The concept of a mob that will give a little liveliness to the ocean(Steller's sea cow )

In the real world, there was such an animal as Steller's sea cow, but it was exterminated. But I thought she really fits well into the world of constants!

101_20231116154533.png.f56a4c63c716a2f4c23bef94304877cb.png

They swam in shallow water near the shore in small flocks(Sometimes in deeper water). Sometimes they would eat brown algae. They will slowly float away if you attack them. But if you attack a cub, they will attack you with the whole herd. Since they have a thick hide, the damage inflicted on them will be reduced. You have 2 ways: you can kill them and get a lot of meat, or you can periodically collect special symbiotic algae from their backs and cook a hearty dish from them.They would breed like a beefalo but in the fall.

They could revive the shores and the ocean is Constant, and we would be able to see these wonderful creatures, at least in Constant

scale_1200(3).png.40708b2ed2bdf490e00117914ff957c6.png

10 minutes ago, Creatorofswamps said:

In the real world, there was such an animal as Steller's sea cow, but it was exterminated. But I thought she really fits well into the world of constants!

101_20231116154533.png.f56a4c63c716a2f4c23bef94304877cb.png

They swam in shallow water near the shore in small flocks(Sometimes in deeper water). Sometimes they would eat brown algae. They will slowly float away if you attack them. But if you attack a cub, they will attack you with the whole herd. Since they have a thick hide, the damage inflicted on them will be reduced. You have 2 ways: you can kill them and get a lot of meat, or you can periodically collect special symbiotic algae from their backs and cook a hearty dish from them.They would breed like a beefalo but in the fall.

They could revive the shores and the ocean is Constant, and we would be able to see these wonderful creatures, at least in Constant

scale_1200(3).png.40708b2ed2bdf490e00117914ff957c6.png

Looks like a manatee. 

While I do greatly enjoy and appreciate the design and concept, I don't think it would actually help the ocean's problems. While something else to find out there would be kinda nice I suppose, the ocean's main problem right now is that nothing out there really benefits you on the mainland to a notable degree. Almost everything you can get is either for sailing itself, or only a side-grade to what you can already get on the mainland. And this definitly falls into the latter IMO.

Either that Algae is one of the single best food sources in the game, on par with post-RWYS farming and Tall Scotch eggs, or it's just going to be another member of the "Only OK ocean food sources that never get used" club, along side Figs, Barnacles, and fish meat.

12 minutes ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Why tho. Walking cane is already so good.

It could use an itsy-bitsy buff, I don't mind going faster just a little bit.

Or tell you what squishy glommer man, a harpoon to hunt for the water mobs ! Most of the mobs in the ocean are running away or a bit far from reach so I can see that.

19 minutes ago, JustAFlower said:

It could use an itsy-bitsy buff, I don't mind going faster just a little bit.

Or tell you what squishy glommer man, a harpoon to hunt for the water mobs ! Most of the mobs in the ocean are running away or a bit far from reach so I can see that.

Maybe not a speed buff but a damage buff could work really well. I don't know if anyone uses walking cane to fight but i use it a lot for non-horde low hp creatures. 25 damage would be fair, low enough to not use when actually fighting but enough for convenience.

3 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

What do you think it could drop?

Maybe some blubber for a life vest?

Resulting penalties for getting dunked could be good

In reality, they have a lot of fat, so adding drop fat would be a cool idea, they would be an analogue of a whale from the a shipwreck!

3 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Like a beef in water. Ngl not a bad idea there has to be cons though.

This animal is slow, this is its main minus)

14 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

Maybe not a speed buff but a damage buff could work really well. I don't know if anyone uses walking cane to fight but i use it a lot for non-horde low hp creatures. 25 damage would be fair, low enough to not use when actually fighting but enough for convenience.

Maybe this is a really good idea:wilson_dorky:

16 hours ago, BalkanCockroach said:

There has to be cons otherwise boats are useless (except being able to place structures). But now that i think about it how would you even dismount it on water.

Funny how now we need cons for everything no matter how much better it'd make the experience of sailing yet almost no one talks about the rampant and eternally present now character power creep.

Archived