i don't understand the bootleg getaway.

The new boss, the frostjaw is found on the new ice island in the ocean and drops the bootleg getaway upon being killed (and I think you can trade with him after by giving him big fish)

It's an item that allows you to teleport but only on your boat (and that means, only in the ocean)

Not on land or in the caves, I really don't see why this item has any merit to it, it sounds cool because you can teleport but the cart is kind of put before the horse here. There's not much merit in being able to teleport in the sea in the first place, sure i'll go out and get some stone fruit bushes, but after that until I start the celestial champion quest, i don't use the ocean. Do other players do? Maybe. But let's not get distracted here. Someone encouraged me to do a playthrough where I did sea fishing as my primary way of getting food, I didn't find it fun at all. 

I know i can just go kill some beefalo, tallbirds or pick some berries instead, that thought kept banging at the back of my head and I didn't see why I was fishing. At least in stardew valley you would fish for money, or in minecraft, treasure (and food). Why is it ok for this argument to be invalidated if someone finds X enjoyable but Y obviously produces better and quicker results?

ok yapping aside
are there any plans for the lockjaw? Maybe after killing him he becomes some sort of subjugated dragon (metaphorically) and sells you his "gold" (treasure) and using the crafting interface as the liasion, like with pearl.

or maybe he can be just a surface version of AG, a boss that drops a lot of random treasure, maybe he should draw a tusk, since he's winter themed, and i've personally always wanted a way to get a walking cane before winter without relying on a boon or ancient guardian

btw (Technically you can teleport to the edges of the mainland to use that to get around, but to trade, travel to a boat, kill an 8000 health boss, fish a ton for these bootlegs - in no particular order, that's a lot of time spent and I really do think at that point I should just use a beefalo or something. especially since this doesn't work in the caves)

I think it's absurdly unbalanced. Fish for a very powerful ability, but instead of being balanced, it's just a glorified monkey's paw? I don't think that's a great idea.

That’s all going to depend on what Klei wants to do with the bootleg..

Teleporting around in the currently extremely empty ocean just doesn’t sound fun, nor does it sound like something I want to invest time into doing.

I guess you “Might” could use it to quickly transfer CC parts but Beefalo would still be better anyway.

What would be neat however, is if there were gated off areas in the ocean, think something like Obsidian or Batsalt pillars, they’re indestructible, you can’t mine them, but you could use the bootleg to teleport into or out of this area.

Im sure Klei has an actual use planned for it, maybe it’s used to turn Frostjaw into a friendly helper NPC who can jump in the whirlpool and go to the area (on the ocean) to help you with an ocean boss or whatever.

Honestly we aren’t going to know the full scope of things until Klei releases bigger meatier content updates that brings it all together.

Moon Quay is in the game, funny monkey curse is in the game, planar damage & weapons and armors are in the game..

But is it all a jumbled mess of content that has no connection? Or does Klei still have plans to expand on it?

hopefully by the end of this years roadmap, with 4 promised large significant updates… they start tying up some loose ends.

48 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I guess you “Might” could use it to quickly transfer CC parts but Beefalo would still be better anyway.

the hardest part about the CC parts is doing the archives and fighting crab king, by then you probably wouldn't be carrying them with wilson-tier strength, you'd have walter's dog, beefalo or wolfgang do the heavy lifting. And then it's a matter of a short boat trip to an island you already found. You can even have a bridge of boats lined up by then. With bearger this shouldn't be a problem, otherwise use maxwell, woodie, warly + spices or wolfgang + pick/axe

Also I think if klei had plans they would be more open to us, like when the ancient fuelweaver was being added, the ancient gateway had police tape over it if i recall correctly

and you know i'm not sure about the planar stuff have you found any uses for it? I've yet to actually come across it in game but if I do I don't know why a dark sword doesn't suffice instead

As of right now (might change in the future), it's simply a band-aid fix on the issue of the ocean being incredibly boring to traverse repeatedly, even more than just discovering the points of interest needed to progress on it.

It also semi-fixes the issue of needing to circle around the mainland if you want to use one boat instead of building more around different sides of the ocean.

This is the main thing stopping me from visiting the Frostjaw currently.

On top of not being interested in his fight, design, placement, or much of him, the reward being an item that removes the sailing part of sailing feels odd.
I love the sailing in DST, it's such a fun way to spend my extra time, I can see it being nice if you're low on time I guess but I don't really want to use them since I enjoy sailing as-is. And I can understand why others would since the ocean is still a bit empty but even then... I 'unno.

4 hours ago, Seero said:

Not on land or in the caves, I really don't see why this item has any merit to it, it sounds cool because you can teleport but the cart is kind of put before the horse here. There's not much merit in being able to teleport in the sea in the first place, sure i'll go out and get some stone fruit bushes, but after that until I start the celestial champion quest, i don't use the ocean. Do other players do? Maybe. But let's not get distracted here. Someone encouraged me to do a playthrough where I did sea fishing as my primary way of getting food, I didn't find it fun at all

It's very simple, use it to teleport to the sea treasures, so it's much more fun than just following them to the other side of the map

sketch-1707035249170.png

I use it for fast travel. It's become my favorite late game item. With it's existence, it highlights the painful part about traversing through the ocean once you have a good collection of bootlegs.

Sailing is generally painful for everyone, but the problem is, sailing doesn't have a generally agreed upon solution to make it more enjoyable. Even when you have multiple players on the boat, if you're the one who's steering, you feel kind of bad for the passengers because they just stand there doing nothing. 

If it were up to me, I'd add something down the line that acts as a handheld motor which acts to make a boat move wherever you're standing. Like an auto oar, but better. 

But of course, people are going to have a problem with this suggestion, so what the hell else can be done?

So far, the bootleg provides a relief for the hassle of sailing.

Bootleg gateway, and Frostjaw by extension, are Klei's bandaid fix to the horrendous worldgen-sailing combo

Now instead of having 5+ boats all made at the closest shore to the point of interest or being forced to sail the ring-around-the-mainland ocean you can now open a portal and get from point A to point B

Glad to know that nothing will be done about the worlden

18 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Bootleg gateway, and Frostjaw by extension, are Klei's bandaid fix to the horrendous worldgen-sailing combo

Now instead of having 5+ boats all made at the closest shore to the point of interest or being forced to sail the ring-around-the-mainland ocean you can now open a portal and get from point A to point B

I remember someone suggesting a potential genius fix. They suggested adding rivers that go through the land, allowing boats to go through the land rather than going around it.

They suggested adding very shallow water that is sometimes in rivers too. Shallow enough for players to walk in to cross rivers, deep enough for boats to sail through. Could be like rocky pebbles.

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

This is the main thing stopping me from visiting the Frostjaw currently.

On top of not being interested in his fight, design, placement, or much of him, the reward being an item that removes the sailing part of sailing feels odd.
I love the sailing in DST, it's such a fun way to spend my extra time, I can see it being nice if you're low on time I guess but I don't really want to use them since I enjoy sailing as-is. And I can understand why others would since the ocean is still a bit empty but even then... I 'unno.

I like the item but never saw it in the perspective you mentioned. Was already sad to see that this item might be the solution to the bad sea shape instead of changing world gen (which even with the item, they should since the sea is small and thin in some worlds) but also, as you said, is a weird decision to add an item for sailing that removes long trips

I guess when they add more biomes to the sea we wont want to teleport always but to travel to our destiny while encounter other stuff so we will only use it when we want quick trips for something specific 

Pd. Salt needs a buff and more uses so we can visit salt formations more often

I saw someone use a bootleg getaway to transport a bunch of Antlion glass sculptures from one side of the map to the other one. It's pretty smart for megabasing - the alternatives are carrying them one by one with a beefalo or jumping through the portal with Wanda which is costly (1 purple gem per travel) and is time limited (unless you make several backtrek watches that go to the same location). 

Besides glass sculptures I can see it being useful to transport ocean tree nuts from Waterlogged, hunting sea treasure (especially the ones around Moon Quay) and maybe transporting lunar altars before CC fight if you somehow stumbled across Frostjaw earlier than did CC in your world. 

8 hours ago, Creatorofswamps said:

It's very simple, use it to teleport to the sea treasures, so it's much more fun than just following them to the other side of the map

I'm not trying to be mean but if you saw the title of my thread and decided to answer it, you didn't read my thread. I already know what it does and you would know that if you read it.

8 hours ago, Antynomity said:

As of right now (might change in the future), it's simply a band-aid fix on the issue of the ocean being incredibly boring to traverse repeatedly, even more than just discovering the points of interest needed to progress on it.

It also semi-fixes the issue of needing to circle around the mainland if you want to use one boat instead of building more around different sides of the ocean.

sure i guess

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

i wish they were more open with us. the new roadmap is completely cryptic

3 hours ago, Seero said:

i wish they were more open with us. the new roadmap is completely cryptic

Pretty sure they do it so opinions and feedback on updates are about that update alone and not a mix of everything, and to avoid building controversy beforehand.

3 hours ago, Seero said:

I already know what it does and you would know that if you read it.

There was no mention of getting Pearl's treasures even if you think it's not worth going for to mention, and you even went on to talk about what if the shark could help with getting treasures.

I also initially read "treasures" as "creatures", and it works quite well for Grass Gators.

6 hours ago, Lovens said:

I saw someone use a bootleg getaway to transport a bunch of Antlion glass sculptures from one side of the map to the other one. It's pretty smart for megabasing - the alternatives are carrying them one by one with a beefalo or jumping through the portal with Wanda which is costly (1 purple gem per travel) and is time limited (unless you make several backtrek watches that go to the same location). 

Besides glass sculptures I can see it being useful to transport ocean tree nuts from Waterlogged, hunting sea treasure (especially the ones around Moon Quay) and maybe transporting lunar altars before CC fight if you somehow stumbled across Frostjaw earlier than did CC in your world. 

image.png.ef2aadc5fd159595b0b1ba1a84473b5d.png

Me. 

9 hours ago, Lovens said:

Yeah, fair enough, I think transporting stuff is a good use for them.
That and TPing to sunken treasures sounds fun.

Archived