only lagged for a second when it recalculated stack sizes so unless you have a toaster as a computer then you will be fine.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 1

its make me wonder if this possible (?)... even when the accident happen it still drop as a stack with the bigger number but if u want to pick up u still picking normal stack number each time.. 
example it drop one big of 999+ stack of rocks but when u want to move it u still pick 40 each time ? maybe that can happen ? so there no sudden lag/crash cus a large number of item exploded into separated stacks on the ground? 
cus case also might drop someone FPS really bad.

• Like 1

Make the ungraded chest the same as Hamlet houses, you need special tools(brightshade smasher?) to fully demolish it, otherwise items inside doesn't drop.

Maybe extend this idea to make a generic structure upgrade for decor?

Edited by _zwb
  • Like 5

Maybe one solution is to make the 999+ stack items stay 999+ even when forced out of the container when its destroyed. Only when the player interacts with a 999+ stacks they only pick up the max stack size of that item.

Edited by -Nick-
minor spelling mistake AAAAAAA
  • Like 3
  • Sanity 1

chest broken

=> single-slot-bundling-wrap x 9 (not flamable) (not visually identifiable)

=> can carry each bundle around

=> must use bundling animation

=> can only take stuff out but can't put stuff back in

=> storing it in another high chest will unbundle the items.

• Big Ups 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

For the purpose of testing i filled an upgraded chest full of items that had various stack sizes (somewhere close to 10k items maybe a little more):
为了测试,我装满了一个升级后的箱子,里面装满了各种堆栈大小的物品(接近 10k 个物品,也许更多):

many.png.a2d12c6695d56aadbf8589617bd25214.png

and exploded it with a single gunpowder:
并用一枚火药炸毁了它:

notmuchlag.png.2a79f56bb2bb574c9b4f19e81335f551.png

The game only lagged for a second when it recalculated stack sizes so unless you have a toaster as a computer then you will be fine.
游戏在重新计算堆栈大小时只滞后了一秒钟,所以除非你有一台烤面包机作为电脑,否则你会没事的。

单个玩家和多个玩家,是不一样的。
There's a difference between a single player and multiple players.

Edited by xiaochency

I wouldn’t really be concerned about it too much. Yeah, i’m sure if you took the time to store tens of thousands of items in a chest and hammered it, it would probably cause a bit of lag. But also, you can do that by simply putting the stacks on the ground…

Realistically at the point you are getting the chest and using them you probably are in a lategame server, so the only real issue would be if a griefer came over and smashed/brought over a mob to smash the chest, which is quite unlikely (and, well, you can just ban them after that occurs).

• Like 1

Unintentional griefing also happens, as it was mentioned before antlion attacks or spawning deerclops.  The main issue I see is having to re-locate all dropped items, which depending on the amounts, it can take real life hours.
It could even be worse than having your whole base smashed, and only with a single chest broken or burned.

16 hours ago, goatt said:

chest broken

=> single-slot-bundling-wrap x 9 (not flamable) (not visually identifiable)

=> can carry each bundle around

=> must use bundling animation

=> storing it in another high chest will unbundle the items.

i like these kind of approaches to solve that.

Option B is that the chest cant burn or be smashed due to being “magic” and you can only relocate it if its empty, and if you hammer it with the lunar hammer thingie. If it’s on a boat and the boat breaks then IDK, it turns into a special sunken chest?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

it turns into a special sunken chest?

Still need to handle the massive amount of sprites when the sunken chest is hammered. I think it's essential to have some sort of one-slot temporary storage to tame massive amount of sprites.

20 hours ago, goatt said:

This defeats the purpose of having less portable stack sizes past normal limits. If it were a giant bundle that could be dropped in the chests to release its contents it would work in case you want to conveniently relocate the chest and its contents.

3 hours ago, Popian said:

This defeats the purpose of having less portable stack sizes past normal limits. If it were a giant bundle that could be dropped in the chests to release its contents it would work in case you want to conveniently relocate the chest and its contents.

What purpose does it defeat? Sorry, I don't understand. 

3 hours ago, goatt said:

What purpose does it defeat? Sorry, I don't understand. 

Having 999+ of an item accessible through a stationary chest over your inventory. You could use this bundle to store Volt Goat Chaud-Froid and remove Warly's advantage of having easier access to it for everyday use.

Edited by Popian

2 hours ago, Popian said:

You could use this bundle to store Volt Goat Chaud-Froid and remove Warly's advantage of having easier access to it for everyday use.

That's true.

Then make this one-slot bundle carry-able in inventory, but cannot be opened unless when it's stored in a regular chest or scaled chest.

When it's in a upgraded chest, it can be released.

Btw, this bundle doesn't prevent food from rotting. I'm only referencing to that mechanics, specifically, a mechanic that can carry things around but prevent you from accessing its content directly.

So, the new version will be:

chest break

=> drop 9 one-slot bundles

=> the bundle doesn't require grass, it doesn't wrap or unwrap. It just requires extra animation (extra effort) to use.

=> the bundle cannot be opened unless it's in a chest

=> the bundle does not prevent food from rotting.

=> If the bundle contains food, the food inside rotting rate is the same as nake food rotting rate. When placed on ground, food content rot the same rate as food that's left on ground

=> When placed in a chest, you can access stuff inside the bundle

=> When placed in an upgraded chest, you can unbundle the bundle

This will make sure 999 stacks can only be access in chests of some form, but not in inventory.

And this will make sure regular chests cannot stack items beyond regular stack size.

And this will prevent the breaking of the new chest dropping massive amount of items.

If I remember correctly, klei mentioned they made too many items in a small space have less of an impact on performance, which I imagine was made for this exact situation.

• Like 1