Building with uranium ore - how to work on a glowing future

I just started my first post radiation introduction colony and found myself a lovely "radiation eater" (duplicant with this perk^^).

=> I wanted to explore the idea of sprinkling some radioactive buildings into my colony to provide a "healthy glow".

Now I found myself descending into quite the rabbit hole:

- Doors build with uranium ore DO emit radiation.

- Airflow and Mesh tiles (and all buildings i tested) DO NOT emit radiation.

-Metal tiles build with depleted uranium DO emit radiation.

-Anything else build with depleted uranium I tested so far DOES NOT emit radiation.

=> I hope someone already did check what buildables CAN emit radiation (provided the right building material) and can provide the information here ;)

Already thanks for your contribution

On 6/17/2023 at 2:59 AM, asurendra said:

Only doors, metal and natural tiles actually. Mesh tiles from game point of view arent actually tiles, they are debris :)

Actually, I think anything with an internal natural tile inside (so all solid tiles...) will work. And mesh tiles aren't debris, they are buildings.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:46 PM, Lilalaunekuh said:

found myself a lovely "radiation eater"

it sounds awesome on paper, but when I last tested it it was broken and unbalanced to the point of being useless :(

But if you play with mods there is one that allows you to modify radiation parameters and make the trait more fun

15 hours ago, Nova Starlight said:

Actually, I think anything with an internal natural tile inside (so all solid tiles...) will work.

In vanilla game you cant build regular tile from uranuim ore...  Only metal ones

And mesh tiles aren't debris, they are buildings.

Buildings exchange heat only with material in cell they occupy. Except tempshift plate which hard-coded to have different behavior. 

Mesh tiles exchange heat with liquid or gass inside. And with solid tile below them. Just like debris. Also they share the same heat exchange formula, while buildings have different one. So they definitely behave like debris, not buildings

1 hour ago, asurendra said:

Mesh tiles exchange heat with liquid or gass inside. And with solid tile below them. Just like debris. Also they share the same heat exchange formula, while buildings have different one. So they definitely behave like debris, not buildings

What. I have never ever heard of this before...

Holy sh*t it's true. This is a revelation. I wonder what application can come out of this (I'm guessing not much lol)

PS: Also like debris, mesh tiles can't cause other materials to phase by heat transfer.

PPS: Also like debris, mesh tiles don't interact with conduction panels.

PPPS: How did you gain this arcane knowledge?

PPPPS: Oh. It's a @mathmanican post. That damned ONI scientist... :)))

On 7/19/2023 at 8:11 PM, pether said:

it sounds awesome on paper, but when I last tested it it was broken and unbalanced to the point of being useless :(

Radiation Eater is a truly fantastic trait if you play on max rad difficulty and the Dupe isn't otherwise too crippled (that is to say if a dupe has Rad Eater it may be worth taking them even if they are otherwise fairly average or even slightly bad), that's mainly because its power to consume rads is not diminished by rad difficulty, unlike many other sources of rad reduction, so a Rad Eater can endure far more daily rads than other dupes, also it's the most useful form of rad reduction, continuously lowering the rad accumulation rather than taking out a chunk at once, thus it's good at stopping rad sickness appearing in the first place and in principle it would allow a dupe crippled by severe radiation sickness and unable to do anything to recover precisely because it doesn't require the dupe to do anything, it passively and continuously removes rads. Rad Pills are also a decent option on max rad difficulty but they need micromanagement, while with a rad eater dupe you just have only that dupe having access to the high rad environment such as sending that dupe to colonize a high rad planetoid.

Though the actual calories granted are 100% irrelevant because it's so easy to just send an excess of berry sludge and never worry about calories.

5 minutes ago, blakemw said:

Radiation Eater is a truly fantastic trait if you play on max rad difficulty (...)

Though the actual calories granted are 100% irrelevant because it's so easy to just send an excess of berry sludge and never worry about calories.

OK, I didn't consider non-default difficulty, you are right there.

I was more focused on the calories part - it produces 50kcal/cycle if I remember correctly, that is so little it's not worth taking into account...

On 7/21/2023 at 6:09 PM, pether said:

OK, I didn't consider non-default difficulty, you are right there.

I was more focused on the calories part - it produces 50kcal/cycle if I remember correctly, that is so little it's not worth taking into account...

Put a metal radiation tile under his bed for that extra foods.

11 hours ago, cyberwarlord said:

It doesn't work like that. You don't need to feed them radiation, they will generate free food no matter how much rads they got

On 8/29/2023 at 11:06 PM, pether said:
On 8/29/2023 at 11:38 AM, cyberwarlord said:

It doesn't work like that. You don't need to feed them radiation, they will generate free food no matter how much rads they got

To be precise I build metal DOORS under my beds and it does generate minuscle amounts of "free" kcal/food.

[And MORE WORK TIME since my duplicants need just a little less time eating each day]

14 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

To be precise I build metal DOORS under my beds and it does generate minuscle amounts of "free" kcal/food.

[And MORE WORK TIME since my duplicants need just a little less time eating each day]

again - it doesn't work like that.

you can remove those doors, they will generate exactly the same amount of kcal, 50/cycle

22 hours ago, pether said:

again - it doesn't work like that.

you can remove those doors, they will generate exactly the same amount of kcal, 50/cycle

The bug is that when radiation recovery was changed in early access to occur when using the bathroom instead of gradually during the day, the radiation eater trait was never updated to match, despite being written only a few weeks before. Therefore, the radiation recovery event which is (now wastefully) triggered every second does not actually recover any rads, so the radiation eater trait listening for radiation recovery only adds a negligible amount of calories.

Archived