Rifts should spawn naturally after 2 years in game.

On 10/11/2023 at 5:13 PM, EatenCheetos said:

I think you misunderstand. I’m not asking for the game to be easier, I’m asking for it to be harder. Normally players don’t *have* to go explore the endgame content like the ruins, the ancient archives, the lunar island, all the fun bossfights, etc. However, if something like rifts showed up naturally, then players are forced do all the other endgame stuff so they can get the gear needed to survive.

Like I mentioned previously, the endgame is completely optional and it is very much against the spirit of the game to wait until the players feel like completing it. I say no! Force the players to beat nightmare werepig, the shadow pieces, ancient fuelweaver, etc. The game is supposed to be unforgiving and the challenges wait for nobody.

In summary, instead of players completing the endgame content whenever they feel like it, if they ever feel like it — we should force them to complete it so they get the gear necessary to survive the rifts.

The rifts are consequences to the choices you made after defeating the hardest of bosses in the game

Are you seriously asking Klei to ignore and scrap all the progression and questline they've set up over the years?

The game is already pretty hard on a new player. If you really just want rift content without going through the process of activating it in your world, we have world settings for that. Have fun in your own way. The game is pretty customizable anyway. Just know that a whole lot of people dislike this idea being default 

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Anyway, the op wants new content to start popping up after the first or second in game year with a sort of “Through the Ages” style ramping progression in the game getting more difficult the longer we’ve stayed alive.

I'm keen for that too, a lot of my recent comments are advocating or suggesting some extra weather effects and mechanics in the mid-late game. I just don't think rifts (or moonstorms for that matter) should be the same, they're both thematically and mechanically events that occur because of Player intervention and progression in the constant - helping wagstaff and overcoming new guardians/bosses etc. They're specifically built for the late game as rewards and new effects/interactions for doing certain tasks. 

We should simply receive other new world effects and mechanics that occur after enough time has passed that aren't directly linked to the "quest line" for lack of a better term.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Your okay with that because obviously your some kinda god at the game and don’t mind doing all the quests and fighting all the bosses to reach that point, other people (like the Op) may not be too thrilled with that idea.

Trust me I'm not, I'm really not. I may have overcome all the challenges the game has to offer solo and on console but I'm terrible at rushing and generally take a lot of time building my base before tackling the bosses in new worlds. I always build bunnymen to beat BQ and have never done it legit, I only started fighting Klaus (when I can even manage it) on the first winter a few years ago (years after having the game and playing off and on), I've only beaten FW legit no cheese no gunpowder a few times (hes brutal solo on console especially before you know about volt jelly, before most reworks or skill trees etc). Hell the majority of the time I play is on my super long term late game world where I have it on absolute easy street. When I do play pubs I feel obliged to contribute to making the best base I can for both myself and others and rarely even get to fighting bosses that often unless I play a klei server multiple sessions. 

It's much less about skill and more about knowledge, patience and practise with DST. You can take less efficient and easier routes by simply stockpiling tons of certain resources like armor, food, resources etc and tanking a boss fight for example. I literally used to make like 20 armor and a stack of pierogis for harder boss fights (like 20+ Helms or whatever and a stack of pierogi for one boss fight, plus a bunch of weapons) because I just wanted to be as prepared as possible and wasn't confident or very knowledgeable about the games mechanics and how to kite anything but the easiest kiting patterns at that point. It worked the majority of the time, yeah I was being inefficient as hell but it got the job done.

I'm getting off on a tangent now but the point I'm trying to make is that it isn't that hard to get to the late game and get through the "quest line". It's more about the patience of sticking to one world for a while. Yes online info and guides help a ton but it's not too hard to achieve with a bit of select searches on the more cryptic or random interactions and mechanics without just outright using guides or this forum for everything. You can also always get help with it being Multiplayer, pretty sure back when Crab King first got added I couldn't beat him without a second player helping me and I couldn't beat FW until someone showed me how the first time. 

You don't need to be a pro to get to late game just some specific info and some  dedication to do so and help doesn't hurt. 

Edit: You don't have to kill all the bosses there are technically several you can skip like toadstool, dfly, beequeen (debatable I guess, bundle wraps help a crazy amount), Malbatross, Klaus and Bearger. 

2 hours ago, mykenception said:

Are you seriously asking Klei to ignore and scrap all the progression and questline they've set up over the years?

The game is already pretty hard on a new player.

1. Rift content will actually require players fight the bosses and get the late game gear so they can survive. This change would push more players into doing the progression and questlines.

2. A new player is not going to survive 2 years, let alone 1.

4 minutes ago, EatenCheetos said:

1. Rift content will actually require players fight the bosses and get the late game gear so they can survive. This change would push more players into doing the progression and questlines.

2. A new player is not going to survive 2 years, let alone 1.

with rifts turned on from the start, and decent gear like some football helms and hambats, you can grab the brightshade gear quite quickly. All it takes is some prior knowledge on how to beat brightshades, mine a few ryftals since you can mine them with just regular pickaxes and patience, and a trip to the lunar island to make the smithy

by then you get repairable gear that you can use against all types of enemies

I don't really see why players need to fight all the bosses needed to get to CC/AFW when you get post-rift gear already which is ridiculously good on their own

legit no point doing the questline unless you wanna have the Enlightened Crown or reset the ruins and have AFW loot. And by then with the Brightshade gear, you wouldn't have much problem fighting them to begin with

On 11/5/2023 at 3:23 AM, Hollow soul 3 said:

Just turn them on when you hit 140

The more I play with Wild Rifts toggled to On since Day 1, the more I’m convinced that Lunar and in extension Shadow Rift contents & challenges are Too Little, Too Late.

As a Disclaimer: I have never been able to reach the point of Activating Lunar & Shadow Rifts the Intended way, HOWEVER I have TRIED to reach this point & that’s why/where/and how I can judge this content.

Players Who activate Rift content the intended way will already have access to some of the best armors and weapons within the game, so small changes to gameplay such as slightly tougher variation of Frog Rains with Bright Eyed Frogs or having Brightshades spawn on and block off resource useage won’t even pose a threat to them.

So to cut this into a TL:DR the new content is placed too far within the games structure when it should in all honesty be somewhere in the Mid-Game.

I agree with the OP that this newer content should just naturally start on its own after the first or second season cycle.

I can only assume that reason why it DOESN’T is so that players have the option of opting into or out of activating it.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Players Who activate Rift content the intended way will already have access to some of the best armors and weapons within the game

You can already get thulecite crowns and ham bats before the first wave of brightshades infects plants if you enable rifts from the start of the world and even if you don't, you'll then just be practically pushed into getting rift weapons and armor which are better than pre-rift stuff for both, rift enemies and pre-rift enemies on day 11 or whenever the first wave of brightshades infects plants, the only part left to do out of own initiative will be going to lunar to craft brightsmithy.

On 9/30/2023 at 7:03 AM, EatenCheetos said:

1. The difficulty of a normal playthrough stops ramping after 100 days.

Bruh this is crazy, are you one of those "Wolfgang full-cheese rushers" or what? Because unless you are hardcore rushing the game theres no way that by day 100 you already kill CC.

And yeah the base difficulty stops ramping as in "max quantity of hounds" and all that, but from what I've seen in the servers I have played  most people are lucky if they have a Tam O Shanter or farmed an entire ruins by day 200, and CC is not on the table until like day 500. Most people play the game in a way more chill manner.

Making the rifts a naturally spawning thing by day 200 is crazy, mostly because of the brightshades (which I ******* love and would have no issue in having them appearing at day 1, but most players barely even know about the baits and all that, and for newer players its a huge deal).

And if you are rushing the game you could easily activate the rifts yourself after killing Werepig and CC 1 time, so I dont get why it should be a naturally ocurring mechanic.

What if rifts would spawn after a set amount of time...but only as weaker versions that give significantly fewer resources, and they would spawn only rarely.  This means unlocking the rifts the normal way is still very important.  

On 11/18/2023 at 3:19 AM, jimagine said:

What if rifts would spawn after a set amount of time...but only as weaker versions that give significantly fewer resources, and they would spawn only rarely.  This means unlocking the rifts the normal way is still very important.  

At that point you can literally just add more pre rift challenges no need to do this complex thing

4 hours ago, Capybara007 said:

At that point you can literally just add more pre rift challenges no need to do this complex thing

That would ultimately depend on what Klei’s overall goal is for rifts And how customizable they are within world Gen settings.

For example: Deadly Brightshades are a relatively easy to kill mob that give you resources to craft new armors and weapons to help you to better deal with killing deadly Brightshades- this is as noob content as Killing Pigmen for Pigskin to craft Hambats and Football Helmets..

Then there’s the harder content Klei recently added to intentionally try to make the rift content harder so that it warrants being locked behind super super late game progression such as the 3 undead bosses.

Perhaps rifts can have different difficulty stages based on how much you interacted with them?

Such as prior to defeating CC/AFW they offer beginner/intermediate threats and challenges.

But after defeating CC/AFW and also unlocking your characters Affinity skills- The game can throw super late game content at you?

For me personally I see Brightshades as being identical to Pigmen, I can force them to spawn where I want.. and I can use them as Armor/Weapon resources, and can also hire them as a mob to help me kill stuff (Brightshades Prox attack can be triggered by a Boomerang if y’all didn’t know, it’s a cheap way to kill many high health mobs or bosses ;))

I think (depending on how much gameplay content Klei actually plans to add to rifts…) that we could have both early-mid game, and ultra end game challenges spawn from them.

Have our cake & eat it too moment.

Archived