Hindsight- The Sawhorse obtaining method has failed

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s no secret that furniture skin sets exist to sale furniture skins.. so now the only real question is how many players are buying them & if it’s not enough- What can they do to change that?

I bought the skins and it still doesn't motivate me enough to make the items, as I get really irritated because of the annoying methods to obtain. The point with Hermit should come when we place the first stone chair on the island and that's it. Where and what we do with Sawhorse shouldn't matter. For me, the worst part is having to build the Sawhorse preferably on her island, so I don't have to come back a second time with another chair. After doing this, I want to never see another Sawhorse in front of me again.

Sawhorse is just an item for decorative purposes and should not be overrated. It should be balanced, just like the Clean Sweeper was.

None of the items have much function and, apparently people don't really use them much outside of decorating, so why should it be easier to get?

It's not very hard either, eventually you SHOULD go to the ruins (Imo though, they need to make hosting caves easier on older systems or provide an alternative way to get it for those who disable caves, not that i think that demographic should be specifically targeted for QOL updates). If you're going to use the Pseudo-science station anyways, it's not much bother to punch a shadow and visit pearl at some point - you've got the other option of learning the craft for the chair through the chest if you prefer we keep that method?

If you're expected to kill a dragon(fly) for a furnace and a toad for a lamp, I see no reason why we shouldn't be attacking shadows then building chairs for crabs.

7 minutes ago, Uedo said:

None of the items have much function

They do. The flower pots are really useful for light/sainity. The cattail lamps are alright too.

8 minutes ago, Uedo said:

It's not very hard either, eventually you SHOULD go to the ruins (Imo though, they need to make hosting caves easier on older systems or provide an alternative way to get it for those who disable caves, not that i think that demographic should be specifically targeted for QOL updates). If you're going to use the Pseudo-science station anyways, it's not much bother to punch a shadow and visit pearl at some point - you've got the other option of learning the craft for the chair through the chest if you prefer we keep that method?

It is not about how easy it is to get, the method is really hidden and odd for the sake of it.

4 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

They do. The flower pots are really useful for light/sainity. The cattail lamps are alright too.

Much.

4 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It is not about how easy it is to get, the method is really hidden and odd for the sake of it.

Ok. I also don't feel it's terribly obscure considering most of the game is seeing an item and googling how to make it.

3 hours ago, user1464576869 said:

Furniture decor to me seems like it could disrupt gameplay in various ways.

I do see what you mean by this in particular and i half agree. Having it sold for bottles would be a good half measure.

3 hours ago, user1464576869 said:

It is strange though that supposedly not even megabases uses them, I find that hard to believe.

I feel like there are types of megabases. Practical ones with organisation, turfs, and alot of useful things (Most common from experience, tea party areas and things are not made), and the decoratice megabase who makes big builds for the reason of having decoration.

4 minutes ago, Uedo said:

Ok. I also don't feel it's terribly obscure considering most of the game is seeing an item and googling how to make it.

They added this odd quest in the same year they added the scrapbook which was aimed to help reverse some of this process.

The item is not like this because of lore like the fuelweaver, pearl knows the blueprint since day 1, and only gives it when you make a random stone chair from the ruins because she thinks it is ugly.

3 hours ago, CuteC said:

Probably is the fact that it mostly makes chair and table stuff which doesn't look that good in like... not a housing place.

The only fun thing out of the decoration side of that update was the gramophone and you cannot keep it blasting ragtime 24/7 sadly.

It still is quite the random requirement, it also doesn't help that a player just wouldn't know that thing even exists because you don't get it from trading but rather Pearl just rejecting the sad excuse of a chair you give her.

i believe she has special quote she needs a chair, like all her quest quotes

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually the problem exists in a wide variety of ways that no offense- Veteran players have grown blind to.

See: No matter how you look at it, DST is still for the most part, a Randomly Generated game.. AND most people overlook this fact because A: They’re living in worlds “Long-Term” now and have already mapped out their worlds biomes. And B: They’ve played the game long enough to know where to go & what to look for.

That all gets thrown Immediately out the window, when your a new player picking up the controller (or mouse) for your very first time, you will Die, and you will die A LOT.. and in the process of your dying you will lose many many worlds and be forced into a brand new freshly randomly generated world to Re-Explore all over again.

So when actually locating Pearl or the Ruins becomes a major Chore, no one is going to invest in pretty furniture.

However- Even the most basic of noobs can easily learn how to craft a science machine & even alchemy engine.

So- The only reason it exists the way it exists right now, is to give veteran players a task to go do for Maximizing friendship points with Pearl.

But in a game where it’s foundation is largely built on random world generation- Having to spend hours looking for the places you need to go just to build some basic wooden furniture in your base simply isn’t fun.

Now do note: That the Relic Chair task to befriend points with the grumpy crab lady should remain the same, but decorating a base that will 9 times out of 10 be smashed by your very first encounter with a Deerclops, should not.

noobs don't need decorations. if you're skilled enough to farm excess resources for decorations obtaining sawhorse is not a problem anymore. Want decor? get good

2 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

They added this odd quest in the same year they added the scrapbook which was aimed to help reverse some of this process.

The item is not like this because of lore like the fuelweaver, pearl knows the blueprint since day 1, and only gives it when you make a random stone chair from the ruins because she thinks it is ugly.

I mean I do get where you're coming from, maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way? Do you feel more people would use it if it were more accessible?

4 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

because she thinks it is ugly

no, because she realises that you wanted to give her a chair, but she didn't like your chair and wanted you to make a better one

45 minutes ago, grm9 said:

no, because she realises that you wanted to give her a chair, but she didn't like your chair and wanted you to make a better one

That’s what you call someone who is ungrateful for the thoughtful gifts you bought them.

When my grandmother bought me socks, underwear, ugly Christmas sweaters and pants every year for Christmas of course I complained about it, I mean I was a kid, what kid doesn’t want toys for Christmas?! Anyway, when my grandma died I realized that the clothes I hated was the only way I had actually been getting new clothes to wear throughout the years.

Man what I wouldn’t give for her to just be able to give me another ugly sweater one last time.. :wilson_cry:

Anyways- The point is your character risked their lives to go into a creepy dark cave full of dangers like poisoned spiders, rabid bats, and insanity monsters, then obtain a Blueprint to learn how to (probably with their blood sweat & tears) chisel away at making that ungrateful crab a chair, only for her to criticize it & want you to make better furniture.

If you ask me.. Crab King probably ditched her because she was too grumpy, moody, and ungrateful for the nice pearls he bought her.

(Should be obvious, but this is a joke post intended for the lol’s)

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

ungrateful crab a chair,

Not really, at higher friendly level she appreciates your efforts and shows you her own secret recipes. Just check all the quotes for different levels.

Also you can avoid 100% of the caves danger by keeping walking.

3 hours ago, Uedo said:

I mean I do get where you're coming from, maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way? Do you feel more people would use it if it were more accessible?

Well from my perspective, Klei made the “Year of The” & the annual Midsumners Cawnival event items craftable with easy to get recipes because they wanted even the most casual of players to be able to experience that content within 5-10 minutes of loading into the game.

The Cawnival has an easy to craft Ticket Booth that when standing beside, will light up as a free infinity light source- and any player who realizes this, can effectively substitute these for “Maxwells lights” from Solo Adventures mode.

The thing though is that the Year of/Cawnival stuff is EASY to Obtain and craft- And they also give the player HUGE gameplay changing advantages.

Sawhorse content however is obscure, (unless you read what to do on a Wiki page) can take significantly longer to progress towards & unlock.

Look all I’m saying is that if I can craft a bell that makes a Beefalo follow me around with endless Loyality, a Cawnival booth that’s free light, and all the other various Year of structures in less than 5 minutes of starting a world…

Why is pretty base furniture the exception?

It being a pearl point is big, i always get it in a rush for a spring cc (ofc i also do klaus and dc for fun on runs). Means i dont have to wait for spring for bulb point/fish for an early pearl. I ******* despise fishing so anything reduce it to 0 without waiting around

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well from my perspective, Klei made the “Year of The” & the annual Midsumners Cawnival event items craftable with easy to get recipes because they wanted even the most casual of players to be able to experience that content within 5-10 minutes of loading into the game.

The Cawnival has an easy to craft Ticket Booth that when standing beside, will light up as a free infinity light source- and any player who realizes this, can effectively substitute these for “Maxwells lights” from Solo Adventures mode.

The thing though is that the Year of/Cawnival stuff is EASY to Obtain and craft- And they also give the player HUGE gameplay changing advantages.

Sawhorse content however is obscure, (unless you read what to do on a Wiki page) can take significantly longer to progress towards & unlock.

Look all I’m saying is that if I can craft a bell that makes a Beefalo follow me around with endless Loyality, a Cawnival booth that’s free light, and all the other various Year of structures in less than 5 minutes of starting a world…

Why is pretty base furniture the exception?

I think the crafts require the materials they do because birds eat seeds.... and it's an event ran by birds.

Other than that I'm really not sure what you want me to say, you get 'free light' from the sun - you don't have to wait out night to finish, you should have your own light source. Also they're really ugly. You can get free light by logging in and out or by going in and out of cave, light isn't that hard to come by.

Plus Cawnival uses a currency that is somewhat random to get and doesn't really give anything too ground breaking or impactful. You can argue the ticket booth if you like, but i'd rather just hold my lantern or put, the extremely elusive and impossible to obtain 'wood' - with how charcoal can come from pits it's no biggy.

FYI: Astral Detector is so much less obnoxious as a light source.

Edit: @Mike23Ua If you tell me that your part of the demographic of players who feed themselves on popcorn and consider that easier we have no room for discussion :p

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah that is about right... on purpose.

Events like YOTwhatever, cawnival, etc are events.  Sure there is some OP stuff like gift wraps but that is a reward for playing in the season and more coincidentally beneficial.  The point of events is to get players doing them.  You should be able to get into a world and start doing event based stuff relatively easily.

That doesn't mean all decorations need to be derp ez.  The sawhorse is a crafting station for structures that don't really have any mechanical use, so unlocking them isn't important to the game loop.  Its not a major feature on the front page when the game loads like cawnival.  Its just a thing - like making boats, or maps, or character swapping.

There are 2 gates to it.  You have to get to the ruins on low sanity.  A pretty easy task.  You don't even need to defeat bosses or anything, just find a chair and kill the shadow.  Then boat to pearl's island - the only water landmark that makes its self evident as you begin boating - and make her a chair.

I think if someone is interested in DST enough to want to craft purely asthetic structures, whether they are really good at the game or not, they can look up how to find more structures and how to acquire this.  I'm not concerned its a bit convoluted.  The only thing I'd change is taking out the 2 chair requirement.  If you build her the ruins chair and that counts as a task for her, and she makes the sawhorse recipe available for trade for jars I think that would be a bit smoother.  Then I don't need to build the sawhorse and the other chair AND wait for her to sit in it...  which imo is the only real tedious part of it.  But still... not enough that I really care about it.

I think it's fine. Is the method to acquire the saw horse relatively obscure? I would say yes. Does that make it a failure as a concept, I would say no.

For a majority of players, like many other items (ex: Terra firma tamper) it isn't needed and isn't useful so it isn't used. There is no problem with that in my opinion. If the item was more useful like knobbly tree nuts, it would arguably be used more regardless of the acquisition method.

Personally, I got the saw horse blueprint in several worlds and then never used it for anything except for putting down a wooden chair for pearl.

I think the sawhorse has a great method of acquisition. Both of its requirements are in places you'll naturally find yourself in when completing the two main quests, and its nicheness isn't a problem considering how niche its uses are.

On 1/18/2024 at 5:28 PM, Jakepeng99 said:

Almost Nobody has sawhorse in lategame. 

On 1/2/2024 at 1:34 PM, Jakepeng99 said:

I have played a big variety of servers, mostly lategame and megabase worlds with some other things, but even on these worlds focused on making a cool base, i almost never see a sawhorse. Even in some worlds that reach day 1000 with large grand bases, no sawhorse in sight.

I'm sorry, what is your sample size again? Are those random public servers or your friends megabasing in different worlds with you? On random public servers I imagine it'd be hard to build anything that counts as a megabase since it's so vulnerable to griefing and will likely be reset soon. So it's probably the worlds you play in with your friends...which means either they are not aware of this feature or find it too hard to obtain, or are currently focused on other tasks. 

Every megabase DST streamer I watch got the sawhorse for their servers the day it was added into the game (some got it even while it was in beta). I got it for my solo megabase as soon as it dropped out of beta. But there's a somewhat "megabase" server (we're getting close to 1000 days) I play on with noob friends and the last time we played on it (for the first time in like half a year) we indeed didn't get a sawhorse. Yet. Because we were busy doing moonstorms, then fighting CCx3 to get crowns for the team and activate lunar rifts, then collecting shadow rift materials for new shadow gear, then fighting couple new mutant bosses and then finally clearing the ruins after the last time we reset them. There our server host finally saw and killed sitting horror for the first time ever and obtained the regular chair blueprint. I hinted that Pearl might be interested in sitting on chairs so the next time we play on the server he will hopefully go to her and obtain the sawhorse blueprint for us. I could have done it instead of him and we'd have it at the beginning of that game session but I like to allow other people discover and experience new things on their own with some guiding. 

Anyway, to me it sounds like you just got a small sample size. And if you care so much for the sawhorse crafting station then you can go and get it yourself instead of complaining that other people didn't get it for you or that it's too hard to obtain. I now casually get the chair blueprint during my ruins rushing somewhere before day 10 and then use it to finish Pearl's quests faster. It's not really that hard to get. 

10 hours ago, Lovens said:

And if you care so much for the sawhorse crafting station then you can go and get it yourself instead of complaining that other people didn't get it for you or that it's too hard to obtain

I do go and get it. Nobody normally gets it when ruins rushing, so sometimes i go down and try get it myself. I made this post with the expefience of being the one who is normally the one to get the sawhorse, and the one who uses the saw horse (i fill bases with flower pots for light).

I now casually get the chair blueprint during my ruins rushing somewhere before day 10 and then use it to finish Pearl's quests faster. It's not really that hard to get. 

I was not talking about how hard it was to get. I said how on paper it is easy to get. It was about how obscure, and annoying it is to obtain for basic wooden furniture, and lights with early-mid game function. (Another wiki-exclusive added in the year trying to reverse this)

Every megabase DST streamer I watch got the sawhorse for their servers the day it was added into the game (some got it even while it was in beta).

This is expected. It is a new feature so all the streamers get it to showcase or play around with(especially during betas). Same as alot of people. It is why i waited awhile before returning to the sawhorse, you would need more recent examples.

I'm sorry, what is your sample size again? Are those random public servers or your friends megabasing in different worlds with you? On random public servers I imagine it'd be hard to build anything that counts as a megabase since it's so vulnerable to griefing and will likely be reset soon. So it's probably the worlds you play in with your friends...which means either they are not aware of this feature or find it too hard to obtain, or are currently focused on other tasks. 

It deleted my first comment, but i used dft4 endless server, and meow together. Both have greifer protect systems so megabases thrive. They were definitely megabases (i know what they look like) and they knew the sawhorse existed. I know people on dft4 alot, and meow together is 95% random people. The meow servers are worlds where one person saves their progress to play later which achieves long worlds with megabases.

4 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

It deleted my first comment, but i used dft4 endless server, and meow together. Both have greifer protect systems so megabases thrive. They were definitely megabases (i know what they look like) and they knew the sawhorse existed. I know people on dft4 alot, and meow together is 95% random people. The meow servers are worlds where one person saves their progress to play later which achieves long worlds with megabases.

Did I get it right, you didn't find a sawhorse in plain sight on two servers and your conclusion is that nobody uses it? 

Edit: after reading your last comment I just realised something else important most people in this thread are missing 

Everyone says how all this furniture doesn't benefit the player and only exists for decorating. This is not true. You said yourself how you use it to fill bases with flower pots for light. This is huge in a game which main threat is darkness. Usually to get this feature (semi-permanently light up the base) you either need to find and smash the stagehand 86 times for another table blueprint (another similar obscure mechanic), or find a lunar grotto and catch bulbous lightbugs then release them on the surface, or fight toad for lamps you can fill with lightbulbs. (Guess what, a starcaller/mooncaller is the most convenient solution to light up the base anyway). Another thing which is not purely decorational is gramophone - it can tend to crops. Other alternatives: one-man band (tier 1 magic craft, so you have to work for it), panflute (same, also too rare and expensive), beefalo horn (rare and requires finding and killing a bunch of beefalo, only 10 uses), shells from Pearl's island and WX's circuit made out of one that also requires to scan her. Lastly I don't know if wooden chair works the same or not but I've seen people use stone chair as an impassible obstacle for mob blocking. It works for farms and hound traps and things such as protecting the moonstone in combination with walls. The benefit is that you can have a solid wall of statues with a chair in between, then sit on the chair and exit on the other side of the wall, accessing the area with no visual entrance. No other structure in the game can do this. 

See where I'm going with this? All these methods are not something simple you can unlock and build from alchemy day 2. Then why vases and gramophone should be? 

53 minutes ago, Lovens said:

Another thing which is not purely decorational is gramophone - it can tend to crops.

Gramaphone does not need the sawhorse. It is its own thing. Alot of people think it is a sawhorse craft because they were added alongside each other, but it is not required.

Did I get it right, you didn't find a sawhorse in plain sight on two servers and your conclusion is that nobody uses it?

I never claimed that nobody uses it if you read what i said initially. Also this is not two servers, meow together has 6 servers that are often replaced by multiple worlds owned by a variety of people by using the save function made for that server. It was not plain sight either, i play the servers for a varying amount of time, check out the base whole base, and even sometimes ask if there is a sawhorse out of curiosity. Sorry for the confusion here.

Dft endless is pretty much one server that regenerates every so often, but i felt like including it anyway.

Everyone says how all this furniture doesn't benefit the player and only exists for decorating. This is not true. You said yourself how you use it to fill bases with flower pots for light. This is huge in a game which main threat is darkness. Usually to get this feature (semi-permanently light up the base) you either need to find and smash the stagehand 86 times for another table blueprint (another similar obscure mechanic), or find a lunar grotto and catch bulbous lightbugs then release them on the surface, or fight toad for lamps you can fill with lightbulbs. (Guess what, a starcaller/mooncaller is the most convenient solution to light up the base anyway).

And it is a great thing. From experience, it is balanced since you need to refuel the pots every 5 days. Lesser glowberries last longer, and greator ones last the longest. Keep in mind, the lower the spoilage, the dimmer the light. It is not like the lantern where a 1% lightbulb still offers max efficency. They don't have the biggest radius in the world to start with either, but the loop of refueling them felt so perfect.

Having an early-mid game way to light up base would be so refreshing. Just filling a base with lightflowers was one of the most satisfying things for me.

It is the perfect thing for basing, and is another reason to make the sawhorse more obtainable. A small flowerpot could improve the gameplay so much.

58 minutes ago, Lovens said:

Lastly I don't know if wooden chair works the same or not but I've seen people use stone chair as an impassible obstacle for mob blocking. It works for farms and hound traps and things such as protecting the moonstone in combination with walls. The benefit is that you can have a solid wall of statues with a chair in between, then sit on the chair and exit on the other side of the wall, accessing the area with no visual entrance. No other structure in the game can do this. 

I forgot to mention this, but this is an exploit that the player can decide to use if they wish and should not be considered a reason for locking it behind this process. I never knew that though it looks neat. It is just good QOL though since you could always lift a statue up and drop it ontop of yourself to phase through it.

3 hours ago, Lovens said:

...but I've seen people use stone chair as an impassible obstacle for mob blocking.

I literally use these for that and forgot cause I don't have one on my current world.... Yeah absolutely brilliant counter-point to raise; Truthfully it replaces gates entirely and is perfect for things like spider farms

47 minutes ago, Uedo said:

I literally use these for that and forgot cause I don't have one on my current world.... Yeah absolutely brilliant counter-point to raise; Truthfully it replaces gates entirely and is perfect for things like spider farms

With the same mindset, something like making the potters wheel only obtained by giving a figure sketch to the moon quay queen would be logical to balance the statue exploit.

It is not a good counterpoint. If Klei were to balance decorational items around exploits, that would be bad and it is self explanatory. They should target the exploit if it was a problem (in this case, not). This point feels like a desperate reason to defend the sawhorse obtaining method

And to add to this exploit, it is not op in the first place since it just enchances the qol of another bigger exploit so it is rather irrelevant to this. It has the same issue with statues where mobs pass through it off screen, so it does not replace gates either.

3 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I forgot to mention this, but this is an exploit that the player can decide to use if they wish and should not be considered a reason for locking it behind this process. I never knew that though it looks neat. It is just good QOL though since you could always lift a statue up and drop it ontop of yourself to phase through it.

19 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

With the same mindset, something like making the potters wheel only obtained by giving a figure sketch to the moon quay queen would be logical to balance the statue exploit.

It is not a good counterpoint. If Klei were to balance decorational items around exploits, that would be bad and it is self explanatory. They should target the exploit if it was a problem (in this case, not). This point feels like a desperate reason to defend the sawhorse obtaining method

And to add to this exploit, it is not op in the first place since it just enchances the qol of another bigger exploit so it is rather irrelevant to this. It has the same issue with statues where mobs pass through it off screen, so it does not replace gates either.

I disagree with you calling it an exploit. Both ruins chair and statues are solid structures crafted out of stone or marble which are durable materials and it makes sense they block mobs. If devs wanted to change mob pathfinding to consider them proper obstacles, they would have done it long time ago. It also makes sense thematically. Players are smarter than creatures and can pathfind around them. Anything too strong (seasonal giants) will just break the obstacle. Anything weak and dumb will just get stuck on it. It's just how the game works and it both  has its pros and cons to players. You can use this pathfinding to trap farm mobs, but you will also have your followers stuck in various way (chester can get stuck on impassible obstacle and get killed by mobs, beefalo will get stuck between structures when you try to hitch it and then you won't be able to interact with it.

As to sawhorse obtaining method, a lot of people already pointed out in this thread how a lot of decorative items and crafting stations are obscure and hard to get (turf crafting station, ruins turfs and relic blueprints etc). Base decor is secondary, survival gameplay is the main focus of the game. When you get good enough to survive and can reliably explore harder areas (caves, ocean) it means you no longer struggle with survival challenges and ready to discover game's secrets. Even with potter's wheel you have only two basic statues unlocked and nobody's complaining that you need to collect figure sketches and fight bosses just to decor your base with them, or get to specific locations like lunar to get its unique  themed statues. There are other base design related things locked behind exploration and boss interactions (moon quay blueprints, Pearl's turf, Antlion blueprints). There are some decoration items available to craft via alchemy engine but it doesn't mean that everything decorative should be accessible via it. 

Some people in the thread also say it's annoying to build a sawhorse at Pearl's and build her the second chair and I can kinda understand that. But guess what, it only costs 4 boards and 4 flint. Hammer it down after building the chair, hammer down the chair after she notices it and you already got back 3 out of the 4 boards required to re-build the sawhorse. It's not that hard to find two more flint and another board to then place the sawhorse in your base if you need it so badly. Here's another related thing that most people probably don't do with decorative items but I do. I like to unlock and frequently pre-craft sign, directional sign, relic chair and regular wooden chair as a way to "store" extra boards and cut stone on you. If you don't have it pre-crafted and you are running out of inventory space when you are collecting harvested materials, you can bring them in the form of pre-crafted structures that only take 1 refined resource. If you later need to finish crafting something asap, you can place any of those down and hammer it to get the resource (1 board or 1 cut stone). I use that in Pearl's case too - after building the two chairs and sawhorse on her island I just hammer all of it down and bring back with me since she doesn't need it anymore. You can take back anything you do for her after she acknowledges your efforts with a quote. Like, dig up all the berry bushes you planted and fertilized for her and bring them back to the base. You can pick up items you dried on her drying racks and eat them. You can collect the flowers you planted for her to make a parasol or for whatever other needs. 

Archived