Current late game is flawed

Am I against polar bearger bin? No. I love it.

Is the item hard to acquire for what it does? Absolutely.

Is this format equal for other new so called Late Game Items? Not really.

In my opinion, we have too many REWARDS compared to how hard it is to get them, that is my problem. You can say that killing the celestial champion and doing all pearl quests IS the hard part about it, but these are just the steps to get there. I also thought it worked like that, but it's to vague.

So, again, I am not against making the game easier with these items, as long as it is as equally hard to acquire them. Like the game ALWAYS was, even until last arc, 1 year ago.

One example that I think it's too easy to get is the brightshade gear. It is by far THE BEST gear we've ever seen in the game, better than any mod could ever give us. But you just have to mine lunar rocks and kill brightshades.

Grazers are really bad in trying to stop you from mining pure brilliance. And brightshades are hard literally only the first time you encounter them, then it is just "hit vine, flower opens, hit flower". Are you telling me that this is all?

In the balance of gameplay, if I list every BS gear feature, it looks insanely off. People are only not complaining because it is good for them, if it was the other way around in the scale, EVERYONE would be trashing Klei.

They are so annoying also, that they had to make an item focused only in making resources turn into decoration because of how unfair it was.

Uncompromissing ≠ Unfair.

So I believe there exists a world where the game wouldn't feel neither too easy, nor too hard for these late-game features.

Wanna get rid of Lunar hail? Stand besides a tree..................................................... Even hound waves are harder to deal with than this.......

That's the inconsistency that I think shouldn't exist.

My suggestion? Creative ways to deal with it!

Make lunar hail destroy fences, walls, structures and anything really. Make Lunar hail have 3 stages like the nightmare phase, and only the middle stage would hurt structures, then remove the tree blocking it and make it last for longer. Add a Lunar variant of the Wax Spray to apply to structures so they are immune to it, and make it so they cost infused moon shards, be rechargable and apply in an area effect. If Lunar Hail was uncompromising like this from the beginning, but had ways to deal with it, literally everyone would be defending it, but because it is a suggestion from a player and it was easier before, then it would feel awful. Klei had 0 consideration with how the dst worlds works after rifts. Why make the game a sort of "creative mode land" if the warning before activating rifts says otherwise?

Now, if Klei (some miracle happens) add this suggestion, even I would think the game got worse, why? Because it was easier before to begin with. THAT is the problem, if it was hard from the begining, most people would say "fair enough, BS gear is otherworldly amazing anyways". That's the price you gotta pay for it.

Here's an ugly graph that I did just because lol.

image.png.2278eae2df084fe565a0ff17ce50de0b.png

• Haha 4

I prefer the hamlet system (and old dst and sw) where you can access everything from day 1. You can take a different route every time. Dst's new lategame progression is "do this do that, almost exactly like this" even if you can do it in a slightly different order, you are doing it all to get to one stage, for one thing. In old ds system, what you consider "end game" is up to you, no final bosses, most the bosses are similar in power. It is up to you what the final boss is, wether it be the iron hulk, ancient harold, the quacken, or even bearger.

Edited by Jakepeng99
  • Like 9
  • Big Ups 1

Agree on the BS gear. Only the armor is underwhelming without wormwood's perk

Specially BS staff and BS helmet are totally imba. The staff trivialize every combat against numerous enemies which is what most players struggle and the helmet is bloated with perks one of them being nullifying abd entire mechanic. This wouldn't be bad if wasnt because how common are the materials... there is no downside, with previous good items you had downsides like cost, needing to go far away to craft more or sanity drain

Polar Bearger bin is that big of a deal, is just more confortable to use for daily munching but bundle wraps are way superior and you get them far faster and without needing to kill 5 bosses to get it

• Like 1

So here’s the thing, DST is a Multiplayer game, it isn’t designed.. nor is it intended to be played Alone, sure you CAN play Alone.. and you’ll have a decently fun time doing so, you may even find yourself challenged when otherwise you would not be.

But the fact still remains that the game is designed around the intention that you’ll be playing with other people. Because of this, certain parts of the game can be a bit of a grind, an extreme bore.. or completely unfair.

Ya’ll know my stance on DSTs Boss fights, but what you probably don’t know is that in most other games I generally enjoy the boss fights. In fact there’s a few mobile RogueLites I’m playing right now that have some pretty fun boss fights, Otherworld Champions, Rogue Land, & Dungeon Slashers.

The thing here though, is that these boss fights are most scripted, meaning they’ll do a few attacks, some fancy on screen warning indicators to dodge out of the way before your hit by the bosses abilities will pop up, they’ll miss hitting you a few times and exhaust themselves out leaving them vulnerable for attack.

This is pretty much the definition of all great boss fights.

RogueLite/Like games have bosses, but they generally don’t have enormous health pools so you spend 45 minutes or more fighting them, instead they tend to do massive damage & hit like a truck.

Remember when I said DST was designed to be a Multiplayer game? Yeah well it shows through out so many areas..

Pearls extremely long & tedious RPG for the NPC quest is significantly easier when 2-3 players focus on doing the tasks required but separately (one player goes to gather a certain set of house upgrades, another the second half, third goes to fetch the CC totem parts, etc..)

All of this makes the task “faster” with a group of players as Klei intended, but it is a slow, boring slog doing it all alone.

Then there’s the actual bosses themselves, who will split their attacks (& endless minion spam) up between the players involved in the fight, so usually when for example Dragonfly stops chasing and attempting to slap player X, player Y has time to heal up and go through the animations of healing, using Panflutes etc.. Some of them also tend to have healing animations, so if there isn’t a player constantly attacking it- Then your entire progress fighting it can reset itself.

Unlocking Brightshade gear (without just turning rifts on through settings) requires the player to reach maximum friendship with Pearl, kill the most annoying boss in the game (CrabKing) do a lunar moon stone horde defense mini game to get a Star Staff, Deconstruct said star staff to obtain its multi colored Easter egg (you can skip the horde mini game/staff if you just create said Easter egg by playing as Wilson) Obtain Alter parts, use a weird device that points a way point towards buried alter parts, gather & assemble said alter parts, Do Wagstaff funny event, Fight a Moon god boss, give shard to Wagstaff to activate rift.

Or the TL:DR- This is all just a long Grindy AF quest to give people playing multiplayer and can split the tasks up amongst their group something to do, but my personal issue with it is that…

NOTHING YOU DO PRIOR TO OPENING RIFTS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH RIFT CONTENT.

Like literally… rifts could start by themselves naturally in their freaking own by like year 3 or something of the player having survived, and nothing is going to change….

You want to know why?

Because your very first Interaction with Rift Content is where you’ll obtain the items and gear to deal with future rift content.

Anything prior to that, was just Klei giving you random stuff to go do before you could play with new game content.

None of it seems to have any connection, besides maybe some tidbits of story lore.

I don’t “need” Opal gems outside of doing that ONE puzzle down in the archives, I don’t “Need” Pearls Pearl outside of using it to buff the Crab Boss & then give it back to Pearl, I don’t even “need” any of Wagstaff Moonstorm shenanigan stuff-

Because Lunar Rift content only interacts with Lunar Rift Content.

Its literally fighting a Pigman for has ham and skin to build football helmets and Hambats to make killing future Pigmen easier.

I know people aren’t going to see my point of view, and that’s fine.. But I have every right to express my point of views & I don’t need the “Git Gud Gang” trying to invalidate them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So here’s the thing, DST is a Multiplayer game, it isn’t designed.. nor is it intended to be played Alone, sure you CAN play Alone.. and you’ll have a decently fun time doing so, you may even find yourself challenged when otherwise you would not be.

But the fact still remains that the game is designed around the intention that you’ll be playing with other people. Because of this, certain parts of the game can be a bit of a grind, an extreme bore.. or completely unfair.

Ya’ll know my stance on DSTs Boss fights, but what you probably don’t know is that in most other games I generally enjoy the boss fights. In fact there’s a few mobile RogueLites I’m playing right now that have some pretty fun boss fights, Otherworld Champions, Rogue Land, & Dungeon Slashers.

The thing here though, is that these boss fights are most scripted, meaning they’ll do a few attacks, some fancy on screen warning indicators to dodge out of the way before your hit by the bosses abilities will pop up, they’ll miss hitting you a few times and exhaust themselves out leaving them vulnerable for attack.

RogueLite/Like games have bosses, but they generally don’t have enormous health pools so you spend 45 minutes or more fighting them, instead they tend to do massive damage & hit like a truck.

Remember when I said DST was designed to be a Multiplayer game? Yeah well it shows through out so many areas..

Pearls extremely long & tedious RPG for the NPC quest is significantly easier when 2-3 players focus on doing the tasks required but separately (one player goes to gather a certain set of house upgrades, another the second half, third goes to fetch the CC totem parts, etc..)

All of this makes the task “faster” with a group of players as Klei intended, but it is a slow, boring slog doing it all alone.

Then there’s the actual bosses themselves, who will split their attacks (& endless minion spam) up between the players involved in the fight, so usually when for example Dragonfly stops chasing and attempting to slap player X, player Y has time to heal up and go through the animations of healing, using Panflutes etc.. Some of them also tend to have healing animations, so if there isn’t a player constantly attacking it- Then your entire progress fighting it can reset itself.

Unlocking Brightshade gear (without just turning rifts on through settings) requires the player to reach maximum friendship with Pearl, kill the most annoying boss in the game (CrabKing) do a lunar moon stone horde defense mini game to get a Star Staff, Deconstruct said star staff to obtain its multi colored Easter egg (you can skip the horde mini game/staff if you just create said Easter egg by playing as Wilson) Obtain Alter parts, use a weird device that points a way point towards buried alter parts, gather & assemble said alter parts, Do Wagstaff funny event, Fight a Moon god boss, give shard to Wagstaff to activate rift.

Or the TL:DR- This is all just a long Grindy AF quest to give people playing multiplayer and can split the tasks up amongst their group something to do, but my personal issue with it is that…

Like literally… rifts could start by themselves naturally in their freaking own by like year 3 or something of the player having survived, and nothing is going to change….

You want to know why?

Because your very first Interaction with Rift Content is where you’ll obtain the items and gear to deal with future rift content.

Anything prior to that, was just Klei giving you random stuff to go do before you could play with new game content.

None of it seems to have any connection, besides maybe some tidbits of story lore.

I don’t “need” Opal gems outside of doing that ONE puzzle down in the archives, I don’t “Need” Pearls Pearl outside of using it to buff the Crab Boss & then give it back to Pearl, I don’t even “need” any of Wagstaff Moonstorm shenanigan stuff-

Its literally fighting a Pigman for has ham and skin to build football helmets and Hambats to make killing future Pigmen easier.

I know people aren’t going to see my point of view, and that’s fine.. But I have every right to express my point of views & I don’t need the “Git Gud Gang” trying to invalidate them.

I agree 100%.

There is no reason to kill crab king, do pearls quests, collect an iridescent gem etc.. besides activating rifts and entering late-game. So maybe that is an argument to say that BS gear is the reward of that. But this doesn't justify the effort to get them after opening rifts being too little, and other enviroment things being low impact or non existent.

Maybe there could be a world where a crab king drop like the trident could be upgraded after rifts, similar to adding a restrained static to the elden spear.

3 months ago I talked about making pig skin and nightmare fuel upgradeable instead of simply adding a new item called pure horror or brightshade husk. That would be way better since old content would actually influence new content.

I already gave them soo many cool suggestions, from the origin of meese/geese to a whole new ocean rush similar to ruins rush.

Imagine gems and a middle station but for the ocean? Glass cutter and other moon water morphing abilities. Only focusing on mid game.

• Like 2

This is the early late game. There is much more content to be added and our only comparison currently is pre rift. Give klei time, development isn't a quick thing when your developers care about the game they are making.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ChintzyGnat said:

This is the early late game. There is much more content to be added and our only comparison currently is pre rift. Give klei time, development isn't a quick thing when your developers care about the game they are making.

RoT be like "give klei time" 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I mean even the new so called “Late-Game” Gear can only be obtained by fighting the “Late-Game” Bosses.. Even if a player opts to turn rifts on Early in world settings, they still have to deal with Rift content in the SAME EXACT WAY as someone who activated it through normal unlocking methods.

This is why I don’t really feel too badly about turning rifts on in day 1 worlds, A player who enables rifts through world settings still has to actually fight the new Lunar Horror Bosses to obtain their loot drops.

In fact I would even argue that players who do the content the intended way will have a significantly easier time, because they’ll have all this good armor and gear and late game stuff like CC crowns and what-not..

But someone who turns rifts on early, who probably barely had the resources ready to deal with Default versions of these bosses, now have to deal with their mutated variations as well.

Or the TL:DR- Rifts on from Day 1 means you’ll need to prioritize getting Brightshade Gear before you even obtain your first Eyebrella from Regular Deerclops.

You guys discredit the hell out of me for not “Jumping through the hoops” but I want you to understand that I know exactly what those “Hoops” are and I’ve experienced them, but I’ve also experienced what not being ready for Acid Rain means.. when you haven’t even killed your first Deerclops to get an Eyebrella that will help you deal with it better.

• Like 2

What?

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

they still have to deal with Rift content in the SAME EXACT WAY 

In fact I would even argue that players who do the content the intended way will have a significantly easier time..

But someone who turns rifts on early, who probably barely had the resources ready to deal with Default versions of these bosses, 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

What?

A justification for turning the game easier by turning rifts on day one when nobody asked so in other thread can say how megabasers wants an easy and chill experience

• Haha 2

After 14k posts, mike colapses on the ground. In his last attempt to change the route klei is taking, he rumbles in the forums for his last post.

• Wavey 3

31 minutes ago, Well-met said:

hard disagree. BS gear is proportional to how annoying and persistent deadly brightshades are.

So? Is like old hound waves giving top tier armor just because they came so often

Bs are easy and everywhere and pure brillance is gather easily still both gives the best gear in the game

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The more updates klei brings the more the games become balanced arround 1 player...

• Big Ups 2

What

9 hours ago, Swiyss said:

In my opinion, we have too many REWARDS compared to how hard it is to get them, that is my problem. You can say that killing the celestial champion and doing all pearl quests IS the hard part about it, but these are just the steps to get there. I also thought it worked like that, but it's to vague.

So, again, I am not against making the game easier with these items, as long as it is as equally hard to acquire them. Like the game ALWAYS was, even until last arc, 1 year ago.

I disagree with that a bit. A lot of the very strong items could be looted in the ruins. In just one trip, you can get:

• The strongest head slot armor pre rifts
  • One of the strongest body armors pre rifts
  • A consistent 20% speed buff and light chest slot item
  • The best "semi" portable light/heat source in the game
  • The ability to duplicate materials and/or craft rare items at half the cost

The game has always had a bit of an imbalance when it came to "strong" items. Take the weaver, for example. You get the actual best body armor in the game, an extremely good nightmare fuel/insanity source that will only break if you take enough damage, and a thurible to do various things with the other 2 skeletons, along with making the fight with the boss you just killed much easier, all from the same boss. By comparison, Misery toad at best gave you the blueprint for napsacks, which it's main use is using as a dupe material to make mushlights which up until CC could only be reliably powered with festive lights from winters feast.

I will say that I do agree from all of this that the brightshade helm is a bit silly, but it is important to remember that until the QOL that added repair kits it and the rest of the brightshade/shadow sets were almost useless in a post CC world. It was more reliable to use pre rift gear for most content and only use the new gear for the planar content, which felt a bit backwards. If you want my cents on the matter, I would probably take away the gestalt immunity perk from the helm (since the crown does that) and keep the armor having the perk, so it stood out a bit more. In addition, making it so the void cowl had another secondary perk aside from just buffing the reaper would also be very nice.

Wanna get rid of Lunar hail? Stand besides a tree..................................................... Even hound waves are harder to deal with than this.......

I mean if you want to spend 90 seconds standing under a tree and not doing anything productive, then you can do that. For the most part though, you likely are still gonna want counters to it to plan ahead if you wanna continue doing survival things without getting interrupted all the time, and in the endgame that is the last thing you want to be concerned about.

My suggestion? Creative ways to deal with it!

Make lunar hail destroy fences, walls, structures and anything really. Make Lunar hail have 3 stages like the nightmare phase, and only the middle stage would hurt structures, then remove the tree blocking it and make it last for longer. Add a Lunar variant of the Wax Spray to apply to structures so they are immune to it, and make it so they cost infused moon shards, be rechargable and apply in an area effect. If Lunar Hail was uncompromising like this from the beginning, but had ways to deal with it, literally everyone would be defending it, but because it is a suggestion from a player and it was easier before, then it would feel awful. Klei had 0 consideration with how the dst worlds works after rifts. Why make the game a sort of "creative mode land" if the warning before activating rifts says otherwise?

Would this really improve things? Why do you want fences and walls of all things to be broken??? This doesn't impose anything "hard", and only serves to add destruction for the purpose of adding a counter to stop the mechanic you just added from working in the first place. Klei rarely does things like that. The pillars they added, for instance, apart from stopping the shadow rift boulders, also just outright stop earthquakes, and those are also obtainable pre rifts. It's a great way to stop an early threat and a later threat simultaneously.

Also yes, Klei does care about base builders, even post rifts. Do you really want another scenario where a streamer like Glermz saves an album of unfair base destruction from lunar rifts because they were spawning inside of his base?

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Swiyss said:

And brightshades are hard literally only the first time you encounter them,

…isn’t this how progression is supposed to work?

you kill an enemy, get their loot, become stronger, and now they’re easier to kill. That’s how these things work. I don’t see the problem here.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t “need” Opal gems outside of doing that ONE puzzle down in the archives

This is a problem. There need to be more crafts or something more that you can do with those.

DS has always had extremely powerful gear pretty easily available for those who know how to get it (see the aforementioned 90% DR thulecite crowns you can get en masse first autumn), and I 100% disagree with rift gear being too strong to obtain. Each of the routes requires you to beat multiple difficult bosses that absolutely will kill you if you don’t know what they do going in, and do a gigantic laundry list of things before you get your payoff. Sure, BS staff is really powerful and can trivialize some enemy mobs, but it’s the payoff of doing all of Pearl’s quests, doing the polar moon staff event, going to lunar island and digging up all the altars, powering the archives, making the lunar detector, finding and fighting CK (who gives fairly useless rewards), activating the siphonator, running around in the moonstorms to help Wagstaff and gather all the materials you need to complete the siphonator, completing it, fighting another very challenging boss, activating rifts, then actually doing brightshade fights and gathering the materials needed from the lunar rifts. It’s a giant gauntlet of things that’s more difficult than anything else before it, whereas you can just walk into the ruins with a half stack of nightmare fuel and walk out with 3 or 4 thulecite  crowns and a magiluminescence. 

I personally disagree that rift gear on either side is too powerful for its difficulty in getting. You risk dying in a dozen different ways for it, and you aren’t ever really told how to get it so most people that don’t actively seek it out or read a guide will end up figuring out how to do it. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You want to know why?

Rifts have nothing to do with pre-rift content as ... well... the rifts don't exist until they do.
Deerclops related content only happens when, you guessed it, deerclops has been interacted with. 

Do you eat a sandwich before you've made it? I don't think you do, Mike.

20 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean even the new so called “Late-Game” Gear can only be obtained by fighting the “Late-Game” Bosses.. Even if a player opts to turn rifts on Early in world settings, they still have to deal with Rift content in the SAME EXACT WAY as someone who activated it through normal unlocking methods.

This is why I don’t really feel too badly about turning rifts on in day 1 worlds, A player who enables rifts through world settings still has to actually fight the new Lunar Horror Bosses to obtain their loot drops.

In fact I would even argue that players who do the content the intended way will have a significantly easier time, because they’ll have all this good armor and gear and late game stuff like CC crowns and what-not..

But someone who turns rifts on early, who probably barely had the resources ready to deal with Default versions of these bosses, now have to deal with their mutated variations as well.

Or the TL:DR- Rifts on from Day 1 means you’ll need to prioritize getting Brightshade Gear before you even obtain your first Eyebrella from Regular Deerclops.

You guys discredit the hell out of me for not “Jumping through the hoops” but I want you to understand that I know exactly what those “Hoops” are and I’ve experienced them, but I’ve also experienced what not being ready for Acid Rain means.. when you haven’t even killed your first Deerclops to get an Eyebrella that will help you deal with it better.

'Late-game' gear has nothing to do with pre-late game, as the late game hasn't happened yet.
Bearger related content only happens when, you guessed it, bearger has been interacted with. 

Do have a bath before you've put the water in? I don't think you do, Mike.

49 minutes ago, The Starver said:

This is a problem. There need to be more crafts or something more that you can do with those.

I don't think we need more crafts pre-rift. We have many and they're mostly niche.

• Haha 1

What really bothers me is how late game stuff wastes time.

For exsample I thought it would be funny to get brightshade gear on a pvp server so I went for it. I still have a lot of complaints toward stupid pearl quests and them being a huge time waste, but at least they are duable in first autumn. I don't have a lot of practice so I only managed to beat CC on day 26. 

But to my disappointment rifts do not open right away. And brightshades seem to come out only at the end of the rift cycle. I managed to get brightshade gear on day 50, after basically wasting my whole day playing this. Why are rifts so slow? What's the point? At least with cc I spent 25 days doing all sorts of things from ruins rush to archive to moon base to pearl island to moon island to moon storm. Other 25 days I spent just sitting there waiting for rift to release bright shades. 

I also wanted to try out hound tooh gun in pvp but oh boy. Even if ill manage to get zombie deerclops in first winter I'll till have to spend over 9 hours for bearger to come. 

4 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

Other 25 days I spent just sitting there waiting for rift to release bright shades. 

Well if you want to spend time on something you can do the shadow quest and activate the cave rifts while waiting for the BS. Then when you get BS (bs lol) gear you can go kill the ink blights. 

3 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Well if you want to spend time on something you can do the shadow quest and activate the cave rifts while waiting for the BS. Then when you get BS (bs lol) gear you can go kill the ink blights. 

Oh God no that's definitely not what I want. Playing for 30+ days is already too much. I wish pearls quests would be toned down more, and I wish rifts would activate immediately, releasing bright shades right away. 

i dont even like planar gear and what it does, its like it removes your character from your character...it looks like some sort of....mod character actualy then something real

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

Name me a hard to get equipment in this game. Ruins loot is not it, everyone be doing sciencless rush these days. 

And is this “everyone” you speak of in the room with us right now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1