Some crock pot dishes are horrible, why?

Crock Pot dishes are supposed to improve efficiency of ingredients, so why do so many of the dishes blatantly suck when it comes to their recipe-reward ratio? Why do some exclusive dishes fail horribly?

Examples of the Worst

• Rattatouille

It restores a mere 25 Hunger, 5 Sanity and 3 Health. The only reason anyone would ever cook this outside of cookbook completion is if they were Warly and REALLY desperate. Not even four redcaps is justifiable, you can use those as filler for other dishes, same with the 0 hunger roasted mushrooms. Buff it to atleast 50 hunger so the ingredients required actually do something useful instead of go to waste. Most of the vegetables in this game have an average hunger value of 12.5, which adds up to 50 hunger. This would give it a somewhat useful usecase, as it would do its job of restoring the hunger of roasted mushrooms and not be a waste if Warly wants to eat his veggies and doesent have anything cool to make with them.

• Asparagus Soup

This restores 20 Health, which is good, but the rest of the stats are horrible. Just punch a butterfly. It also requires farm plants for this reward, when potatoes and toma roots and tons of other farm plants restore 20 health for a lot less work. Two ice and you got asparagazpacho as Warly, which doesent restore much more either, but the cooling effect is worth it. I'd never cook asparagus soup. This dish is bad for all the same reasons rattatouille is bad.

The Ocean

• Barnacles

Barnacle dishes arent worth it. Fish value for better dishes like moqueca'd be the only reason you ever got this. Nigiri is just a more expensive pierogi, Pita is just a cheaper nigiri that restores less health, stuffed fish heads is just bacon and eggs, most of the barnacle recipes are just other dishes but with a marked up price. When was the last time you ate anything made from barnacles? 

• Figs

Figs are in a weird spot. Their dishes arent just other dishes in a trench coat, but they're still overpriced and unconventional, except for figatoni. You can generally grow some amount of figs in your base with knobbly trees and especially docks, but then again, unless you're Wurt, theres a thing called meat that's way easier than anything you can find in the ocean, and generally restore more stats.

• Lunar Island

The lunar island is the least problematic here. It's one of the best food sources all game. Who can say no to avocados that are rocks a third of the time? Same with kelp, easily mass producable filler for crock pot dishes, or dryable for sanity. Anenemies are also great, as they allow several farms to be made

• Moon Quay Island

The moon quay also has the issue of providing an easily farmable low-maintenance food source in the form of bananas, which are great fruit value and also has some unique dishes, being Banana Shake, Pop, and Frozen Daiquiri, who all gratuated from quick sanity restoration class in crock pot college.

• The Problem (with the ocean)

The problem is that Barnacles and Figs are both grown in the ocean and either only have a certain amount of places to place them in the form of sea stacks and are rather picky with when to harvest them, or take a long time to grow or set up, or both. Warly is the person who benefits the most from Barnacles, as Moqueca is very mass producable with them, but Meaty stews, banana shakes and pierogies are usually more beneficial and farmable. 

The Problem (with most dishes)

• The part where i dont talk about the actual problem

A lot of dishes are either bad or there is something better. Who needs Crepes when Tall scotch eggs exist? Who needs Moqueca when Meaty Stew and a tent exists? Who needs any option when there's an easier or better option out there for stat restoration? But im getting off topic.

• The part where i talk about the actual problem

Basically, if a dish has ingredients that are expensive or restore more stats than the dish its needed for, said dish will usually not good, barring special effects. ( Noone would make volt goat chaud froid for hunger, but up to 2.5x damage (3x with spicy) is rather powerful but not for said hunger ) This is the case with too many dishes. I hope a lot of them get buffed or rebalanced. Atleast the system is way better than most other games that just have super limited unfailable recipes with no usefulness or uniqueness :)

• The part where i realize this was super unstructured despite trying to format

Oh wow this was very unstructured despite me trying to format

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShyRasan123 said:
  • Rattatouille

It restores a mere 25 Hunger, 5 Sanity and 3 Health. The only reason anyone would ever cook this outside of cookbook completion is if they were Warly and REALLY desperate. Not even four redcaps is justifiable, you can use those as filler for other dishes, same with the 0 hunger roasted mushrooms. Buff it to atleast 50 hunger so the ingredients required actually do something useful instead of go to waste. Most of the vegetables in this game have an average hunger value of 12.5, which adds up to 50 hunger. This would give it a somewhat useful usecase, as it would do its job of restoring the hunger of roasted mushrooms and not be a waste if Warly wants to eat his veggies and doesent have anything cool to make with them.

This is on purpouse. It is a punishment dish.

3 minutes ago, ShyRasan123 said:
  • Asparagus Soup

This restores 20 Health, which is good, but the rest of the stats are horrible. Just punch a butterfly. It also requires farm plants for this reward, when potatoes and toma roots and tons of other farm plants restore 20 health for a lot less work. Two ice and you got asparagazpacho as Warly, which doesent restore much more either, but the cooling effect is worth it. I'd never cook asparagus soup. This dish is bad for all the same reasons rattatouille is bad.

I agree asparagus soup needs buffed, it is just worse cooked potato but more expensive.

4 minutes ago, ShyRasan123 said:
  • Figs

Figs are in a weird spot. Their dishes arent just other dishes in a trench coat, but they're still overpriced and unconventional, except for figatoni. You can generally grow some amount of figs in your base with knobbly trees and especially docks, but then again, unless you're Wurt, theres a thing called meat that's way easier than anything you can find in the ocean, and generally restore more stats.

I agree. Idk why fig stuffed trunk is so bad. Figatoni is good.

6 minutes ago, ShyRasan123 said:
  • Moon Quay Island

The moon quay also has the issue of providing an easily farmable low-maintenance food source in the form of bananas, which are great fruit value and also has some unique dishes, being Banana Shake, Pop, and Frozen Daiquiri, who all gratuated from quick sanity restoration class in crock pot college.

They ruined bananas for me. Used to be a cool thing i would farm for fun in caves. 

Also the 1. Dish that needs buffed is guacamoley. It is a unique and interesing recipe, yet is useless.

• Like 2
  • Sanity 1

3 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

This is on purpouse. It is a punishment dish.

I don't get ratatouille as a punishment dish. Why punish uncreativity? It's not a case of monster meat, where something has to be done to prevent the easiest meaty stew ever, but its just something made with veggies that isnt anything else. I'd be fine with a buff up to 32.5 hunger, it'd still be bad but just not as bad.

12 minutes ago, Jakepeng99 said:

Also the 1. Dish that needs buffed is guacamoley. It is a unique and interesing recipe, yet is useless.

Yeah. Should be better than meatballs for ingredients that could just as easily be used for meatballs. I see it fitting with the other liquid-y sanity dishes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ShyRasan123 said:

I don't get ratatouille as a punishment dish. Why punish uncreativity? It's not a case of monster meat, where something has to be done to prevent the easiest meaty stew ever, but its just something made with veggies that isnt anything else. I'd be fine with a buff up to 32.5 hunger, it'd still be bad but just not as bad.

I am starting to agree with you now.

• Haha 1

Buffing ratty to 50 hunger is a bit much, agreed it should be a bit higher then what it is though.

Asparagus soup is so mediocre though, 20 hp is alright, but why would I ever make soup when Vegetable Stinger exists? Much more filling and restores a lot of sanity compared to most dishes for basically a similar, and better, recipe.

Figs and Barnacles dishes should just be better across the board.

Just now, Jakepeng99 said:

Eh compared to the dozen of farm plants that give 20hp when cooked.

That's why I said 'Alright'...

Also, looking at other recipes with comparable stats, I'm surprised Bunny Stew and Breakfast Skillet have the values they do for being 'uncreative' and 'punishing' dishes. Even though Bunny Stew and Breakfast Skillet could be considered harder to make, compared to their better counterparts.

The game's food balance kept getting broken and broken again with new ways of farming food and yet Klei doesn't make any effort fixing it.

Just look at stone fruits, bull kelps, banana bushes and the new farming system, food is more abundant than ever. The "more food for more players in DST" argument doesn't work here, one player can easily farm excess amount of food for 5 under the current system, stacks and stacks of rot piling up constantly from excess food.

The crock pot recipes are worse, especially the banana milkshake, makes other sanity foods like potato puree look like total garbage. Honestly I don't think Klei thought about balancing at all during the design process.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, _zwb said:

The game's food balance kept getting broken and broken again with new ways of farming food and yet Klei doesn't make any effort fixing it.

Just look at stone fruits, bull kelps, banana bushes and the new farming system, food is more abundant than ever. The "more food for more players in DST" argument doesn't work here, one player can easily farm excess amount of food for 5 under the current system, stacks and stacks of rot piling up constantly from excess food.

The crock pot recipes are worse, especially the banana milkshake, makes other sanity foods like potato puree look like total garbage. Honestly I don't think Klei thought about balancing at all during the design process.

It isn't immediately apparent to new players that they could just rush lunar island, dig up the stone fruit bushes and be set for food for the rest of their playthrough. Without any prior knowledge, players wouldn't inherently know to cook monster meat and 3x ice meatballs to sustain themselves. The variety in crock pot recipes encourages experimentation, and lets players discover which recipes are mediocre and which ones are worth gunning for. 

Sadly, I'm a wiki fiend myself so the experimentation kind of just goes out the window. But by no means every player does or is expected to look up a wiki or guide for every feature, and I think that's the assumption Klei is going under when creating features. After all, why make a Scrapbook if under the assumption every player would go to a wiki for a more detailed source of information?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trips said:

new players

I don't get this, is new players not knowing about those making them balanced? This has nothing to do with new food sources being too powerful.

18 minutes ago, Trips said:

But by no means every player does or is expected to look up a wiki or guide for every feature, and I think that's the assumption Klei is going under when creating features

Not really, take the mutant bosses as an example, how are you supposed to find out about the weaknesses? Klei must have assumed players reached this stage already read tutorials. And honestly I'll be stuck here forever if I start listing all the things you need a tutorial to figure out.

Edited by _zwb

4 minutes ago, _zwb said:

Not really, take the mutant bosses as an example, how are you supposed to find out about the weaknesses?

hit them after dodging their attack? The new bosses suck and are boring but it's very easy to understand what you're supposed to do aside from deerclops, the only problem is that most other enemies hit behind them too so most might not understand that you can dodge their attacks to the side unless you realised that when fighting normal deerclops and bearger  

31 minutes ago, _zwb said:

The game's food balance kept getting broken and broken again with new ways of farming food and yet Klei doesn't make any effort fixing it

if we're talking about playing solo and killing bosses, then the dishes and foods that existed since RoG are still better than the new dishes and the new farming since those take a ton more time to get and require going out of your way   

Ratatouille is a big thing for early winters as Wurt and an easy dish for Warlys constant need of variety. And honestly, I like that not all dishes are equal or serve a perfect purpose - it makes them feel more natural and less like on-the-nose game design. I remember the old days, when I knew not a single dish and was experiementing to figured out new ones more and more. The idea is that theres stuff thats easy to make and common, but just mid in terms of stats and then there are really good dishes that require a more careful selection of ingredients.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valase said:

Asparagus soup was a good dish in  Hamlet due the fact that you could make it with "Asparagus/foliage/stick/stick" for an easy 20 healing.

I already love Asparagus Soup in Hamlet and I didnt even know the recipe was THAT easy there

If I have a bunch of spoiling vegetables and need food I cook them, turn them into Rattatouille and now they're fresh, don't drain my sanity or health, and last a good while in the ice box than if they were just cooked alone. Every dish can serve a purpose depending on what you have. It's the more complicated dishes with hard to get ingredients (like anything requiring butter) that are near useless because they take too much effort to create, but they exist just for fun I assume.

Edited by hoppin mandrake

5 hours ago, Dorka said:

Not everything needs to have some grand purpose, it's just variety. Most people only use like 3 recipes to fill hunger, sanity, or health. 

The thing is if I choose to make something more out-of-the-way like barnacle dishes, I'd still like to be rewarded for the effort even if it's meaningless in the wider scope. It's about a sense of self satisfaction and novelty.

Spoiler

Dang i love barnacles. I like rushing them since theyre pretty flexible 

They turn into eggs, and if you need long lasting food for long treks, 3 barnacles (1 full harvest) and a single big meat make bacon and eggs.  If you want health just turn em into fish sticks. 3 barnacles (again, 1full harvest) and a stick makes em. This is all passive food income too.  At base they last 30 days in the fridge when cooked, and like someone above said, linguine is great for just casual stuff in/near base 

I will say tho its reaaaaaally annoying rock sharks target them and theres nothing they can do since theyre too fast for the flowers to hit

Edit: oh you meant the direct barnacle dishes. Yeah fish heads definetly needs a buff either thru longer spoilage time, or if the time must stay, better stats. Pita can stay the same as the butter muffin of the sea and Nigiri seems ok too tbh. Only thing holding Nigiri back is that kelp fronds are limited and time consuming to move around once placed

I think the idea behind the low spoilage was, coupled with the long cooked barnacle duration, they want you to make the dishes when you need them, but thats lame, and leafy meat dishes already do that

Edited by Brago-sama

In defense of figs, they're more versatile than crockpot foods because of their uses to make more fig trees. The crockpot dishes are just a bonus, perhaps to make the world seem more lively. I think most  of the foods in the game made in a crockpot are a sheer novelty. It's a little unrealistic to balance all 100+ foods in the game. Whatever exists exists. The cream rises to the top. It's a shame sometimes that you can optimize the fun out of cooking though. 

I've got nothing but honey hams at this point in the game and I'm trying to figure out a way to make surf n turf more feasible to farm up, but it's a pest of a food to get many of in a lot of ways, but there are ways. 

Food is just hyper abundant in the game if you delegate certain tasks and priorities. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Falkenpelz said:

Ratatouille is a big thing for early winters as Wurt and an easy dish for Warlys constant need of variety. And honestly, I like that not all dishes are equal or serve a perfect purpose - it makes them feel more natural and less like on-the-nose game design. I remember the old days, when I knew not a single dish and was experiementing to figured out new ones more and more. The idea is that theres stuff thats easy to make and common, but just mid in terms of stats and then there are really good dishes that require a more careful selection of ingredients.

Kelp is also a big thing for early winters as Wurt, no penalty for eating and highly farmable. I don't find myself making rattatouille as Warly unless im about to starve and have literally nothing else i can cook. Better than wet goop, worse than almost everything else. I find myself rather making monster tartare than rattatouille. The 20 health and sanity are easily replenishable by other dishes. That sanity is back after a bit because i usually wear a top hat because it looks cool, health is back after i eat two meaty stews. It keeps me alive for long enough to make something else. 32.5 hunger ratatouille would make it atleast semi-worth it