Ice Crystaleyezer Feedback

First of all I'd like to show my appreciation for the new content, I'm having lots of fun tinkering around with the new stuff and everything added was a great addition. Overall amazing update and a ton of fun all around.

On the topic of fun items, the new Spark Ark craftables stand out a series of coveted and game-changing items, with every item being hard to obtain. The Polar Bearger Bin grants the player portable food storage with an extremely low perish rate, standard crockpot foods last hundreds of days now; you'll be hard-pressed to find a player that doesn't want one of these in hand. The Howlitzer offers an accessible and effective ranged weapon which is not something you usually see in DST, it's a complete playstyle-changer. I've been having so much fun using this item to kill most enemies from a range with ease.

The one item that stands out among the three is the Ice Crystalezer, it has such a unique and super fun concept but it is just... not a good item and extremely hard to use. The Ice Crystaleyezer sets everything in a 6 tile radius to freezing temperatures when a Deerclops Eyeball is inserted into it, think of it like making it winter-like in a local area.

The Ice Crystalezer is a super interesting item but it's held back by it's radius, it's so small that you can barely utilize it's unique perks and the idea of placing it is terrifying because hammering it won't return your Spark Ark. The radius should be cranked up, by a LARGE amount. I think if you want the Ice Crystalezer to meet both the Howlitzer and Polar Beager Bin in both power and game-changing functionality the range needs to be nearly as big as a biome.

Having the range be significantly bigger opens the door for very interesting opportunities, it can now benefit players on a large scale instead of the such limited small scale as it was before, but not everything is perfect because it's still winter weather on a not global scale. Having the increase in range opens up some more interesting mechanics as well, such as changing the crop season or opening Mactusk camps back up.

I'd love to see the Ice Crystaleyezer get retuned a little because at it's current state it's very hard to justify picking over the other items and I would love to see it fit in as a must-have pick that the other items are.

Yes!!! The Ice Crystaleyezer is such a fun concept to me of trading a seasons challenges for anothers. Not to diss items like Practical Rain Rituals or similar that kind of nullify/disable seasonal effects, but the Crystaleyezer so far is so much more interesting to me on the premise of trading/switching around downsides rather than nullifying them.

Increasing the range much more and making it a "true" Winter simulator by allowing snow robin spawns, changing crop season, changing behavior of certain mobs (some mobs don't like going outside during Winter, Powder monkeys are one of them!), Winter koalephant spawns, ice glacier regeneration, even effects like snow falling and on the ground would be really awesome to see.

I was hyped that maybe I could use the crystaleyezer for krampus sack farming, but sadly the freezing effect was not strong enough. This item is at a very ambiguous position for now unlike the other 2 spark ark craftings, besides the fact it doesn't return the spark ark when destroyed.

3 hours ago, Hornete said:

Increasing the range much more and making it a "true" Winter simulator by allowing snow robin spawns, changing crop season, changing behavior of certain mobs (some mobs don't like going outside during Winter, Powder monkeys are one of them!), Winter koalephant spawns, ice glacier regeneration, even effects like snow falling and on the ground would be really awesome to see.

Klaus sack spawning during Summer. Christmas in July. ;-)

8 hours ago, splorange said:

you'll be hard-pressed to find a player that doesn't want one of these in hand

It me, that player

Bundling Wrap has obsoleted any sort of fridge for me. If it perishes and I care about it not doing that I'm putting it in a wrap. Grass farms are so efficient that I don't think I will ever run out. A few mouse clicks more to access my food vs infinite spoilage time?

3 hours ago, SirToastyToes said:

It me, that player

Bundling Wrap has obsoleted any sort of fridge for me. If it perishes and I care about it not doing that I'm putting it in a wrap. Grass farms are so efficient that I don't think I will ever run out. A few mouse clicks more to access my food vs infinite spoilage time?

But you can carry 3 stacks of powcake with all 3 spices + stack of jelly beans + a stack of hunger food and another of sanity food that will not get stale before you consume it all :) All of this in 1 slot. Its incredible

I do still bundle my Voltgoat Jelly and Fish Cardon, but this item is an insane game changer :)

Also i agree with everything @splorange as said about the Crystalizer. The range makes this item absolutely pointless right now. Would also be interesting too see it trigger winter mechanics as you mentioned. Really cool idea.

Let me place it on a boat and during summer instead of making it cold, the heat counters the cold & just makes the temperature neutral.

like seriously there are no good structures in the game to smoulder proof your boat with, this thing could be one of the BEST options for that..

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

the heat counters the cold & just makes the temperature neutral.

In my last test, summer heat on the hottest summer days is not enough to stop the ambient temperature from going below freezing point.

10 hours ago, GLERMZ said:

But you can carry 3 stacks of powcake with all 3 spices + stack of jelly beans + a stack of hunger food and another of sanity food that will not get stale before you consume it all :) All of this in 1 slot. Its incredible

I do still bundle my Voltgoat Jelly and Fish Cardon, but this item is an insane game changer :)

I will probably build one since I'm going to try and get all these items anyway, but I'm not convinced in my initial impressions

Archived