Hindsight- The Sawhorse obtaining method has failed

I have played a big variety of servers, mostly lategame and megabase worlds with some other things, but even on these worlds focused on making a cool base, i almost never see a sawhorse. Even in some worlds that reach day 1000 with large grand bases, no sawhorse in sight.

Is it hard to get? That is debatable since it is on paper easy if you get the stone chair while going to ruins, but the majority seems to not be bothered or see it as worth it due to how out-of-the-way it feels. Even most ruins rushers seem to forget about it, along with a large portion of megabasers. 

You as an individual may use this item, but it seems like the majority never touch it. Sometimes someone does a call of action, and goes out of their way to try get it and people end up using it, so it is not the item itself. Another odd thing is how Klei is using this to sell alot of skins, yet they are gatekeeping these decorations from most players with a random and hidden process which is counter-intuative.

Is it time to just let this thing be sold for bottles at pearls at no expense of any player (or any other accessable way), or should it stay in the dust bin?

6 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Is it time to just let this thing be sold for bottles at pearls at no expense of any player, or should it stay in the dust bin?

It'll stay in the dust bin for years until a random update picks it up again :lol:

I forgot this existed until a streamer i was watching got a drop for one of the furniture skins lol… 

Without skins all the pieces r ugly anyway so i actually dont feel like im losing out on much :lol:

2 hours ago, Harrowick said:

If we can't have the sawhorse as an alchemy engine craft and we *had* to have pearl involved in some way I'd be okay with buying it for bottles. :wilson_curious:

I would be fine with either way.

I still dislike the way you obtain the sawhorse BP.. why does pretty base furniture of All things require a trip into caves? LoL like I mean.. Tables and Chairs don’t give you any kind of significant stat boost…

the Winters Feast Buffet tables do… but THESE are purely just for base decorations.

Maybe Klei did it this way so that giving Pearl a chair counts towards her friendship bonding, but I don’t see why getting her a ruins chair couldn’t Still count towards friendship points, while regular chairs just became more accessible to players.

4 minutes ago, landromat said:

that's decorator building. Who needs decorations on their base? Megabasers. When they need it? Late game. Everyone has sawhorse in late game

Almost Nobody has sawhorse in lategame. 

Also this is bad reasoning regardless. Nobody needs decorations, they just want. No reason to lock it behind such weird, random, specific and out of the way methods.

22 minutes ago, arubaro said:

I dont get the drama for unlocking stuff by exploring and interacting with different places... isnt like you need chairs since day one

Yeah but this is for basic wooden furnature.

38 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Almost Nobody has sawhorse in lategame. 

Also this is bad reasoning regardless. Nobody needs decorations, they just want. No reason to lock it behind such weird, random, specific and out of the way methods.

Yeah but this is for basic wooden furnature.

so they don't need it then. It's not hard to get it

I really don’t have an issue with them too much. If you want the decor, you go and get the sawhorse. I very rarely see people do dedicated decorative builds in the early game since they usually get smashed unless they are very key areas (like the portal), so I never really had an issue with the recipes being a little obscure.

Really the only thing I would change that is somewhat related is simply making the replica relic blueprints obtainable from the station with papyrus, like how the turfs are. Those items are by far the most obscure recipes to unlock by a longshot, and I don’t see why they wouldn’t allow you to just get all of the relics from the station instead.

2 hours ago, landromat said:

so they don't need it then. It's not hard to get it

I did mention those points in my post. Nobody seems to bother to get it due to it being really specific. Though, to be real, there is not a good reason for not making the obtaining method better (buying from pearl, being a basic recipe, whateter). It seems to be mostly advantagous.

2 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

I really don’t have an issue with them too much. If you want the decor, you go and get the sawhorse. I very rarely see people do dedicated decorative builds in the early game since they usually get smashed unless they are very key areas (like the portal), so I never really had an issue with the recipes being a little obscure.

Really the only thing I would change that is somewhat related is simply making the replica relic blueprints obtainable from the station with papyrus, like how the turfs are. Those items are by far the most obscure recipes to unlock by a longshot, and I don’t see why they wouldn’t allow you to just get all of the relics from the station instead.

I think it would be cooler if they added more shadow monsters like the shadow sitter for each relic. Having a unique furniture set exclusive to the ruins is cool, though the sawhorse really undermines it.

21 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Nobody seems to bother to get it due to it being really specific

Everybody that wants to decorate would get it

22 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Though, to be real, there is not a good reason for not making the obtaining method better (buying from pearl, being a basic recipe, whateter

If by better you mean generic... yeah they could instead of obtaining it throw an original miniquest

50 minutes ago, arubaro said:

Everybody that wants to decorate would get it

I joined lots of megabase servers. They are often decorated, but most the time i saw no saw horse.

51 minutes ago, arubaro said:

If by better you mean generic... yeah they could instead of obtaining it throw an original miniquest

Put more meaningful things behind these miniquests rather than basic things- like the replica furniture stuff.

What would be more interesting is if you unlocked pearl themed furniture through a similar method to the sawhorse as a replacement.

15 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

it does seem way out of the way to get it...like...it is even forgetable with how out of the way it is given what it just does, makin taples and such

Exactly! Which is a really really bizarre way of designing game content if you ask me. Sometimes I can spend a good long time exploring in my worlds to even find the ruins.. which makes me ask the question of If Klei’s intention for the sawhorse was to sale furniture skins in their in game shop…. Why in the heck is it so obscure to even craft the furniture?

Im gonna be real here- it seems to only be in the game in its current implementation for no other purpose but to appeal to late game megabasers, or more intermediate level DST players.

Because no matter how pretty current, or future skin sets are, only players who can reliably obtain them are going to purchase them.

Im positive that Klei only implemented them in their current form because they were only thinking about worlds players have lived within for hundreds of days, because… I can promise you if they started fresh Day 1 starting worlds every time they set down to play or develop content for DST, they’d be willing to change a few things & make them more accessible.

It’s no secret that furniture skin sets exist to sale furniture skins.. so now the only real question is how many players are buying them & if it’s not enough- What can they do to change that?

8 hours ago, Jakepeng99 said:

I did mention those points in my post. Nobody seems to bother to get it due to it being really specific. Though, to be real, there is not a good reason for not making the obtaining method better (buying from pearl, being a basic recipe, whateter). It seems to be mostly advantagous.

I think it would be cooler if they added more shadow monsters like the shadow sitter for each relic. Having a unique furniture set exclusive to the ruins is cool, though the sawhorse really undermines it.

Nobody bothers because Nobody needs decorations on their Base, not because its Hard to obtain. Also Last thing you want to see is random person in pubic servers wasting resourses for this stuff, so that makes sense to not be easy to obtain 

1 hour ago, landromat said:

Also Last thing you want to see is random person in pubic servers wasting resourses for this stuff, so that makes sense to not be easy to obtain 

If this somehow is a problem , then make it purchasable for bottles at pearl. Solves all potential "problems"

Isn't this kinda an easy task for pearl though?  Rather than trying to catch a heavy fish, or catch her during rain / snow?  Unless you wait for summer to bring her cactus salad the chair is an extra favor isn't it?  I kinda figured a lot of people got it - idk if they use it much in decorating, but why wouldn't they IF they want that type of structures?

41 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

If this somehow is a problem , then make it purchasable for bottles at pearl. Solves all potential "problems"

it is already puchasable for a chair... problem never existed

1 hour ago, landromat said:

Actually the problem exists in a wide variety of ways that no offense- Veteran players have grown blind to.

See: No matter how you look at it, DST is still for the most part, a Randomly Generated game.. AND most people overlook this fact because A: They’re living in worlds “Long-Term” now and have already mapped out their worlds biomes. And B: They’ve played the game long enough to know where to go & what to look for.

That all gets thrown Immediately out the window, when your a new player picking up the controller (or mouse) for your very first time, you will Die, and you will die A LOT.. and in the process of your dying you will lose many many worlds and be forced into a brand new freshly randomly generated world to Re-Explore all over again.

So when actually locating Pearl or the Ruins becomes a major Chore, no one is going to invest in pretty furniture.

However- Even the most basic of noobs can easily learn how to craft a science machine & even alchemy engine.

So- The only reason it exists the way it exists right now, is to give veteran players a task to go do for Maximizing friendship points with Pearl.

But in a game where it’s foundation is largely built on random world generation- Having to spend hours looking for the places you need to go just to build some basic wooden furniture in your base simply isn’t fun.

Now do note: That the Relic Chair task to befriend points with the grumpy crab lady should remain the same, but decorating a base that will 9 times out of 10 be smashed by your very first encounter with a Deerclops, should not.

I feel like it makes sense for this one thing. Furniture decor to me seems like it could disrupt gameplay in various ways. Making it obtuse to obtain in this manner which keeps it away from public servers for a while comes off as an entirely intentional delay method / protective measure. It is strange though that supposedly not even megabases uses them, I find that hard to believe.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So when actually locating Pearl or the Ruins becomes a major Chore, no one is going to invest in pretty furniture.

But in a game where it’s foundation is largely built on random world generation- Having to spend hours looking for the places you need to go just to build some basic wooden furniture in your base simply isn’t fun.

This topic again? I've already explained to you weeks ago finding Pearl is dead easy(her bottles tell you where she is), and ruins can be found early on if you pay attention to caves generation patterns.

Honestly this is just skill issue and not listening to other people when they point out the easy solution to the problem you think is difficult :wilson_curious:

Probably is the fact that it mostly makes chair and table stuff which doesn't look that good in like... not a housing place.

The only fun thing out of the decoration side of that update was the gramophone and you cannot keep it blasting ragtime 24/7 sadly.

3 hours ago, landromat said:

It still is quite the random requirement, it also doesn't help that a player just wouldn't know that thing even exists because you don't get it from trading but rather Pearl just rejecting the sad excuse of a chair you give her.

Archived