Scrappy Scavengers now on the Beta branch on Steam.

On 3/9/2024 at 4:44 AM, GLERMZ said:

I would have rather give buffs to abilities that make WormWood palystyle different than trying to counter one of his downsides. I would rather not have this and have the Bloom Bonus that was removed this patch. WormWood is a character with a lot of downsides, and a lot of counters to his upsides and that is totally fine and part of why i love the character so much, but i would say most of us Wormwood players want is the Upsides to actually get better and being worthy all the counters and downsides we have. We were fine without passive health re-gen :) 

I totally agreee with you on this one. Photosynthesis just looks like a really boring way to make his downside less harsh. Not only it's additional option to regen health it's also just passive and takes 0 involvement from the player to use other than getting the skill. 

I, as you said, would rather have the skill be some new upside/perk that doesn't exist just to make it easier to get health. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FourthLess said:

I totally agreee with you on this one. Photosynthesis just looks like a really boring way to make his downside less harsh. Not only it's additional option to regen health it's also just passive and takes 0 involvement from the player to use other than getting the skill. 

I, as you said, would rather have the skill be some new upside/perk that doesn't exist just to make it easier to get health. 

I'll make an addendum and say the same to Wortox: it wasn't cool for Klei to put him on to gain sanity. It's okay for him to have a problem with this and it's a downside to him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Castiliano said:

I'll make an addendum and say the same to Wortox: it wasn't cool for Klei to put him on to gain sanity. It's okay for him to have a problem with this and it's a downside to him.

it isn't because his only upside is teleporting which often forces you to waste more time than it saves to use it and being forced to use inferior food and waste time killing nightmares makes him worse than wilson

12 minutes ago, grm9 said:

it isn't because his only upside is teleporting which often forces you to waste more time than it saves to use it and being forced to use inferior food and waste time killing nightmares makes him worse than wilson

You ever played Guidus? No.. well say hello to my favorite character class- Her special skill is a Charged Teleport strike to a random enemy that’s closest to her.

Spoiler

IMG_6372.thumb.gif.2b45fa4c0856870e722b526e053c356e.gif

If Wigfrid can get sheild Bash, spear dash and Woodie can get Beaver tail slam.

Theres no one on these entire forums that can convince me Wortox does not deserve the teleporting strike.

And I don’t care how OP or broken it would be… that’s Klei’s job to Balance it, not mine.

My job is simply to suggest something I believe fits well for the character (Wortox)

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Thanks 1
  • Wavey 1

10 hours ago, Castiliano said:

if you mean the 1-5 sanity gain from healing from souls? that is... such an inefficient way to get sanity. it doesnt really remove the fact that he still lose sanity from eating them if you dont have stews, then theres also the fact that 20 is the most souls he can have at a time, most of the time the bit of sanity doesn't matter.

if you mean the halved sanity aura from any negative aura, its more of a hinderence as bq crown will give half the sanity compared to other characters and makes ancient fuelweaver rlly awful (not only that but theres code to specifically stop wortox from canceling mind control attack for some dumb reason?)

theres no (or near 0) benefit from either. the only way i can use the sanity gain from soul healing is if i team up with a teammate (wigfrid/wormwood for bramble husk/weremoose) and fight bq and use cc crown, other than that its useless

9 minutes ago, IAmAFurrz said:

theres code to specifically stop wortox from canceling mind control attack

are you sure about that? it seems like this isn't the case and wortox just becomes invincible and impossible to attack unlike the lazy explorer, which just hides the player for less than a second, resetting aggro and mind control 

20 minutes ago, grm9 said:

are you sure about that? it seems like this isn't the case and wortox just becomes invincible and impossible to attack unlike the lazy explorer, which just hides the player for less than a second, resetting aggro and mind control 

trust me, i have played wortox for very long. the mind control code is specifically to stop wortox from canceling mind control (literally EVERY character can with lazy explorer and can be used for strats that just go balls to the walls with insanity), whether he tps with souls or lazy explorer. wortox is kinda really really REALLY bad in that fight its insane, ive practiced that fight a lot and wortox is one of the worse characters to use bc halved sanity gain from food so double the eating time (usually in fights you dont need to care but with wortox bq crown is so bad, even when you hug AF and soul hop to kite his attacks its still so bad since you can overflow constantly from woven shadows (more than 20 spawn, and ironically the 2nd soul hop with CD made it so he cant throw souls away faster without just dumping them all with a full inventory and RMB with them in the mouse slot) and sanity is absolutely an issue with him in this fight

Edited by IAmAFurrz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You ever played Guidus? No.. well say hello to my favorite character class- Her special skill is a Charged Teleport strike to a random enemy that’s closest to her.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_6372.thumb.gif.2b45fa4c0856870e722b526e053c356e.gif

If Wigfrid can get sheild Bash, spear dash and Woodie can get Beaver tail slam.

Theres no one on these entire forums that can convince me Wortox does not deserve the teleporting strike.

And I don’t care how OP or broken it would be… that’s Klei’s job to Balance it, not mine.

My job is simply to suggest something I believe fits well for the character (Wortox)

Nah. It's a bit of a weird mechanic for DST, especially with how aggro works. Plus Guidus is known for being power fantasy, you can ban blessings because they're so strong and broken. 

Also.... it's auto-combat.... nice try Mike, you a like a game that has nothing remotely to do with DST. I'm glad you like it.

Edited by Uedo
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, grm9 said:

There were many people complaining that it was "difficult" to control Wortox's sanity, etc. So, Klei's solution is to introduce something incoherent to the character and his downside, instead of letting the players learn to deal with it.

3 hours ago, IAmAFurrz said:

if you mean the 1-5 sanity gain from healing from souls? that is... such an inefficient way to get sanity. it doesnt really remove the fact that he still lose sanity from eating them if you dont have stews, then theres also the fact that 20 is the most souls he can have at a time, most of the time the bit of sanity doesn't matter.

if you mean the halved sanity aura from any negative aura, its more of a hinderence as bq crown will give half the sanity compared to other characters and makes ancient fuelweaver rlly awful (not only that but theres code to specifically stop wortox from canceling mind control attack for some dumb reason?)

theres no (or near 0) benefit from either. the only way i can use the sanity gain from soul healing is if i team up with a teammate (wigfrid/wormwood for bramble husk/weremoose) and fight bq and use cc crown, other than that its useless

Yes, it makes a lot of difference. The amount you mention is the amount of just one soul, but by dropping several, his sanity goes up a lot. Klei wanted to help beginners who had difficulty, but it certainly made the character more superficial.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Castiliano said:

There were many people complaining that it was "difficult" to control Wortox's sanity, etc. So, Klei's solution is to introduce something incoherent to the character and his downside, instead of letting the players learn to deal with it.

Yes, it makes a lot of difference. The amount you mention is the amount of just one soul, but by dropping several, his sanity goes up a lot. Klei wanted to help beginners who had difficulty, but it certainly made the character more superficial.

Klei certainly has a very weird design philosophy that’s for sure. You as the player get used to the way a character plays and maybe you’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos on say for example Wormwood being the “Challenge” character and having a hard time healing, but then Klei does something weird.. like give the character passive health regen, that defeats your entire purpose of buying them to be a “challenge” character.

I guess it made the character more accessible to less skilled players but still.. it feels wrong.

And I usually go off on a long TL:DR tangent here, but instead I’m just going to simply say that I’m okay with “The Forum Voices” being able to influence the design (and redesign) of characters as long as they stick exclusively to DST and never ever ever EVER under any circumstances, go back and change anything at all about the way they play in Solo Don’t Starve.

DS wasn’t sold as a Live Service game, & while technically DST wasn’t either- DST feels like it became one over the years..

So just do me one huge favor Klei, you can completely mess up everything you want about DST… just don’t touch the prized jewel that was the original DS.

• Like 1
  • Wavey 2

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

Klei certainly has a very weird design philosophy that’s for sure. You as the player get used to the way a character plays and maybe you’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos on say for example Wormwood being the “Challenge” character and having a hard time healing, but then Klei does something weird.. like give the character passive health regen, that defeats your entire purpose of buying them to be a “challenge” character.

I guess it made the character more accessible to less skilled players but still.. it feels wrong.

And I usually go off on a long TL:DR tangent here, but instead I’m just going to simply say that I’m okay with “The Forum Voices” being able to influence the design (and redesign) of characters as long as they stick exclusively to DST and never ever ever EVER under any circumstances, go back and change anything at all about the way they play in Solo Don’t Starve.

DS wasn’t sold as a Live Service game, & while technically DST wasn’t either- DST feels like it became one over the years..

So just do me one huge favor Klei, you can completely mess up everything you want about DST… just don’t touch the prized jewel that was the original DS.

I don't think WW is the challenge character, or was.

What are even saladmanders for if I can just beat hordes with husk and they stand no chance against bosses. Weak ones like deerclops decimate saladmanders without even aiming at them, that's how it is with followers against area attack enemies. Carrat holding a tiny spear would be better if it ran away when you don't attack and approached enemy when you do attack thanks to their speed they could effectively dodge like that dependently on your skill.   
Just saying that slow follower that is destined to be squishy, slow, uncontrollable is fundamentally doo doo.  

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I feel like your wish will definitely come true, in that they've already decided to stop providing content updates on it

at best you'll get a fraction of other QoLs and mostly bugfixes

Edited by mykenception
  • Health 1

15 hours ago, Cassielu said:

I'm curious about it. Any clue?

I thought it was just some silly thing about vanishing time and detection intervals.

When you have low sanity, FW does a mind control atrack to stop you from being able to do anything. To circumvent this people found out that telepoofing with lazy explorer onto any spot on screen will cancel it if timed correctly. 

The reason wortox was specifically aimed at with this dumb code (reason was told by a friend that has played him since his beta) is bc people on forums said his teleports were overpowered and enabled that cancel a lot so klei put it in as a counter to specifically him. 

Idk if the reason is correct as i havent checked out the past (far too far back) but i can assure you the code is definitely there

16 hours ago, Castiliano said:

If you put it that way, only a specific skill level would actually know to use it since if you mean NEW new players, they wont even know how to amass souls, spiders come in hoards of 3 at least and dogs arent too common/hound mounds are basically a death sentence to them, as well as not knowing how to kill butterflies.

If its a veteran playing, they'd rather use it for traveling, since healing and sanity is far below the priority list

So itd have to be a new player, who knows that souls do infact give sanity btw thats usually lost in the sound fx and the amount is so little they might not even know, as well as know how to farm souls easily, along with not using him to get to a goal like a veteran of the game would.

Tbh idk who the sanity is supposed to help 

the changes to shadowfire are nice and the aiming is good on controller is also good. a small suggestion. when using the spear and shield ability on wig let us attack out of it, cancel, or use the ability with the attack button instead of the use button. its a bit odd that the interaction switches the left button to the bottom button when readying the abilities for shield and spear. rn the attack button does nothing at all if you are readying an ability from them