Rhymes with Play Dev Cast this Thursday (Don't Starve Together - Content Update Preview)

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

Hey Klei will this game also get content updates in form of paid DLCs and all new skins will only be obtainable from said dlcs too?

Like ya recently decided to do for Oxygen Not Included. Despite what you stated previously about such idea.

Asking out of curiosity..

Cause my trust in this company has been severely gouged as of late.

It’s almost like a certain company I won’t name bought majority shares into their company isn’t it?!?

Jokes aside, Don’t Starve was a single player game that got Two (Three) paid DLC Expansions.

RoG (ps4 & Pc only because for Switch & Xbox they were always a completely free core part of the game)

Shipwrecked (Pc, Xbox Ps4 only, Switch got it as a core part of the game package)

And Hamlet.

RoG added Webber & Wigfrid plus new season changes, mobs & Bosses.

Shipwrecked added Walani, Wilbur, Warly & Woodlegs, new seasons, mobs, gameplay mechanics etc

Hamlet added Wilba, Wheeler, Wormwood & Wagstaff new seasons, mobs, gameplay etc.

But most importantly of all- DS was a Single Player game, and the decision not to do paid dlcs for DST was because the game was multiplayer & they did not want to split their playerbase between who has, and who does not have dlc.

(I personally find this to be silly, Klei is a company trying to make money after all.. so I for one would’ve appreciated QUALITY paid DLCs that worked like the dlc on MINECRAFT does (only the host needs to own it, but anyone can join, play & be characters they don’t own from said DLCs)

I guess because Klei is considered a small Indie Development company that maybe they don’t have the technology to pull something like that, but even TMNT:Shredders Revenge allowed people who did not own the Dimension Shell Shocked DLC, to join players who DID own the DLC and play the new mode/characters.

Its literally industry standard…

So I fail to understand, (or even agree with..) DST content being Free.

QUALITY is the key word here, if they would’ve given me Shipwrecked or Hamlet sized paid DLCs I would’ve gladly purchased them.

But in my opinion all the free updates Klei has been doing to the game hasn’t been that level of high quality yet.

I guess maybe if you added all the free updates together it would maybe?? But then-

Theres still the highly empty & uninteresting ocean.

And I can’t help but feel like if Klei were to do a paid dlc (Shipwrecked: Together) that a lot more effort & quality would’ve been put into it by now.

Anyway- if ONI is a singleplayer game (never played it so idk) then it follows the same DLC pattern of Solo DS.

• Like 1
  • Wavey 1

1 hour ago, Swiyss said:

That is extremely scary to think about. I really hope greed doesn't ruin this game, I believe in the devs.

They wont release paid dlc... they even stopped releasing paid dlcs for oni because they saw how profitable is to release free content plus skin packs compared to expending atleast 1 year developing a dlc to sell it for few more money than a skin pack, the ammount of content can be split between multiple updates and release cheap skin packs with each one...

• Like 1
  • Happy Hazard 1

15 minutes ago, arubaro said:

They wont release paid dlc... they even stopped releasing paid dlcs for oni because they saw how profitable is to release free content plus skin packs compared to expending atleast 1 year developing a dlc to sell it for few more money than a skin pack, the ammount of content can be split between multiple updates and release cheap skin packs with each one...

Plus they want to avoid splitting the code base into different versions which makes development less streamlined.

• Like 2

Amazing dev cast!  This update is looking amazing.  I'm very excited for what this brings to the game, and especially that it shows Klei is willing to revisit skill trees to adjust balance as we go.  One of my biggest concerns with skill trees is how imbalanced the refreshes became as they released, and there were no moves to return to previous characters to catch them up.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Anyway- if ONI is a singleplayer game (never played it so idk) then it follows the same DLC pattern of Solo DS.

Not quite.

From their announcement these DLCs won't be big Expansion sized (in similar fashion like DS ones were)

From what they teased so far these DLCs will have far less content than what their current Spaced Out! DLC has (even compared what it had in it's early days) and there will be short time between these DLC releases.

So hence my mocking of potential DST DLCs being Moon Quay sized if they do adopt same model for this game too.

Edited by ALCRD